Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Enough people do. How many governors rushed to reopen without much in the way of mitigation? Big surprise - cases spiking across the nation. Trump starts pushing to have schools reopened no matter what... big surprise - my Republican governor has just declared that the Head of the state's department of education MUST offer 5 days per week in-class instruction regardless of the state of the pandemic.

Not the entire nation follows Trump's word. But enough people do to cause serious damage.
What state would that be?

I doubt if this is true
Quote:
MUST offer 5 days per week in-class instruction regardless of the state of the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Masks are required in Austin in buildings open to the public, and so Walmart falls under that rule.

But the compliance at HEB is 100%, from what I can tell, and at Walmart a lot of patrons enter wearing a mask and then pull it down under their chin while they shop.

Because . . . well, they're stupid.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He seems to have an unusual amount of influence on the decisions of Republican politicians, yes. As for his rank and file supporters, well their allegiance and subservience are legendary. Maybe 60% of us are smarter than that, but that is not sufficient compliance to stop Covid.
Examples

Old 07-15-2020, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I've been to several stores since Arizona cities and counties have instituted mask policies, Walmarts, Costcos and Sam's Clubs all are able to enforce it because they have someone at the front. Fry's and WinCos do not and I typically see about 5-10 people when shopping not wearing a mask. Mind you I am trying to shop and not trying to spot these idiots that don't or couldn't be bothered to wear a mask.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:43 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nor does he have authority to dictate whether schools open, but that is not stopping him from using the bully pulpit to influence Republican states. All that common sense asks is that he use his influence to lobby for widespread mask wearing as recommended by his own health advisors as well as those from around the globe. He is doing the opposite (ok, you got me there. That is malfeasance in office not a leadership vacuum) and it is costing lives.

Anyway, Walmart is showing leadership that Trump will not. Let's hope that more big businesses follow suit ASAP.
He isn't dictating whether schools open.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You haven't noticed that there are an awful lot of small-minded people who hang on Trump's every word? Or that many Republican governors and mayors tow whatever line Trump is handing out?

If not, you haven't been paying attention.
Any more than a awful lot of small-minded people hung on Obamas every word, or pick any other Dem, Hillary, or that Democratic governors and mayors tow whatever line Obama was handing out.

Have you noticed that politicians generally conform to their parties politics as do constituents? You think this is somehow something new. And while that is generally the case there are as many if not more folks (on both political sides) who are capable of independent thought and do not agree or follow every word of their parties ideology much less personal beliefs.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia Joe B View Post
Except it has already been proven the virus has no problem going right through those silly cloth masks.
Where was that proven?

What I'M seeing is, for example, a hairdresser who cut hair and then tested positive didn't spread covid to her 132 customers she worked on while she was unknowingly contagious, because both she and the customer were wearing masks.

Where have you seen it proven that someone contracted covid from someone who was masked, while they themselves were also masked?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:51 AM

What if there had been a movement, when seatbelts became required in cars, for half the people to decide it would be a political statement in support for their political party to refuse to wear seatbelts?

How about fire alarms in hotel rooms? What if one political party decided it was an affront to them to install fire alarms?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What if there had been a movement, when seatbelts became required in cars, for half the people to decide it would be a political statement in support for their political party to refuse to wear seatbelts?

How about fire alarms in hotel rooms? What if one political party decided it was an affront to them to install fire alarms?
More people will die in car accidents. I already almost never wear my seat belt, whether driving or as a passenger. Never got a ticket for it either.

For seat belts, since not wearing one only impacts you, it's a stupid law and should not exist. Let everyone decide. Fire alarms in hotels is different as the business has some obligation to protect their customers.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Enough people do. How many governors rushed to reopen without much in the way of mitigation? Big surprise - cases spiking across the nation. Trump starts pushing to have schools reopened no matter what... big surprise - my Republican governor has just declared that the Head of the state's department of education MUST offer 5 days per week in-class instruction regardless of the state of the pandemic.

Not the entire nation follows Trump's word. But enough people do to cause serious damage.
And you think their decision was due to Trump? How so.
I listened to my Republican governor's daily speeches throughout this pandemic along with his medical experts and question and answer segments. The decisions made were a collaboration of state experts and community input based on our state and individual counties individual situations. Had nothing to do with Trump or being a Republican.

Presently in my state each school district has been meeting (A collaboration of educators, parents, health officials and administrators) to discuss how each county will go about school reopening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies