Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 02:51 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So your argument is that you can only care about wrongdoing when it's done to you personally?
Isn't that advocating for a society without empathy or compassion entirely?

The thing is, society as a whole will ultimately decide that question- as to what is and isn't appropriate, just like literally the entire sum of human history. This is no different. Where it stops, I don't know, but it will eventually find a line, and perhaps it will even swing the other way just a bit. That's how cultural change works. Instead of arguing against change, maybe you should have conversations on how it should change. Be part of the solution, not just a wall opposing them all.

With no police, it is functionally a society without laws or rules. With no enforcement, one can rob, murder, steal, and rape without consequence.

Social worker comes to respond? Just kill them- why not?

Unsolved crime? Sorry- there is no one investigating it or anyone who has any training to look into things.

A jury convicts someone? Just leave the courthouse and tell them to go to hell. No one will come and apprehend you, so you would be crazy to go to jail

Liberals HAVE GONE INSANE. There comes a point when a political party abandons simple common sense issues and actually implements policy that is beyond insane. That time is now among dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 02:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
This is where reading comprehension comes into play. I said that I voted democrat most of my life, not that I was a dyed in the wool democratic fanboy. In many cases it was the best of two bad choices. I have problems with both major parties but the sudden lurch to the radical left in the last few months has been disturbing. That and the fact that many reasonable, moderate seeming people on the left, refuse to see it as has been evidenced in many of these posts.
Again, BLM and the protests were not partisan. There are Republicans- maybe not that many- that support BLM. In fact, all polling has shown that the majority of Americans support BLM and their fight against systemic racism. Almost everyone on both sides agrees that rioting and violence should not be part of that fight. So I have no idea what you're even arguing here. If you're a real person, you just seem to be looking for an excuse to vote for the other side.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:53 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
This is where reading comprehension comes into play. I said that I voted democrat most of my life, not that I was a dyed in the wool democratic fanboy. In many cases it was the best of two bad choices. I have problems with both major parties but the sudden lurch to the radical left in the last few months has been disturbing. That and the fact that many reasonable, moderate seeming people on the left, refuse to see it as has been evidenced in many of these posts.
I wasn't speaking specifically of you. I actually was a dyed in the wool Republican until 2004. Neither side is without blame for sure. But especially now, I don't see the choice. IMO we can't have another four years of Trump.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
With no police, it is functionally a society without laws or rules. With no enforcement, one can rob, murder, steal, and rape without consequence.

Social worker comes to respond? Just kill them- why not?

Unsolved crime? Sorry- there is no one investigating it or anyone who has any training to look into things.

A jury convicts someone? Just leave the courthouse and tell them to go to hell. No one will come and apprehend you, so you would be crazy to go to jail

Liberals HAVE GONE INSANE. There comes a point when a political party abandons simple common sense issues and actually implements policy that is beyond insane. That time is now among dems.
Again, liberals/Democrats aren't advocating abolishing police departments, only shifting their responsibilities to handle crime only while investing in neighborhoods to reduce crime-causing conditions. That's it. That there might be some individuals with nutty views wanting to completely get rid of the police does not make it representative whatsoever of viewpoints on the Left. There are nuts everywhere, of all political persuasions. Should we use Q-Anon nonsense to judge the entire Right?

Old 07-16-2020, 02:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I wasn't speaking specifically of you. I actually was a dyed in the wool Republican until 2004. Neither side is without blame for sure. But especially now, I don't see the choice. IMO we can't have another four years of Trump.
Maybe because the tantrum on the left would be taken to nuclear levels and they would do more than burn down communities, and remove statues, assault innocent people, and whatever they have coming next.

All of the chaos has been caused by anti-Trump people whining, or making up conspiracies. Not saying Trump is Mr. Clean - but he isn't who the left says he is either.

The truth is the people who actually want to country to do well are the target along with Trump.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:00 PM

27 posts, read 7,716 times
Quote:
They all have, every time they refuse to address gun violence. They do when they make excuses every time Trump or some other Republican incites minority division. Doing the standard "thoughts and prayers" solves nothing. It's playing lip-service while doing nothing to change it.

I have no issue with the idea of being anti-fascist. My grandfather fought against fascists in WWII. Why would I be against that? Why would anyone? Antifa, though, is another conservative boogeyman that now gets blamed for everything. Studies have shown that despite all the rhetoric, "antifa" is not an actual source of political violence. It's just more projection. But hey, if you find specific examples of members of "antifa" committing violence, I'll be happy to condemn that.

I don't think you know what a domestic terrorist is and are really watering down the terminology.
Do you also condemn the democrat politicians who refuse to address inner city violence, like Chicago and NYC lately? How do you think defunding or abolishing the police will help?

The problem with anitifa is they consider anyone they disagree with as a fascist and it's a pretty flexible definition

Old 07-16-2020, 03:01 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Again, liberals/Democrats aren't advocating abolishing police departments, only shifting their responsibilities to handle crime only while investing in neighborhoods to reduce crime-causing conditions. That's it. That there might be some individuals with nutty views wanting to completely get rid of the police does not make it representative whatsoever of viewpoints on the Left. There are nuts everywhere, of all political persuasions. Should we use Q-Anon nonsense to judge the entire Right?
The Minneapolis city council voted to abolish the police department. That means no cops.

Of course, all city council members there are dems, with the exception of one communist.

Of course, all of them have three security guards for themselves.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe because the tantrum on the left would be taken to nuclear levels and they would do more than burn down communities, and remove statues, assault innocent people, and whatever they have coming next.

All of the chaos has been caused by anti-Trump people whining, or making up conspiracies. Not saying Trump is Mr. Clean - but he isn't who the left says he is either.

The truth is the people who actually want to country to do well are the target along with Trump.
And you know all these people are leftists how? Did you interview them and ask their party affiliations? You have no links or sources to support your assertions.

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Did Biden issue a new policy statement about defunding?

He has said he doesn't support it,

27 posts, read 7,716 times
Quote:
Again, BLM and the protests were not partisan. There are Republicans- maybe not that many- that support BLM. In fact, all polling has shown that the majority of Americans support BLM and their fight against systemic racism. Almost everyone on both sides agrees that rioting and violence should not be part of that fight. So I have no idea what you're even arguing here. If you're a real person, you just seem to be looking for an excuse to vote for the other side.
I'm not looking for an excuse to vote for Trump if that is what you mean. I'm saying I am someone who has voted for moderate dems most of my life who is more of a moderate myself and I don't like the direction the left is heading in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies