Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 01:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
May I ask where the evidence is. I keep asking if health officials are documenting whether covid test patients wore masks or no. I have seen no indication they do. How is this evidence collected?
Same question here. Social distancing and cloth masks are not evidence based or science based. We are involved in a large scale experiment with high costs to our society, our economy, our freedom and it’s not proven to even work.

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
The mask is worn mainly to prevent the wearer from spreading their spit, saliva droplets, and any nasal discharges to others. Masks only provide minimal protection for the wearer. The idea of the mask is to prevent rather than defend.

The proper wearing of these masks have proved very effective in reducing the spread of Covid 19. This can be seen in countries where the people adhered to shut-downs, distancing, wearing masks, etc. It can further be demonstrated in the US by the premature opening of businesses and citizens refusing to wear masks over the July 4th holiday resulting in a surge of Covid infection worse that the initial attack.

If you truly want to get back to work, have public gatherings, restart school, then bite the bullet and wear the masks. People who defy the only thing that works to contain Covid are the ones who are perpetuating this pandemic.

I expect that there will many who refuse to wear masks regardless or any reasoning. I believe we can expect to have 200,000 dead by the end of summer and more than a million dead by the end of the year. The dead toll could be reduced. All we need do is wear a mask.

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
also good enough for me.
So you admit, you just believe what you want to. And you want to believe masks work because you want to walk around telling all your neighbors what a good and virtuous person you are. Anything that worked that doesn't tell everyone how good you are is not of interest.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:51 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I thought maskholes were the ones pushing masks and shaming everyone who does not wear one.
That sounds more like it.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:53 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Y'all mask, glove, sunglass wearing nuts should test out your gear. Go home, put all the bs on in your kitchen and then start cutting and dicing up a couple of fresh onions at room temperature. The irritants those onions give off is about the size of wet particles you're all talking about the coronavirus particles to be. Now see if you don't start crying and smelling the fumes, as if you're not wearing anything at all. Then come back and talk to us. Try it!

Old 07-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So you admit, you just believe what you want to. And you want to believe masks work because you want to walk around telling all your neighbors what a good and virtuous person you are. Anything that worked that doesn't tell everyone how good you are is not of interest.
No, I believe what seems reasonable.

Good and virtuous? What a weird thing to say.

I wear a mask in the store because it's required by law here, and every single other person in the store is also wearing one. Has nothing to do with who is "good and virtuous". You got no choice. You have no idea who's wearing one because they believe it to be affective, and who's wearing one because that's the only way they'll be allowed to buy groceries.

I don't wear one while I'm outdoors walking or biking, because I don't believe them necessary and they aren't required.

I'm not sure what this weird attack is about, but I'd be interested in hearing what has "worked" to contain COVID. Tell us please so we can all know.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:58 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The mask is worn mainly to prevent the wearer from spreading their spit, saliva droplets, and any nasal discharges to others. Masks only provide minimal protection for the wearer. The idea of the mask is to prevent rather than defend.

The proper wearing of these masks have proved very effective in reducing the spread of Covid 19. This can be seen in countries where the people adhered to shut-downs, distancing, wearing masks, etc. It can further be demonstrated in the US by the premature opening of businesses and citizens refusing to wear masks over the July 4th holiday resulting in a surge of Covid infection worse that the initial attack.

If you truly want to get back to work, have public gatherings, restart school, then bite the bullet and wear the masks. People who defy the only thing that works to contain Covid are the ones who are perpetuating this pandemic.

I expect that there will many who refuse to wear masks regardless or any reasoning. I believe we can expect to have 200,000 dead by the end of summer and more than a million dead by the end of the year. The dead toll could be reduced. All we need do is wear a mask.
You all keep saying this. Where is the actual studies, data showing mask use reduced the spread of Covid. Is mask use being documented here in the US or "in other countries". Are there double blind studies, is there a control group is there concrete data showing correlation and causation? Show me the money.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You all keep saying this. Where is the actual studies, data showing mask use reduced the spread of Covid. Is mask use being documented here in the US or "in other countries". Are there double blind studies, is there a control group is there concrete data showing correlation and causation? Show me the money.
2mares, you're not going to get what you're asking for, because this is too new.

All there is is observational anecdotes, and likelihoods, and predictions of surges coming true.

You're not going to get numbers and probabilities yet. What we ARE seeing, is when there is an event where a bunch of people are together not wearing masks and not social distancing, they seem to get sick in large numbers.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Got a link to said article, by chance?
Not the best "source", but it does point out what I've been saying, and I linked directly to the WHO website many times, saying just this:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...uld-wear-masks

Quote:
June 8, 2020 -- The World Health Organization has changed its stance on wearing face masks during the COVID-19 pandemic.People over 60 and people with underlying medical conditions should wear a medical-grade mask when they’re in public and cannot socially distance, the WHO said. The general public should wear a three-layer fabric mask in those situations.
They changed their stance - of course they did. lol However, you'll notice a few things as we go along.

First, up above, it says "3 layer mask". Those stupid home made fabric masks are not "3 layer masks". The bandana, the scarf, the t-shirt, the visor, majority of home made masks are NOT "3 layer masks" - so, absolutely nothing is being protected. Not you, not me, not anyone, by a large majority of the people. I'm out daily - I see zombies walking around with their masks on - I'd say about 5% are "3 layer masks".

But let's continue:

Quote:
The WHO also updated their advice for medical workers, saying all of them should always wear a medical mask while in clinical areas, not just people working with COVID-19 patients.

The organization had previously said there wasn’t enough medical evidence to support members of the public wearing a mask, unless they were sick or around people with the coronavirus.
That's exactly what they've been saying the entire time. No evidence that they prevent anything.

Moving on:

Quote:
"...'In areas with widespread transmission, the WHO advises medical masks for all people working in clinical areas of a health facility, not only workers dealing with patients with COVID-19," Tedros said, according to CNN."
That makes sense.

Quote:
"'Second, in areas with community transmission, we advise that people aged 60 years or over, or those with underlying conditions, should wear a medical mask in situations where physical distancing is not possible,' Tedros said.
Where staying the hell away from other people, not being all up in their space, can't be done. You can do that almost anywhere - I do it all the time. I might want to go down an aisle of the store, but if someone else is down there, I choose another aisle that I need something from, and then go back. But people don't want to change how they do anything. They want to yell and throw fits when they hear about or see others not wearing a mask, but they don't want to do anything, themselves.

It is extremely easy to "social distance" outside. There is no reason to wear a mask in your fricken car, like I see people doing, there is no reason to wear a stupid mask when you take your dog for a walk, there is no reason to wear a stupid mask when you're outside, gardening, or whatever. But some states have made it a law that you "have" to wear one any time you step outside your door. Yet, it's not necessary.

Quote:
Third, he said, "WHO advises that governments should encourage the general public to wear masks where there is widespread transmission and physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments.
Keyword: "encourage", not "force".

And let's talk about those home made masks:

Quote:
The WHO guidance says people can make their own three-layer masks by using an inner layer of an absorbent material, such as cotton or cotton blends; a middle layer made of a non-woven material polypropylene or cotton to enhance filtration of droplets; and an outer layer of a non-absorbent material such polypropylene, polyester, or their blends. Stretchy, porous materials should be avoided.
I guarantee you that many of them are NOT up to this standard. So, a lot of people out there with their self righteous attitudes aren't actually do anything of benefit to anyone.

And finally, why I can't take holier than thou mask wearers seriously:

Quote:
Wearing masks isn’t enough to protect a person from the virus, the WHO said.

The use of a mask alone is insufficient to provide an adequate level of protection or source control, and other personal and community level measures should also be adopted to suppress transmission of respiratory viruses,” the WHO said.
Because people are not doing anything else but wear a stupid mask. The mask is not the end all be all protection, but people won't do anything else beyond it. Even on this forum we've had people say that they won't do all of that extra - then don't preach to anyone about the dumb mask, because you (general 'you') are not doing anything, either.

What does the WHO say are those other measures?

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, for the love of GOD would you people wash your hands?

You can reduce your chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19 by taking some simple precautions:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ice-for-public

Quote:
Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.

Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and others.

Avoid going to crowded places.

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.

Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately and wash your hands.
Stay home and self-isolate even with minor symptoms such as cough, headache, mild fever, until you recover. Have someone bring you supplies. If you need to leave your house, wear a mask to avoid infecting others.

If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention, but call by telephone in advance if possible and follow the directions of your local health authority.
I guarantee you that the majority are not doing any of those things, and a smaller minority are doing some of those things, but an even ridiculously smaller minority are doing any and all of those things. Until I see people doing all of those things all the time, I'm not wearing a mask. I don't get near people, I don't breathe on people, I don't cough or sneeze on people. No one needs to worry about me, but I sure as hell need to worry about them spreading their germs around all over the place because they love nothing more than to cross contaminate while they squawk about masks.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:04 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That is my objection to them. They don't work but no one really cares about that... they just want compliance so they can feel that their bullying did the trick... when people won't comply they get super mad, not because of danger to anyone or anything, but because they were not able to bully someone into doing what they wanted.
Yes, they are a group of people that want total control and dominance over others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies