Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 01:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Do you not understand that Republican presidents believe in strong states rights.. It is up to the states to make decisions about their state.. Republicans believe in small federal government.. the dems love big federal government..

Trump is stepping back because he is a Republican and letting states and companies decide on what they want to do.. Every city and town will make their own decision and not have the Federal government dictate to the whole country what they should do.This is much better for each state, each county and each city to make their own decisions .
If that's the way that Trump feels, then why is he threatening schools that don't open with funding cuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:02 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If that's the way that Trump feels, then why is he threatening schools that don't open with funding cuts?
It was a tweet.
Are all tweets serious threats.
Does anyone believe that the president has the power to cut federal funding to specific schools if they don't do what he says?

Old 07-15-2020, 02:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Do you not understand that Republican presidents believe in strong states rights.. It is up to the states to make decisions about their state.. Republicans believe in small federal government.. the dems love big federal government..

Trump is stepping back because he is a Republican and letting states and companies decide on what they want to do.. Every city and town will make their own decision and not have the Federal government dictate to the whole country what they should do.This is much better for each state, each county and each city to make their own decisions .
Except when it comes to schools...

Old 07-15-2020, 02:32 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Walmart where I live in PA has been requiring masks since March/April. Until about a month ago, they had lines outside (in SNOW)
You had snow in June? Brrr.

Quote:
No more outside lines but still employee checking masks on entry. HOWEVER, once inside the store, people are wearing their masks around chins and necks, and NOBODY is enforcing HOW customers are wearing masks after entry. Forget about those one way aisles and social distancing.
Sounds like WalMart in your area is a good place to avoid. I like to avoid stupid people.

Quote:
OUTSIDE in their Parking Lots? Very few people are keeping masks on going to their cars. Seeing even EMPLOYEES (on breaks?) outside talking on cell phones and smoking maskless.
Have you tried smoking with a mask on?

Anyway, you don't need to keep your mask on once you're outside as long as you're not in a crowd. I keep mine on as I walk to the car just because my hands are full and don't want to fuss with the mask. But it's not required to have your mask on in the parking lot.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:32 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
On WM's site it states exceptions for those with health conditions (that prevent wearing).

Does anyone know what that means? No further explanation is there.

I have a panic disorder and severe claustrophobia from childhood abuse (my Mother used to hold pillows over my face until I blacked out) and get panicky pulling shirts over my head without wide neck openings, like I can't wear turtlenecks as an example. NO way I can don a mask.
Doesn't your Walmart have touchless pickup with online ordering? Mine certainly does and I've been using it since before Covid-19. They just put all the groceries in the trunk - I love it!

Old 07-15-2020, 02:35 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It was a tweet.
Does anyone believe that the president has the power to cut federal funding to specific schools if they don't do what he says?

trump is so pathetic tweeting like a fool

Old 07-15-2020, 02:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
It was a tweet.
Deflection.

If Trump believes school openings should be up to the state, why is he threatening schools with removing their federal funding if they don't open to in-school student attendance?

Old 07-15-2020, 02:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
It was a tweet.
Statement from the President should be...I don't know...Presidential?

Is that too much to ask?

If it wasn't a threat, what exactly was it?

Old 07-15-2020, 03:53 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
It was a tweet.
Nobody thought a President could divert Congregational appropriated funds, but he did. He took money away from DoD- a large part which was earmarked for schools and other base improvements and he put it towards his border wall.

If he pushed to cut education funding, a large part of which goes towards specific assistance such as special needs children, what little support he has from suburban moms will erode even further. A move like this will only resonate with the base instinct die hard faithful, no other people.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-15-2020 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 04:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
we were in a Walmart yesterday in a town that requires masks when in public. Big signs posted at the entrance. Less than half the customers were wearing masks.
In my town, masks are mandatory as of Saturday. When I went to my local Wal-Mart Sunday morning a worker at the entrance was handing out masks to people who didn't have any. Inside, everybody had a mask on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies