Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 12:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Tell that to the dead.
Of curse you realize many of the deaths listed as COVID were other things don't you?

SandandSalt: some parents did keep there kids pretty close to home during the polio days, but nothing like this and they did not suggest wear masks or social distancing.
this also holds true with the horrible Asian flu in the mid 1950s We went on with life. Yes, a lot of people died, over a million but we didn't try to shut down the world. We continued with life and after about a year it quieted down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Absolutely. My mother spoke about when she was a child, summers brought terror for parents, and yes, many were kept at home during an outbreak.
Clara, not many, but yes some. Summers were scary but for the most part we still played with our friends, went to the public pool, played on the playground and did what kids loved to do and still loved to do. It was very few who's parents came anywhere near isolating them. I know, Every summer we went through the same thing. I grew up in the 40s and 50s I graduated from high school in 1955 and left for college a few months later, just before the Asian flu was the big thing.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what's next to come: gray hair is a sign of a new virus? This whole think is getting blown out of the water. What would life had been like it Salk had not worked on a vaccine for Polio? Do you believe everything you read? God I hope not.
I'm not an immunologist, I don't quite understand how vaccines work, but based on what I do know, some things are far harder to make vaccines for than others, and some things are impossible altogether.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:22 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Given polio's contagious nature, was social distancing ever suggested for it? The numbers look similar: 98% with mild or no symptoms and 2% serious.

I wonder if parents kept their kids home...
You do know that just as with coronavirus, and also flu, a large percent of people could be asymptomatic to polio as well. Maybe I and my friends were?Did not get my sugar cube polio vaccine in school until around 8. Growing up in NYC in the 50's, our parents let us play in the streets. Go Google pictures. Turned on fire hydrants and ran barefoot in the streets; garbage, dog and police horse excrement, human vomit, etc., etc. If it was just my parents alone not afraid, I would not have had anyone to play with.

It is a different mindset today. Preventive Medicine has changed the Public's minds on disease now. WE can prevent you from ever getting sick. $$$$$.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:34 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of curse you realize many of the deaths listed as COVID were other things don't you?

SandandSalt: some parents did keep there kids pretty close to home during the polio days, but nothing like this and they did not suggest wear masks or social distancing.
this also holds true with the horrible Asian flu in the mid 1950s We went on with life. Yes, a lot of people died, over a million but we didn't try to shut down the world. We continued with life and after about a year it quieted down
Life would continue a lot better if we did simple things like wear a mask and socially distance. As it stands, things will continue to open and re-close until we get it.

I've heard that some deaths were listed as Covid that were not. Do you have links to those? I'd like to read about them.

Polio is mainly spread through the feces of an infected person, so I don't think masks would help. Although less frequently it was spread through droplets.

A million may have died from the Asian flu in the 50s, but over half a million have died from Covid only 4 months in. Who knows what that number will be at the year marker? 116,000 died in the U.S. from the Asian flu in 1957-58. 141,000K have already died in the U.S. from Covid. Just four months in. Let that sink in.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Basically just build up antibodies that can fight the bug or make it's effects less drastic

However, you might eventually need to receive another immunization down the road if a titers test shows you are low on antibodies

No one knows yet if the virus will mutate and if not everyone gets the vaccine will that cause a new stronger strain to emerge

Old 07-20-2020, 02:11 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_wSU1JnTE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies