Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 10:12 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Franklin Chang Diaz came to this country from Costa Rica with a shirt on his back and barely spoke English. He finished high school, went to college, became a NASA astronaut, and started his company. His success story and that of many others prove that the US provides plenty of opportunities for people to succeed, if they put in the effort.

Please don't tell me people who are born here and speak English fluently are at a disadvantage next to immigrants like Franklin Chang Diaz. I am sick and tired of lazy, irresponsible people blaming others for their conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Chang_D%C3%ADaz
Good for him. Maybe your little rant will get those lazy, irresponsible people blaming others off their butts and out their working again. And while you are at it you might toss a little "white guilt" at the people who actually have concern about their situation. Maybe finish up with the "democrat plantation" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 AM

11,250 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Franklin Chang Diaz came to this country from Costa Rica with a shirt on his back and barely spoke English. He finished high school, went to college, became a NASA astronaut, and started his company. His success story and that of many others prove that the US provides plenty of opportunities for people to succeed, if they put in the effort.

Please don't tell me people who are born here and speak English fluently are at a disadvantage next to immigrants like Franklin Chang Diaz. I am sick and tired of lazy, irresponsible people blaming others for their conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Chang_D%C3%ADaz

The left doesn't like people who come from nothing and are able to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps via hard work and perseverance. Many immigrants that come here scrape by, save money, work 80 hour weeks, learn the language, and become citizens. They could surely teach inner city generational welfare recipients a thing or two about persistence and success.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:26 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
New York City & Chicago are run by Liberal Democrats, and have been for years. Their policies & poor leadership result in death, & destruction.

When Rudy & Bernie ran NYC, it was orderly. Contrast that to DeBlasio, & you can see how liberal policies and leadership led it right back into death & destruction mode.

Libs have thrown Billions at the problems of the inner cities, but its not a money problem, or they'd have been fixed by now.

The problems are about bad policy & bad leadership.

Blaming the money spent on the space program for NYC & Chicago's plight, implies if we only spent more money there, the problems would have been fixed. Why haven't the Billions upon Billons already spent there fixed it?

It has nothing to do with the amount of billions spent, its how it was spent that is the problem. Bad ideas, & bad policies, carried out by bad leaders.

If Dems could stop doing the wrong things over and over again, they might get better results.

If voters there keep voting for Dems to keep doing the wrong things over and over again, nothing will ever change.

There is a Silver bullet....stop voting for liberal democrats...what do you have to lose?

Old 07-19-2020, 10:33 AM

2,002 posts, read 761,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Not just being poor, but kicked to the curb.

People alive today were alive in Jim crow.

What did those eras bring? Policies that kept black folks from owning homes, war on drugs that incarcerated men and women. Success is hard in the community because many folks don't have a lot to build on considering if you look at white folks and black folks side by side, only within the past few decades have they just begun to build. But every bad neighborhood is a scar of a bad past that is still healing, some still fester(like Chicago). The root cause is lack of education and lack of opportunity.

Only way you can fix those areas is better access to those, and better relations with the police because police honestly haven't had the best reputation with poverty-stricken areas, especially when things like the war on drugs came it.

Every phase was like a different version of the previous:

Slavery

Bring laws targets blacks folks by making it a crime not to work knowing full well that businesses did not wanna hire black folks. Thus sending them to prisons so they can work(Slavery).

Jim Crow

War on Drugs(which is still going on rn)

So it's not just being poor. It's being kicked down for generations.
Stop with the blame game.

It’s a culture problem in these communities. The resources are available, you can’t force people to use them.

And just stop with the war on drugs narrative, there’s any easy solution, don’t do illegal drugs.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 AM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Just about everyone posting in this thread seems to have missed the point of the thread.

Many of you stated poverty does not cause crime, that it is the other way around.
Let's just take one of these cities as an example of what I said in the original post.
The blacks in Chicago, for many, many years have been suppressed by lack of opportunity, and education.
It is a well known fact, that the schools in the black districts of Chicago, are the worst in the nation, when it comes to performance.
Now, why is that?

Where is the opportunity for these people living in these communities to succeed?
It has to come from somewhere, and the fact is, it isn't.
People in these areas have no way to see opportunity, let alone act on it, because it is non existent.
This is where the change needs to take place.
Why aren't schools in the southwest part of Chicago being run like the schools in most areas of the country?
Surely it is not a issue of funding?
How is it in other areas of the country people graduate, and go on to have successful lives?
Why is that not happening in the poorer sections of Chicago?

Now you people tell me just who is to blame for these inconsistencies.
Again, it all boils down to equality when it comes to education,and that is not what is happening.
Government needs to get off it a$$ and provide solutions, and those solutions need to be addressed quickly.
When over 18 people in the span of one day, lose their lives due to violence, there is something wrong with that picture, and sweeping it under the rug is not going to solve the problem.
We can spend billions on a station in space, but we can't do anything to protect the citizens, young and old from the incessant killing going on in our nation's largest cities.
Again, something wrong with that picture.

What have we gained for all the billions spent for that space station?
Where is the return on such an investment?
The same spent on education, and opportunity in the poorer communities in this nation could have been the building blocks to well educated, successful people which would add to the greatness of this country.

And just as a side note, I don't hear either candidate for president in 2020 saying one word about improving education in the poorer areas of these two cities in particular.
Why is that?

Old 07-19-2020, 11:22 AM

25,731 posts, read 12,808,029 times
I'm betting you do not want to hear the solutions to bad Dem policies, and bad Dem leadership, but I'll give you a chance.

policy change #1...outlaw teachers unions.

Why? Because they do not put educating students as their #1 priority. Howso? Read the first paragraph in the link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Teachers_Union

They resist tying teacher pay to teacher performace. That is a terrible policy being carried out by bad leaders.

They protect bad teachers from being fired. That is another bad policy carried out by bad leaders.

policy change #2...Allow students to attend any school they please. School choice. If kids flee a bad school, shut it down, and fire all the bad teachers, & re-assign the good ones.

Have student sponsors to fund group uber rides in passenger vans to better schools w/in a reasonable radius of travel.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:24 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
The US provides ample opportunities for people of all colors to succeed, if they put in the effort. These black men have. They took advantage of the opportunity and put in the effort.

Quote:
Using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (1979) that tracks black men from their teenage years to midlife, we find that a majority of upper-income black men in their fifties today are from humble roots. For example, 59% were lower-income when they were teenagers or young adults. And about half of them grew up outside of an intact, two-parent family. Yet, these men made it into the upper class despite the challenges they faced through thirty-plus years of life. What paths did they take to the top?

We identified three major factors that are linked to the financial success of black men in midlife today: education, work, and marriage. Black men who have a college degree, a full-time job, or a spouse are much more likely than their peers to end up in the upper-income bracket as fifty-something men.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/2-5-milli...he-upper-class

Old 07-19-2020, 11:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
IMO, combining two thoughts from this thread, with a third, produce truth:

"Ignorance and poverty (in the U.S.)" result when "lazy, irresponsible people blame others for their condition" ..."rather than taking responsibility for their own lives and acting to to change their condition!"

This is not born out of theory, but, rather, first-hand interaction with people in missions, halfway houses, prisons and the streets ... over 30+-years.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:35 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I refuse to believe that being poor causes one to commit assault, robbery or rape. Maybe crime causes poverty?

An interesting post OP.

We all have a decision to make everyday we get out of bed.

Am I going to be a good person towards my self and others? Am I going to go to work today so I can earn money and provide for myself and family? When I get behind the wheel of my car am I going to follow the rules of the road or put others at risk by speeding and driving reckless?

We all make decisions everyday that directly affect ourselves and those around us.

I don't know about you but I have never woken up and asked my self how high or drunk I could get or made plans to go out and rob a store or beat up someone to steal their stuff.

The answer to the issues that we face today is beyond the have an have nots because there will always be those with money and those that are poor but what we can all do everyday is apply ourselves to respect each other.

Self respect and respect for others is sorely lacking these days in our all or nothing, I'm gonna take what is yours society.

We all have a decision to make everyday and I decided not to be a criminal.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:44 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, combining two thoughts from this thread, with a third, produce truth:

"Ignorance and poverty (in the U.S.)" result when "lazy, irresponsible people blame others for their condition" ..."rather than taking responsibility for their own lives and acting to to change their condition!"

This is not born out of theory, but, rather, first-hand interaction with people in missions, halfway houses, prisons and the streets ... over 30+-years.

Good points. I have known millionaires and poor people and their attitudes are night and day. Successful people keep striving even in the face of setbacks whereas poor people are self defeated before they even get out of bed.

Well off people make plans for the future and they will save to make them come true.

Poor people live day to day and let life happen to them.

It really is amazing how poor people spend the money they do have. They buy coffees, cigarettes, booze and scratch tickets on a daily basis. They often live beyond their means and they don't take care of the things they do have. They rent V own a home for example. They have the safety net of the Government to help them where the self motivated individual is too prideful so he works harder.

It is not easy to get oneself out of the rut of poverty but a positive attitude can be the first step. Being lazy gets you no where fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies