Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:40 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,691,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
If someone is a officially deputized police or sheriff’s officer and is enforcing a duly enacted law, yes.
If, if, if !!! Who has passed such a law ?

Last edited by phma; 07-16-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,360,627 times
I'm a conservative and very proud to be one, but I voluntarily wear a mask on shopping trips and on my local senior paratransit. Do I think this action makes a difference in the spread of the corona pandemic? Probably not, but it doesn't do any harm, though I'm not enthused at constantly re-processing a portion of my own breath -- however small, and there are probably people in poorer health for whom a mask is more pf a burden -- or a threat. And occasional encounters with self-appointed "vigilantes" who see this event as an excuse to force their point of view on everyone else isn't scoring them any points with me.

Do I think this pandemic was deliberately engineered? Highly unlikely, but I can view it as a random event (but one we have to think about more often as technical (progress?) advances and faster and more efficient transportation continues to "shrink" the globe).

And the awareness of these possibilities among the general public has been quietly, but steadily increasing for many years, via works of both non-fiction (Richard Preston's "The Hot Zone" -- since bastardized into a lowest-common denominator TV mini-series) and fiction (Steven King's "the Stand" -- regrettably embraced by a few of the more simplistic as a general anti-nuclear, anti-technology, and anti-entrepreneurial rant.

The point being, that when (to borrow from Kipling's (the Recessional"), when "the tumult and the shouting ceases", we will all be better-equipped to deal with the next such crisis when it arises -- as it surely will.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-16-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 11:49 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You made a free choice !!! Lets celebrate that !!! Its a founding principle !!!

The question I have is, if someone disagrees with your choice should they be allowed to arrest you and charge you with a crime or citation ?
You can be fined for not wearing a seatbelt
A woman can be fined for not wearing a top (shirt/bra) in public
In some states, you can be fined for not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle
You can be fined and license revoked if you don't 'cover yourself' with various forms of insurance

I don't know where you get this business about "if someone disagrees", that seems irrelevant, but if there is a law or mandate on the books, then it seems clearly the answer is yes.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:54 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,531,722 times
I wear my trump mask. I figure, if I have to wear one, i am going to make sure people know republicans DO wear masks. Plus it upsets the far left/anti trumpers.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,555,871 times
THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE. Those who are afraid believe they're better people than those who aren't, and will subconsciously look for ways to multiply that fear, because it's their virtue.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
See this is how it always goes..

X point is made.. liberal makes a Y point... x point is made refuting Y point, liberal uses Y point as the argument again ..

round and round in circles..

I fear liberals are just not capable of logic.
Bless your little heart!

Old 07-16-2020, 03:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,855,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s not a conspiracy you idiots. It’s a precaution. It’s consideration. It’s common sense and manners.

My elderly neighbor asked me to check his irrigation control/rain sensor. I wore my cloth mask to protect him because I care about him.

See how that works?
Good for you. But it appears that you need to target your message to your fellow conservatives, because they're more likely to actively oppose wearing masks by NOT wearing masks. And you know that.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I wear my trump mask. I figure, if I have to wear one, i am going to make sure people know republicans DO wear masks. Plus it upsets the far left/anti trumpers.
I'm an anti-Trumper but not left. Your trump mask wouldn't phase me in the least; I'd probably not even notice you or your mask and if I did notice, I wouldn't care. Trumplets think people who don't worship at the altar of orange are somehow connected to Antifa.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You are far too rational to be a conservative these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Congrats, your a real conservative, not a Trump Cult member...
The Russia Hoax called and wants to remind you that the "rational" contingent couldn't bring itself to accept election results and destroyed the social fabric of this nation by demanding it invested in a tin foil hat conspiracy theory for three years.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:46 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,405,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm an anti-Trumper but not left. .
It is very difficult to be anti-Trump and not be on the Left, considering Trump's platforms. In fact, its virtually impossible. Most "Right Wing" anti-Trumpers, at least in the media, have their ideological roots in the thought of the post WWII NYC Trotskyists like Irving Kristol and his gang: all crypto-communists pretending to be "Right Wing" in order to prevent the Right from ever being too effective against the left. Does that logic sound familiar to your thinking? I would bet that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies