Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM

407 posts, read 122,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yes, I think most agree the the planet is warming. Even so-called climate deniers. I thought that particular number was those scientists who were saying man was the main driver of the increase. Anyway, don’t want to derail this thread with that topic. Apparently sending kids back to school is controversial enough on its own, haha.
True! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:30 PM

15,048 posts, read 10,020,220 times
From the article linked:

"The five doctors we spoke to agreed: The benefits of being in the classroom far outweigh the risk of disease. But the key is to reopen safely,” said Torres.

He suggested several easy fixes such as social distancing, keeping desks apart, increasing classroom airflow, and putting gym classes outdoors. As for masks, one doctor said they only are useful for high school"

5 doctors are actually agreeing with what most experts have been saying.. its not about science vs anti-science or trust vs no trust.... Those that are not comfortable opening schools aren't anti-opening schools.. but rather they don't believe their schools have met the criteria of putting into place the means to achieving social distancing. Poor districts are certainly at a disadvantage here.

Then they proceed to ask a question that really doesn't mean much... it is a reflection of the affluent districts typical doctors have access too...

Most of this thread isn't comprehending the article and misrepresenting those that are not backing Trump's wishes to blindly open schools. They want to open schools based on their own criteria as backed by medical scientists and experts. Of which many schools are not capable of meeting said criteria.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 PM

56,975 posts, read 25,911,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I don't think you understand how it works. We're supposed to simply trust the doctors. If you question them, then you're a science denier.
Five random pediatricians are not speaking for the nation, do you know if the American Association of Pediatrics say the same. How about Johns Hopkins do they agree. Much more to that article by the way.

The infection rate of school age children in Florida is 30% and they are running over 10,000 cases a day do you think they are ready to open schools.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:53 PM

17,377 posts, read 6,722,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Five random pediatricians are not speaking for the nation, do you know if the American Association of Pediatrics say the same. How about Johns Hopkins do they agree. Much more to that article by the way.

The infection rate of school age children in Florida is 30% and they are running over 10,000 cases a day do you think they are ready to open schools.
Yes, because the science says children have zero risk. The DNC and teachers' unions are reaching new lows with this political nonsense. Of course you're happy to play along.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:02 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,216,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yes, because the science says children have zero risk. The DNC and teachers' unions are reaching new lows with this political nonsense. Of course you're happy to play along.
Can you link to that science? I just finished reading a study out of S Korea which concluded children over 10 spread equal to adults.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Can you link to that science? I just finished reading a study out of S Korea which concluded children over 10 spread equal to adults.
I don't believe you read any such study or you would have linked it.

You must be another teacher who doesn't want to work while getting paid.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:15 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,216,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don't believe you read any such study or you would have linked it.

You must be another teacher who doesn't want to work while getting paid.
Here you go
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

Let me know what you think.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:27 PM

4,129 posts, read 2,817,009 times
Quote:
Here you go

I’m sure Rowing will be right along with his link...

Old 07-18-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Here you go

The study says nothing about the risk or mortality rate of children. It’s statistically zero. The authors of your study concede it “has limitations” so what is your point? Are you claiming that if there is any risk of children transmitting the virus that they shouldn’t go to school? If so that’s quite twisted. Education is essential.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:40 PM

31,913 posts, read 14,898,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I find it funny that many of the Trump haters and we have to close business people are talking out the other side of their mouths now that their jobs are on the line.

The media has done a good job with the fear mongering. Most parents are not skilled enough to teach their children. Parents have to get back to work and can't afford babysitters - that defeats the purpose of going back to work. This virtual learning is not in the best interest of many students - especially handicapped or special needs children who need more one on one. I know of one mother who has adopted 5 special needs children she fostered. She's at the end of her rope - she can love and support them but she can't be the teacher they need.
I am a democrat who's never had a problem with a republican president. Of course we all have something we don't like about the other party in office but nothing has been so drastic as having Trump in office. I don't hate Trump. I hate what he is doing to our country. I have never seen our country at such unrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies