Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Nah, according to Trump supporters, the virus is a hoax. Probably why they don't like wearing a mask. They don't even believe the virus exists.
ain't America great? You're allowed to say this, and sadly maybe even believe it. Even if it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 11:33 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s not a conspiracy you idiots. It’s a precaution. It’s consideration. It’s common sense and manners.

My elderly neighbor asked me to check his irrigation control/rain sensor. I wore my cloth mask to protect him because I care about him.

See how that works?
I agree it is common sense and, in terms of health economics, a public utility (helpful and beneficial without a negative cost).

I am moderately conservative. I watch all three major news networks to "balance liberal vs conservative news" on the opinions, articles, stories, etc. and "hear them out". Basically, I know there can be two sides to a story. So, I often watch Fox news. I actually like Shannon's show because I used to live in Tallahassee and went to FSU. But I also watch Rachel's show on MSNBC or CNN with Anderson Cooper.

So, I watched Fox with a segment on a former New York Times reporter on Tucker's show (who is on vacation after that writer scandal). The reporter insisted "there is no scientific evidence" to support the use of masks in this pandemic. I was appalled.

I studied clinical epidemiology in graduate school. When it comes to clinical research trials, they can come under heavy scrutiny. It begins with the study design. The gold standard is a double-blind, random control clinical trial. That is very hard to do, so compromises are often made. I looked at studies posted by the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale (a very conservative, bright red suburb of Phoenix) and Stanford (liberal Bay Area). Both had more than enough scientific evidence to support the use of masks. I'd rather listen to the views of scientists who routinely go through peer reviews rather than a political reporter without a STEM background. The latter seems ludicrous anyone would actually believe him just because he is a reporter. He probably partied his way through college while STEM majors were studying 15-20 weeks per 3 credits just to get an "A" (often taking 12-15 credits per semester). I thought Fox erred on that part - but that was Tucker's show. And he is on vacation since his writer resigned.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...k/art-20485449

I am a moderately conservative though - definitely not hard right nor far left.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:05 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE. Those who are afraid believe they're better people than those who aren't, and will subconsciously look for ways to multiply that fear, because it's their virtue.
Exactly! Those who aren't afraid, are regarded as being jejune or outright idiotic. Meanwhile the prevailing "wisdom" is that the economy ought to be allowed to burn, just to "save lives".

Old 07-17-2020, 02:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
THE LOCKDOWN HAS TURNED FEAR INTO A VIRTUE. Those who are afraid believe they're better people than those who aren't, and will subconsciously look for ways to multiply that fear, because it's their virtue.
What's ironic is that fear rules much of how the far right tends to think and respond to current events. They don't want to believe what's happening right now because their fear won't let them come to grips with it. I've never heard an anti masker on here exclaim that nearly 140,000 have died, only that we should open back up the economy like Florida has. That the virus is overhyped. That right there is a disassociation with reality. Donald Trump says the virus is no big deal so they parrot his idiocy. Why? Because Trump keeps them in their happy space, their beautiful lie.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s not a conspiracy you idiots. It’s a precaution. It’s consideration. It’s common sense and manners.

My elderly neighbor asked me to check his irrigation control/rain sensor. I wore my cloth mask to protect him because I care about him.

See how that works?
My only complaint about the masks is that they're basically useless for healthy people. As someone who rarely leaves his house, and who never goes out to eat, I know I'm not sick, so the mask for me is just an annoyance. Especially since I usually only leave in the middle of the night and I social distance like crazy and wash my hands after I touch anything.

The only possible way I would either get coronavirus or give it someone else is if it happened within my own house or at my sister's house.

The only way I would wear a mask is if it was mandated. If my neighbor asked me to check his irritation control sensor I would not wear a mask. It would do absolutely zilch but make me hot and annoyed.

The recent uptick was a combination of protesters in mass gatherings, and bars and restaurants reopening. The spike that started about a month ago was mostly younger people, which is why the death rate remained low despite the number of infections. But the young people then went home and got everyone else sick.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-17-2020 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 05:29 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if COVID "goes away" (and that only means cases, etc drop way down) then Trump wins. A simple but widely-placed ad from him saying "Wear a Mask" and showing him doing it ... game over?
This is what I don’t understand. If he controlled the virus it’s a win for him, and he would easily win in November.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:46 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
It's true cancer kills more than the 'rona. It's also true that if we could stop cancer by avoiding crowds and wearing a mask - we would do it. Wouldn't you?

Meantime, the low mortality rate is a blessing - but it's not the (main) reason for all the action. This is about resources / hospitals. That's pretty much it.

That's why the incessant whining about the "low death rate" doesn't seem to be having any effect...because this is not, and never was, about dead people, but it makes for fine headlines.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:01 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:

There doesn't seem to be anything accurate or factual in your opinion.

The simplest method that health officials recommend for stopping the spread of the virus, is wearing a mask. Mask wearing is not a political, cultural or virtuous statement except to those who continually wish to weaponize the virus and divide we the people. If wearing a mask is a symbol of anything it may be a sign of intellect, frankly.

If you want to be a part of prolonging the grip this virus has on our public health, national security and economy, go ahead and flaunt your hocus pocus science or your rebellious spirit or your own fearful outrage, but you should know it is way past time to halt insulting the intellect of Americans who truly desire to be a part of the solution and not the problem.

I wish you well, but get out of the way of Making America Healthy Again! America is calling and she is tired of this special kind of stupid that is dragging her over the cliff.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-17-2020 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 06:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
My only complaint about the masks is that they're basically useless for healthy people. As someone who rarely leaves his house, and who never goes out to eat, I know I'm not sick, so the mask for me is just an annoyance. Especially since I usually only leave in the middle of the night and I social distance like crazy and wash my hands after I touch anything.

The only possible way I would either get coronavirus or give it someone else is if it happened within my own house or at my sister's house.

The only way I would wear a mask is if it was mandated. If my neighbor asked me to check his irritation control sensor I would not wear a mask. It would do absolutely zilch but make me hot and annoyed.

The recent uptick was a combination of protesters in mass gatherings, and bars and restaurants reopening. The spike that started about a month ago was mostly younger people, which is why the death rate remained low despite the number of infections. But the young people then went home and got everyone else sick.
You may know you're not sick, but strangers you interact with in public don't know that. Why would they? For all they know you could have attended a wild party with 100 people last night.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

If you want schools open, masks need to happen
If you want businesses open, masks need to happen
If you want the economy to restart, masks need to happen.

One of the two major candidates support both opening the economy AND wearing masks. I won't say who it is, but it isn't Trump.
Don't forget,

"If you want Trump to have a better shot at reelection, the economy needs to restart."

There really is something funny to me about how Trump's own supporters are actively working to sabotage Trump's election. No masks, no mitigation, increased spread of the virus, schools might not reopen, businesses operating at 25% capacity, etc etc.

Looks like the mask-wearing populace was trying to save the economy after all. Way to go, Trumpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies