Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s not a conspiracy you idiots. It’s a precaution. It’s consideration. It’s common sense and manners.

My elderly neighbor asked me to check his irrigation control/rain sensor. I wore my cloth mask to protect him because I care about him.

See how that works?

I hope you get a bazillion reps for your post. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 07:01 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
If mask are so effective, why are infections up significantly compared to when almost no one was wearing one months ago.

That's easy. One month ago people were still stuck in their homes.

One month ago the virus (via a tourist previously shut in his home) had not reached some populated areas.

One month ago some southern states had fewer folks inside enjoying the air conditioning.

One month ago, our bars and restaurants weren't open.

And 100 other reasons, few having to with masks being ineffective. It's a complex problem, with lots of partial solutions. Masks are just one.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:11 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Masks don't remove the need for the other measures: social distancing, lots of hand washing.

That's something a lot of people don't understand. They are but one tool to use to help protect others from your spewage. Only masks of N95-like quality can block 95% or better virus from getting in, but even if you're getting 50 to 60% effectiveness from your mask, it's a lot better than nothing at all.

'murica is the land of oppositional tantruming toddlers. IF people were told they cannot have a mask they'd be furious and want masks, even the red hat-wearing covidiots. "youz cant tellz me what I can do or have!!11!"

Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It’s not a conspiracy you idiots. It’s a precaution. It’s consideration. It’s common sense and manners.

My elderly neighbor asked me to check his irrigation control/rain sensor. I wore my cloth mask to protect him because I care about him.

See how that works?
Did you fall for the BS infected numbers and deaths like a mindless bot or did you think?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:20 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
If mask are so effective, why are infections up significantly compared to when almost no one was wearing one months ago.

That's easy. One month ago people were still stuck in their homes..
This is the same argument used when we were sheltering and had 30K cases. Oh but if we weren't sheltering it would be a lot worse.

Now, you come back and say Oh well, you can't rely on the numbers because there are really a lot more cases and now it is just testing that is causing it the increases.

The states that got hit hardest early have all opened up and have low new infections... so masks work in the north but not in the south?

Fact, this virus is spreading and there has never ever been any proof that sheltering OR mask wearing does jack.

But fine, now that the bullies have forced some retail chains to mandate masks... I want to see results. But I doubt it.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

That's easy. One month ago people were still stuck in their homes.

One month ago the virus (via a tourist previously shut in his home) had not reached some populated areas.

One month ago some southern states had fewer folks inside enjoying the air conditioning.

One month ago, our bars and restaurants weren't open.

And 100 other reasons, few having to with masks being ineffective. It's a complex problem, with lots of partial solutions. Masks are just one.
True and more importantly a lot more people are being tested. We now have more accurate numbers. The death rate was high because the most vulnerable caught it first and the least vulnerable were not tested even though they had it.

We timed the elderly in a 40 yard dash. Then a week later we timed everyone ages 20-60 and we are surprised the 40 yard dash times got better?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Masks don't remove the need for the other measures: social distancing, lots of hand washing.

That's something a lot of people don't understand. They are but one tool to use to help protect others from your spewage. Only masks of N95-like quality can block 95% or better virus from getting in, but even if you're getting 50 to 60% effectiveness from your mask, it's a lot better than nothing at all.

'murica is the land of oppositional tantruming toddlers. IF people were told they cannot have a mask they'd be furious and want masks, even the red hat-wearing covidiots. "youz cant tellz me what I can do or have!!11!"
World opinion, including an illustrative example, excellently elocuted in one paragraph . Kudos.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
What right is being infringed?
Forcing the private sector to make their customers wear masks. No ones rights are being violated. No one has a right to go into anothers place of business

Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Forcing the private sector to make their customers wear masks. No ones rights are being violated. No one has a right to go into anothers place of business
Or shutting down businesses. Imagine if you own a nightclub these days. Even the restaurants here in Miami-Dade can only operate with outdoor seating. For many that's a ticket to bankruptcy. Who gets to decide to put these businesses out of business? When they were coming up with all this crap, did they run economic models to see the extent of damage they're inflicting?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Or shutting down businesses. Imagine if you own a nightclub these days. Even the restaurants here in Miami-Dade can only operate with outdoor seating. For many that's a ticket to bankruptcy. Who gets to decide to put these businesses out of business? When they were coming up with all this crap, did they run economic models to see the extent of damage they're inflicting?
When it comes to the economy, we are listening to the same ones who didn't see the biggest collapse since the Great Depression coming. Boobus doesn't learn, boobus just does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies