Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 09:06 AM

25,683 posts, read 12,765,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I haven't seen any voices from the left in recent memory that don't actively hate the country and want it to fail. It's possible that they exist, but their silence is telling.
They exist, and they are in the majority of the Democrat party. They are silent because they are allowing the radical left do their bidding,& they dont want to undermine the war the radicals are waging on their behalf...so indeed...their silence is telling.

ALL of the radical left "hate America" crap, is a lunatic fringe (~20%) of of the Dem party. The media amplifies their words/actions to make them appear larger-than-life, and the dominant force of the Democrat party...they are not.

The media does this to push their own radical left agenda, & because its very effective at selling advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 09:14 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueguy58 View Post
I'm not exactly thrilled the way the Dems have been appeasing the far left but aint no way I'd want a Trump regime 2.0
Step away from the Communist Mainsteam Media brainwashing you ...

Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
One of the new catchphrases we've been hearing is "Silence is Violence". This is meant to suggest that if you are silent on racism, you are complicit in the violence it causes. The irony of that statement is so ridiculous that it serves as a perfect example of the current leftist insanity!

- Someone who is silent or not vocal enough in denouncing racism is complicit in violence committed by others.
- Meanwhile, people who are LITERALLY engaging in REAL violence, burning cities, attacking and killing people, occupying parts of cities, etc are apologized for and enabled. Their bail is paid for and they are not held to account by the left for their actions.

So in the left's view. If I stay home, pay my taxes, follow the law, act like a responsible citizen and decline to participate in BLM protests or activism, I am more evil and contemptible than someone who is out burning cities, tearing down public statues and assaulting or killing people! Can you see why this is no longer my party?
This is not new, though it's gotten far worse in recent times. This is one of the many, many reasons why I am a conservative. I want no part in this leftist "wrong is right" insanity.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:19 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They exist, and they are in the majority of the Democrat party. They are silent because they are allowing the radical left do their bidding,& they dont want to undermine the war the radicals are waging on their behalf...so indeed...their silence is telling.

ALL of the radical left "hate America" crap, is a lunatic fringe (~20%) of of the Dem party. The media amplifies their words/actions to make them appear larger-than-life, and the dominant force of the Democrat party...they are not.

The media does this to push their own radical left agenda, & because its very effective at selling advertising.
Your statements contradict themselves. You're saying that the non-radicals are the majority of the Democratic Party, yet they are being silent because they're letting the radicals act on their behalf. I take that to mean that the majority of the Democratic Party ARE radicals, either directly or covertly.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
No....you just proved that you are far too ignorant of a person when it comes to the topic at hand for me to waste my time on. Hopefully one day you educate yourself to the point where you can engage in intelligent conversation on the topic, if that day ever comes, I'll be around.

I mean, you are currently trying to re-write history from just 10 years ago as we speak suggesting that Obama wanted to cut down the deficit when the reality was that he was forced into it kicking and screaming.....and that was just cutting things down from 1.6 trillion a year to 600 billion a year in deficit spending. Obama and the Democrats were saying Republicans wanted to kill Grandma because they attempted to force just a little bit of fiscal responsibility on them.....but I know, you've been fed talking points and you don't know enough to do anything but parrot them here.
Uh huh. Claims about what I know from some child w/ a superficial grasp on history have no bearing on me.
Why did Republicans include tax increases under Obama to close the deficit, but didn't do the same under Trump?

Old 07-17-2020, 09:30 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I disagree - we were finally woke! Come on Clara - what's happening now will not affect us much but it will our children and grandchildren. Do you actually think that this movement today is going to stop? Little by little society will crumble and the rights and freedoms we had due to those fighting in WWII will disintegrate.

You and I will be long gone - but I can't imagine a world that is comprised of a cancel culture just because a FEW don't like something.
If allowed to continue, this ends in civil war, but we all know who has the guns. That is the genius of the founding fathers and unique to the world

BILL OF RIGHTS
1. You can say whatever you want
2. You can have guns to keep saying whatever you want

come get some

The irony is that these neo-Marxist college types are some of the softest snowflakes ever raised in human history. They consider opposing views "violence" and talk about feelings all day without being capable of any real work and without the strength to commit to any physical effort

It would be a massacre

Old 07-17-2020, 09:31 AM

8,956 posts, read 2,553,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Uh huh. Claims about what I know from some child w/ a superficial grasp on history have no bearing on me.
Sure thing killer, whatever you have to tell yourself. I called out your BS and you don't know enough to be embarrassed, we're done here.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:33 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
Sure thing killer, whatever you have to tell yourself. I called out your BS and you don't know enough to be embarrassed, we're done here.
What? You don't think it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about when you have to cut off a 2-sentence reply to avoid answering the question?

But just in case you missed it... Why did Republicans include tax increases under Obama to close the deficit, but didn't do the same under Trump?

Old 07-17-2020, 09:35 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadsnsunshine View Post
I've voted democrat most of my life and I've spent the last 3.5 years being as disgusted with Trump as anyone. These last few months though have taken what seemed like background noise about the radical left and amplified it into a loud, blaring wake-up call. The left in America has completely lost it's mind. It consists of either far left radicals or people who may be center left but apologize or enable far left radicals.

One of the new catchphrases we've been hearing is "Silence is Violence". This is meant to suggest that if you are silent on racism, you are complicit in the violence it causes. The irony of that statement is so ridiculous that it serves as a perfect example of the current leftist insanity!

- Someone who is silent or not vocal enough in denouncing racism is complicit in violence committed by others.
- Meanwhile, people who are LITERALLY engaging in REAL violence, burning cities, attacking and killing people, occupying parts of cities, etc are apologized for and enabled. Their bail is paid for and they are not held to account by the left for their actions.

So in the left's view. If I stay home, pay my taxes, follow the law, act like a responsible citizen and decline to participate in BLM protests or activism, I am more evil and contemptible than someone who is out burning cities, tearing down public statues and assaulting or killing people! Can you see why this is no longer my party?

However, that is not the reason why I brought up "Silence is Violence". I brought it up to turn it around and aim it back at the left. Your silence on what is happening to YOUR party makes YOU complicit as well.

I'm done with the left! I can't vote for Trump but I won't vote Dem either. Actually, as bad as I thought Trump was, the left in the last few months has horrified my more than the 3.5 years we've just suffered through. I never thought the term "defund or abolish" the police would be taken seriously. I never thought I'd see my own countrymen tearing down our statues and defacing our history. I never thought freedom of speech and ideas would erode to the point that it has in our media and universities.

The left champions itself as the party of science yet it will immediately silence and denounce any scientist that might contradict some of the left's sacred cows.
- We've seen it for decades now with climate change where any non-alarmist scientist is shunned and silenced.
- We see it with gender, where DNA no longer determines if you are male or female, your FEELINGS do!
- We see it with statistics on police arrests that show that racism is not the systemic problem it is being made out to be.
- We see it with Covid-19 and denigrating the effictiveness of Hydroxychlorquine simply to spite Trump who had advocated for it.
- We see it with people saying with a straight face, that mass protests and rioting are not a concern for spreading covid after we've just been told mass gatherings were bad and we could not see loved ones in their final moments in the hospital. We could not hold proper funerals but George Floyd had about THREE of them that were fit for a head of state!

Then we have the insanity of Cancel Culture, where you can have your life ruined by something you said 15 years ago.

This is a world where we have leftist professors in our universities saying the most racist, sexist things you can imagine with no shame or apology but if you tweet "blue lives matter" or simply say you approve of the duly elected president of United States as the CEO of Goya did, you deserve to be cancelled, boycotted and shamed.

This is a world where a children's cartoon like Paw Patrol is cancelled as offensive or triggering but the most vile gangster rap is condoned and celebrated.

This is a world where it's absolutely acceptable to be racist as long as it's towards white people. We call unpleasant white women "Karens" without any sense of shame or irony! Can you imagine if we had a represenative African American name for unpleasant black women? Can you imagine the media running article after article about the latest example of a "Shanice" behaving badly?
Can you imagine a bestselling book called Black fragilty or Asian fragility?
Can you imagine workshops to reduce your blackness?

It seems like the radical left wants to tear down the system. What do they plan on replacing it with? We had the opportunity to see this in action with CHOP/CHAZ and it ended as badly as you would expect. We are supposed to want to try this on a national level?

Our system is not perfect and it can be improved but tearing it all down and expecting whatever is cobbled together in place of it to work BETTER is just shear insanity that any thinking, rational adult should reject immediately.
Well, that's fine. Go your own way, think your own thoughts. Please take what I say here in the respectful spirit I give it.

It's easy to label everything that bugs you as 'the left', as if it was one great monolithic structure. Actually what you see are multiple disconnected people or groups in their own parochial issues, some are quite loud, some of which will not gain traction beyond a relatively small number of directly affected people while others might turn out to be serious concerns of national importance. Everything is vying for our attention, but not everything deserves it

I will say that on the matter of Hydroxychloroquine: it is an anti-malarial drug with serious side effects which has not shown itself to be a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19. It may show some promise later for people in certain stages of the disease, but no one knows at this time. It is irresponsible to promote a medicine which has not proven it's value and may actually do more harm than good. I was startled to see Trump promote it in his unprofessional manner and I have to wonder where he got that idea.

In other words, objection to promoting Hydroxychloroquine without it passing rigorous trials is not political, it is simply good medical sense.

On the matter of statues, most of the one's in question were not legitimate historical markers, they do not commemorate the fallen or some local battle, they were erected generations later to glorify people who had little to no connection with the community, often sponsored by the local KKK during the Jim Crow era long after the war.

So the fact a monument stands is not history per se (the history will always remain with a literate and well informed people) it is just a park decoration, and for many a stark reminder of the hate that existed when the thing was erected.

Since most statues are locally owned, on local public lands, the local citizens have a right to decide which monuments will stand in their parks. I don't approve of mobs tearing down public property, but if the local government wants them removed I am perfectly fine with it.

You will find that pundits will scream 'THE LEFT!' 'THE LEFT!' all the time because they need to find something sensational to expound upon. Later you will find that most people aren't like that at all, it's just a narrative intended to confuse and dishearten people.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any voices from the left in recent memory that don't actively hate the country and want it to fail. It's possible that they exist, but their silence is telling.
Correction, their silence is deafening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies