Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the statement Black Lives Matter
I support the statement Black Lives Matter not the organization 48 27.59%
I support both the statement Black Lives Matter and the organization 16 9.20%
I don’t support the Black Lives Matter statement or the organization 97 55.75%
I don’t care 13 7.47%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

I heard that the Black Forest in Germany is racist and BLM/Antifa want to topple al the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 11:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
There's no need to add a "too", though.

The statement "black lives matter" doesn't logically require anyone else's lives to matter less. That's simply knee-jerk defensiveness from people that are uncomfortable with the idea that black folks might be getting the pointy end of the stick.
That’s not true. By calling out one specific race to say that their lives matter, and excluding all others, the message is that black lives matter more. That the BLM is so adamantly opposed to adding the word “too” is just being defiant, and effectively telling white people that they can just s**** it up, and tough s**** if they don’t like it. That is NOT a wise way to get allies.

As far as black folks getting the pointy end of the stick, that is another debate. In many ways, they are getting preferences - such as affirmative action. Another topic entirely, as I said. But saying that people who object to the BLM slogan as being exclusive as being racist, which is what you just did in a subtle way, is a BIG problem. It’s the fall-back of so many on the left to call people racist because they disagree with whatever the liberal cause dejour happens to be.

Last edited by Rachel976; 07-19-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 11:44 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Why would I, a black man, support BLM when this happens every week:

Quote:
(CNN) At least 49 people have been shot, including seven fatally, in incidents across Chicago this weekend, police said, continuing a trend of increased shootings and murders in the city.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/ch...end/index.html

Black gangs clearly don’t believe in black lives mattering, so why would anyone else? 6,000 blacks die at the hands of other blacks annually, 50% of all murders in America.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:47 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

The statement "black lives matter" doesn't logically require anyone else's lives to matter less.
Sweet. “White lives matter” should create their own group any day now.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:52 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
I suspect there is sampling error with this poll. I specifically think this because of being a long time member of this forum and suspecting that the average poster on this section of the forum skews further to the right than the average American. This is only my hypothesis though.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/samplingerror.asp

Old 07-19-2020, 12:06 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That’s not true. By calling out one specific race to say that their lives matter, and excluding all others, the message is that black lives matter more. That the BLM is so adamantly opposed to adding the word “too” is just being defiant, and effectively telling white people that they can just s**** it up, and tough s**** if they don’t like it. That is NOT a wise way to get allies.
Aaaaand just to prove that you don't actually believe that, and are just using this to advance anti-Black propaganda...

then your opinion of the NAACP is...

After all, their name is the... ADVANCEMENT OF COLORED PEOPLE ...

So using your logic... NAACP is obviously a racist organization bent on Black supremacy bc only their advancement matters, right?

Old 07-19-2020, 12:16 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Aaaaand just to prove that you don't actually believe that, and are just using this to advance anti-Black propaganda...

What will it take to get it through your thick brainwashed skull that being against BLM (organization) is nowhere near the same as being "anti-black"? Your position is utter nonsense and racist to boot.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why would I, a black man, support BLM when this happens every week:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/ch...end/index.html

Black gangs clearly don’t believe in black lives mattering, so why would anyone else? 6,000 blacks die at the hands of other blacks annually, 50% of all murders in America.
So we should assume you also oppose after school programs for Black children? Job fairs for Black students? Resume writing and skills workshops for Black people?

Bc if your position is that you're going to oppose a Black organisation bc a separate issue hasn't been resolved then you've got a long list of organizations to campaign against.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
What will it take to get it through your thick brainwashed skull that being against BLM (organization) is nowhere near the same as being "anti-black"? Your position is utter nonsense and racist to boot.
Then list your objections to a group fighting for Black equality that aren't racist or outright lies about the organization. I'll wait.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:25 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Exactly! Leftists have it so turned around in their Reverse World that anyone who says something that includes everybody - blacks, whites, bi-racials, gays, etc., - is now being accused of pushing "anti-black propaganda."

Besides which, BLM - the organization itself - is racist and anti-Semitic, and I don't support an organization that hates me for my skin color and/or my religion. What kind of crazy leftist DEMANDS that people support a hate group that says horrible things about them??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies