Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 PM

316 posts, read 155,489 times

Advertisements

In 2020, “whiteness” and “white culture” is being attacked by those on the left as being racist and in need of being overthrown. To define thing such as individualism, nuclear family and work ethic as being examples of “whiteness” is to say that we should not be practicing those things because they are racist and white supremacist.

The person posting here that says it is just defining what white culture is and trying to show there are different cultures is a moron. It is clearly defining those things as being racist. To say otherwise means you have been living under a rock the past 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 05:57 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,517 times
This obsession with working hard has led to epic wage slavery and the early graves of millions. It's a fallacy that you have to work hard to have a nice life, let alone a prosperous one. Can you imagine working 60+ hours a week and literally spending a few hours a week with your children - setting them up to replicate a life of drudgery? Ick.

And because I'm not white nor religious, I guess I don't see a brutal work ethic as an admirable trait. I think it suggests a hive mind and lack of ingenuity.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:57 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Can you point out where?
go here, click the first link and scroll down to ‘future orientation’

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...an-pushes.html

Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Looks like a dream society to me. That’s how I was raised!
me too.

why are they investigating ‘whiteness’ at the national museum of African American history?
shouldn’t they be investigating ‘blackness’?

Old 07-15-2020, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
go here, click the first link and scroll down to ‘future orientation’

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...an-pushes.html
Ok. I went and found it - my "find" didn't find it because it's a graphic, not text.

You're right, it's in there. I apologize.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
The best thing at this museum is the food.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:20 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
ok so.... working hard is "white"

liking the scientific method is "white"

i dont want to get all debaty just yet but are these things considered bad? are these "white" ways of thinking needing change?
This is the age of liberalism. Everything white is "bad" and all highly regarded virtues of the past are "bad".

Now lethargy, contempt for education, violence, single parent families, drug use, and committing crimes are "virtues" of a woke, diversified America.

If we would all just embrace all the aspects of black culture, we too would be of lower income and without prospects in an age of technology. Black culture is truly something to emulate when seeking to be downwardly mobile.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The museum is beautiful and I loved visiting it. I especially love the decorative filigree exterior. Thanks for the link. It is a very thoughtful, respectful approach to starting discussions about race and assumptions. Wonderful job.
The assumption that functional behavior and civilization advancing practices are racial? That seems extremely racist.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ok. I went and found it - my "find" didn't find it because it's a graphic, not text.

You're right, it's in there. I apologize.
no problem. no way to know it was there from the OP link.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
OP, you're so entrenched in our cultural expectations that you can't even see that they're choices, and not automatically virtuous.
There is no moral nor logical requirement to agree with you that these choices are not automatically virtuous. They tend to be characteristics of high functioning individuals and cultures.

Quote:
Some cultures emphasize the value of working cooperatively, for the good of the group and not basically every man for himself.
That White culture doesn't do this is an extremely dumb myth. Literally all of the advancements and systems that give you polite, advanced society are the result of a deep cultural cooperation that other people give lip service to but largely do not exhibit (and instead "cooperate" by failing to advance envious neighborhoods and killing one another at the highest rates in the West, and having few real institutions of their own).

We give lip service to a certain brand of individualism too, but that's largely an echo of frontier rhetoric and society.

To be an adult, you need to stop taking words so literally and examine things more closely to see what they really are.

Quote:
The white way in America emphasizes individual success and self-reliance, but to see it the other way - of groups working collaboratively for group success isn't wrong. It's just a different approach than the majority culture here.
^^ This comment reflects intellectual failure.

Quote:
Believing that social structure should involve large extended families living together - grandparents, cousins, etc., all sharing the same space and same mealtimes isn't WRONG, it's just not the middle class white way.
^^ Very arguably an insignificant point. You are essentially pointing out a function of class, not race, and an annoying neediness to recognize what poor immigrants are used to. As soon as they get money, most live the "middle class White way". It has little bearing on any racial debate.

Quote:
The white middle class way of having mom, dad, two kids in a 4 bedroom house with everyone having their own private space is not a universal good, it's just the majority way.
This is only worthy of analysis if you want to destroy it. Otherwise, no one cares what you do. As long as you don't care what they do. If you care how they structure their families, then you are a social danger to this nation. You seem to not want them to hold a negative opinion of your highlighted lifestyle. You will have a tough time making an argument in the other direction (that their lifestyle is negative), and your motives will be rightfully suspect.

In addition, they are allowed to hold whatever opinion that they wish. This is the United States. If you dislike that, then this isn't the nation for you.

Quote:
And really, is it a great thing that in the past (this doesn't seem to be happening today) middle class white culture was all about work?
Again, with the propagandist generalizations that bear no resemblance to reality. Work is necessary, prioritized, and valued (and you won't change that, and why would you care about what we think and do?). But to say that our culture was ever "all about" work is childish.

Quote:
That it was shameful to take leisure? That on Saturday, the man was expected to get up and mow his lawn and wash his car and pull the screens off the windows and hose them, after working 40 hours?
Blah blah blah... badly written narrative.

Quote:
And that it was pretty common for men to die before reaching a retirement age where they weren't going into a job they don't like 40 hours a week? Why is that automatically a "good"? Because we say so, I guess.
Blah blah blah... badly written narrative from someone who is all of a sudden an actuary. Please. It is good because we choose our culture, for reasons developed over thousands of years, and that's that. Why do you care about the work culture of another group? Its highly suspicious. No one is going to become more lazy to make you comfortable in your laziness.

Quote:
Another way to look at life, is to say "I don't really need all that much, I'll work some and then we'll gather around and sing together and cook together". That's not wrong, it's just different.
We do that too. Your caricatures are absolutely childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies