Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 02:12 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

How could it be divided? There's no way it can without a property rights fight. Would one government still govern the nation?

The more you think about it and when considering how interdependent we all are, I think it couldn't be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:15 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I think Putin won, at very little cost.
What did putin win exactly?

We're sitting around doing the circle jerk with Russia meanwhile China's at war with us. We just haven't woke up yet and realized it

Old 07-18-2020, 02:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
What if it came down to that or war? Would it be worth trying to avoid the sheer horror and devastation that a civil war would bring?

Depends. Thats the same question we must have asked thousands of times during the civil war.

And the answer is...given the world situation the question you should ask yourself is-do you want to learn chinese or Russian? Because breaking us apart would eventually result in one of the two remaining superpowers to expand. And the end of our grand experiment as people call it.

I speak a little mandarin, and would probably brush up on it. But before that? Id be willing to see the devastation that civil war would bring. Because I can see the longer view of this. And its worse.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:23 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How could it be divided? There's no way it can without a property rights fight. Would one government still govern the nation?

The more you think about it and when considering how interdependent we all are, I think it couldn't be done.
It cannot be done without war. Every business is against it, and there is just as much division within states as across states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What did putin win exactly?

We're sitting around doing the circle jerk with Russia meanwhile China's at war with us. We just haven't woke up yet and realized it
A large percentage of the world would be happy if America collapsed, just like we would be happy if they collapsed.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It cannot be done without war. Every business is against it, and there is just as much division within states as across states.

A large percentage of the world would be happy if America collapsed, just like we would be happy if they collapsed.
I think the smarter ones are probably more worried about the sheer number of nuclear weapons and military equipment we own.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I believe the nation has reached a divided point of no return politically, socially, spiritually... everything. I've seen this coming ever since the resurgence of wartime patriotism post 9/11 failed to sustain itself and was almost immediately replaced with the constant widening of the political gap.

I am not advocating or promoting civil war in any way, shape or form (although I fear that is where we are headed regardless if things stay as they are).....but my question is were it possible to divide the country into separate nations WITHOUT resorting to violence, would you be for it or no?

Separate nations that would basically start over with everything. I would be for building a wall between them and severely restricting travel between the two so as to avoid one side infiltrating the other and taking things back to square one.

I know this a potentially volatile and obviously vague scenario chock full of what if's, but I thought I might serve up some tasty food for thought this afternoon in the midst of 2020's seemingly incessant chaos.
No. Go live in a cave if you have a problem with the US aligning with the progress that the rest of the world sees. You guys are a dying breed and you either need to accept the world is moving on without you or you need to crawl in a hole to live out the rest of your lives.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:36 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
There's not going to be a civil war. I mean, how would that actually play out? Divide up the Armed Forces, then just go at it? There would be nothing left. Or, one side would have all access to the Armed Forces and the other would just have whatever weapons they could find? We know how that would end.

People need to drop this whole civil war scenario, its ludicrous. A United States civil war would begin World War 3

Also, to answer the op: No

Old 07-18-2020, 02:38 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And the end of our grand experiment as people call it.
Was always a lie. America just got lucky that it was the only major power in the Western Hemisphere and we were able to steal from the Natives a massive continent full of resources. With two oceans surrounding us and weak neighbors meant we were never threatened, except by ourselves. Which is why the Union treated the Confederacy worse than America has ever treated any enemy in our history other than when we nuked Japan. The North literally burned entire cities to the ground, and destroyed their crops. Total War. Then immediately afterwards wiped out the buffalo, starving the natives and forcing them onto reservations.

America was always a lie. We became powerful by exploiting the rivalries between European powers, who saw each other as a greater threat than us, allowing us to dismantle their empires, often buying the land for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-18-2020 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 02:39 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
I have a better idea. If all you collectivists, on the left and on the right would simply all move to an island onto its own so that us normal people can enjoy this beautiful country. So I wouldn't have to listen to simple minded arguments such as the premise of this thread.

Deal?

Old 07-18-2020, 02:45 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, I wouldn't because about half the people I love would live separate from the other half.

What I WOULD like, though, is land designated to people who want everyone to be separate, where they can go themselves to separate so the rest of us can live in peace.

So you crazy people on the right, go to South Dakota. You crazy people on the left, go to Alabama.

There. Everyone else, good day.
I think I'd do similar but with a twist: take all of the really crazy people on both sides, take away any potential weapons including improvised ones, and put them all together in a tightly-packed area half the size of Rhode Island (can we just rent out half of Rhode Island for a little while?).

The rest of us can enjoy with popcorn.

In all seriousness, my answer is a resounding NO to the OP's question. This is America, I'm still holding out hope that these are growing pains, the maniacs will calm down, the Americans who hate this country will get a wake-up call, and we'll be able to remain a great nation for at least another 250 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies