Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 10:47 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Bigot.
Explain how that is bigoted.

Quote:
Blacks are poor, we must do whatever we can to help them escape poverty.
My Black neighbors aren't poor. So Blacks aren't GOOD ENOUGH to escape poverty on their own???

Quote:
Legacy of slavery. We need to make orchestras look more like the community.
Blacks comprise 13% of U.S. society. Should we cap Black participation for things at 13%? Slavery ended 155 years ago.

Quote:
Only racists complain about this. Are you saying the people who complete medical school don't deserve to be doctors?
Racists like you want to base things only on skin color and race, not merit or skill. THAT'S RACIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 10:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Only racists complain about this. Are you saying the people who complete medical school don't deserve to be doctors?
Did I say that, no, that's what you are assuming, not me!

All I'm saying, if you had two applicants one that was black or Hispanic or Native American with lower GPA and MCAT scores and the other who was white or Asian with slightly better GPA and MCAT scores but not terrific and both applicants had the same extracurriculars on their application and the school had to choose between the two for a spot into the upcoming class, they are most likely not going to pick the white or Asian.

Like I said, I'm not saying it's right or that it's wrong, but it is what it is, you can decide on your own!

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-19-2020 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 10:58 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You mean like the Atlas air co-pilot who screwed up, and instead of blaming the fact they glossed over him because they were excited to have a minority pilot, the investigation blamed the lack of protocols in background checks? That right there was BS. Everyone knows exactly why that pilot was still flying, and it was because he was black.

I was just reading about that guy. Sounds like he shouldn't have been allowed to drive a bus let alone pilot a commercial jet.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:02 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Translation:

New York Times claims black people are not good enough to join orchestras based on muslical talent, and thus must be given special affirmative action privileges.
They want this for everything. Fair means they don’t win.

Perhaps instead of shooting each other at 3am or pulling each other’s hair extensions out at the local McDonald’s or in school, they should give academic achievement a chance instead of rejecting it as ‘white’.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:03 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Explain how that is bigoted.
Did you take what I said seriously? Do you not recognize my name? I recognize yours. And No_Recess already knows I'm the bigot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
All I'm saying, if you had two applicants with the same exact lower GPA and MCAT scores and all of their extracurriculars were identical, and one was black or Hispanic or Native American and the other was white or Asian, and the school had to choose between the two for a spot into the upcoming class, they are most likely not going to pick the white or Asian.
And?

Old 07-19-2020, 11:05 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
This is essentially a demand for unqualified minorities to be put to work under the name of the NY Philharmonic and other such high-reputation institutions.

It is a demand for the takeover of an institution. To wear its name like a skin-suit.

Why not just start their own symphony orchestra?

Pushing better musicians out does not give them the clout of those musicians.

The demand makes the "NY Philharmonic" the equivalent of a prep school bumpersticker that can be shown off to friends.

The symphony will become qualitatively worse, the NY Philahrmonic will lose its status, and the better musicians will move onto play in other orchestras that will gain status in kind.

Demanding a personnel routing of institutions, when those personnel define the institutions, is the worst type of racism because it is free of logic and reward.

At its core, the demand is one to effectively end institutions because they are not comprised of minorities.

In the cultural sphere, there is little more that is as immoral or harmful to society in 2020.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
It will be interesting to see if this kind of policy would have a noticeable impact on the diversity within the orchestra.

The blind auditions aren't saying -- hand out positions to minorities -- it is saying let the talent speak for itself........not preconceived notions from visual clues.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:11 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It will be interesting to see if this kind of policy would have a noticeable impact on the diversity within the orchestra.

The blind auditions aren't saying -- hand out positions to minorities -- it is saying let the talent speak for itself........not preconceived notions from visual clues.
They want to hand out positions to minorities by removing the blind auditions. The blind auditions are what led to more females making the cut.
What they want is an excuse to discriminate against whites in this latest round of 'civil rights' whining.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
How many black musician audition?
That’s racist!

One day liberals will understand that equal opportunity doesn’t equate to equal outcome.

Not even two siblings raised from the damn household are ensured the same outcome, let alone entire demographics.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:17 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
They want to hand out positions to minorities by removing the blind auditions. The blind auditions are what led to more females making the cut.
That’s correct. Similarly, liberals implemented blind college applications in California and Asian were “over represented” on college campuses.

Now they want to remove blind college applications because they, well, it’s just not diverse enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies