Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You'd better check your numbers, Arya.

In the United States, it’s 4.2 percent, according to the statistics website Worldometer. That’s the total number of people who have died of the virus divided by the total number of people who tested positive for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...0fa7b44f711fd/

And you're not even taking into account the "long haulers" survivors who will carry debilitating aftereffects for years, possibly for the rest of their lives.
I'm really into numbers, and realize the danger of this virus, but that number as you say only reflects those who tested positive.

It's anyone's guess, but the number I see bandied about most by health officials is there are perhaps 10X as many people who actually contracted the virus but they recovered without ever being tested. So that would bump the fatality rate to .4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Trump can cure Cancer in the US.

Don’t screen/ test.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
So wrong in our community we have thousands of negative results. The positive ones never get better. Because no one follows up and this is when we already have contact tracing. People who have died they say corona, even when they haven’t even tested the person.

There is something wrong without this testing. I have no faith in it. And give me a break you think brain dead Biden could do better...then you are really in need of help.

You seem to be missing the entire point of this thread, cp. What I said was that THREE named instances indicate

Trump is doing his level best to make sure he infects as many Americans as he possibly can.

How else would you explain him blocking money to fight Coronavirus, blocking statistics which shows the true number of infections because it hurt his fantasy the virus is going away, and pushing kids to get into schools and get infected.

The whole thing reeks of some kind of conspiracy Trump concocted, who knows--maybe even with Putin--to kill as many Americans as possible, maybe for polling against him, who knows. When you're dealing with a sociopath, as many psychiatrists have diagnosed Trump as, you don't know what going on in their deranged mind. Wake up!

Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm really into numbers, and realize the danger of this virus, but that number as you say only reflects those who tested positive.

It's anyone's guess, but the number I see bandied about most by health officials is there are perhaps 10X as many people who actually contracted the virus but they recovered without ever being tested. So that would bump the fatality rate to .4%.

No reference to you, Clara but as the old saying goes, "Figures lie and liars figure". So there's no real way to know the fatality rate. But my original premise stands: Trump seems to be trying to get as many of us infected as he possibly can judging by his actions.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:33 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
No I see what he is doing. The current system is not being controlled and unscrupulous people are puffing up the numbers. This is why we have so many "cases" but no one knows anyone who actually has it, (except for liberals)

I hope Trump shuts the whole thing down.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the true mortality rate is less than 1% and the USA is being held hostage by these false numbers.
Someone who I know from my hometown had it and nearly died. No pre-existing co-morbidities, aged thirty-eight, hadn't traveled outside of our somewhat rural (and very Trumpian-heavy) county. Another high school friend is a nurse in Myrtle Beach, S.C. and deals with what's going on daily at her workplace. Let's just say that where I'm from isn't exactly rife with liberals, let alone liberals spreading disinformation in order the smear DJT. Pretty much MAGA Central there complete with those fancy Stars and Bars/Old Glory hybrid flags proudly waving in front of more than few homes.

A college friend tested positive for antibodies prior to a surgical procedure back in June (he'd been ill with severe COVID-like symptoms in late January through late February). I myself was incredibly ill in March with pretty much every COVID symptom save the loss of taste and smell. Took me a month to get over it and still have yet to regain my previous energy levels. It was the sickest that I've been in my life. A local friend (who is a Libertarian, but I digress) was sick as a dog back in February, too, complete with respiratory distress. She also told me that it was the most ill that she'd ever been. Aside from the college friend who has a few co-morbidities, none of us fit the earliest profiles of the typical COVID patient.

The only reason that I did not go and get tested is because in my state residents who displayed symptoms were told to only go to see a physician if we were having extreme breathing difficulties because testing kits were in very short supply. That and I barely could muster the energy to make it to the toilet, let alone to my car and drive myself to the hospital.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 07-20-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-20-2020, 09:50 AM

59 posts, read 37,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
So wrong in our community we have thousands of negative results. The positive ones never get better. Because no one follows up and this is when we already have contact tracing. People who have died they say corona, even when they haven’t even tested the person.

There is something wrong without this testing. I have no faith in it. And give me a break you think brain dead Biden could do better...then you are really in need of help.

That's correct. I, and the overwhelming majority of the country, know that brain dead Biden will do better.

Fuhrer Trump has said out of his own mouth that he doesn't want more Corona testing because the more we test the more positive people are detected. The numbers go up which proves he lying about the virus disappearing and being just a cold.

The issue isn't how many test negative. The issue is how many carriers are spreading this virus without knowing it because they can't get tested.

We do not have widespread contact tracing and the tracing we do have is weak at best. Right wingers who have been infected are lying to and hiding from the contract tracers! Why? They don't want to be forced to take a vaccination (which doesn't even exist) that has a "chip" in it.

This all reminds me of another, recent tragedy in our history that was made much worse by right wing conspiracies that defied fact, science, truth and logic.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings were turned into a leftist conspiracy by right wingers. Democrats made the entire shooting up, according to them. Why? Supposedly to take away guns! A right wing sociopath (this time it was Alex Jones) convinced a significant number of right wing sheeple to believe that it was all a hoax AND to attack the families of the children murdered! Now Commie Donnie has convinced these same people that a world wide pandemic is all just the flu blown out of proportion to hurt HIS reelection chances.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Someone who I know from my hometown had it and nearly died. No pre-existing co-morbidities, aged thirty-eight, hadn't traveled outside of our somewhat rural (and very Trumpian-heavy) county. Another high school friend is a nurse in Myrtle Beach, S.C. and deals with what's going on daily at her workplace. Let's just say that where I'm from isn't exactly rife with liberals, let alone liberals spreading disinformation in order the smear DJT. Pretty much MAGA Central there complete with those fancy Stars and Bars/Old Glory hybrid flags proudly waving in front of more than few homes.

A college friend tested positive for antibodies prior to a surgical procedure back in June (he'd been ill with severe COVID-like symptoms in late January through late February). I myself was incredibly ill in March with pretty much every COVID symptom save the loss of taste and smell. Took me a month to get over it and still have yet to regain my previous energy levels. It was the sickest that I've been in my life. A local friend (who is a Libertarian, but I digress) was sick as a dog back in February, too, complete with respiratory distress. She also told me that it was the most ill that she'd ever been. Aside from the college friend who has a few co-morbidities, none of us fit the earliest profiles of the typical COVID patient.

The only reason that I did not go and get tested is because in my state residents who displayed symptoms were told to only go to see a physician if we were having extreme breathing difficulties because testing kits were in very short supply. That and I barely could muster the energy to make it to the toilet, let alone to my car and drive myself to the hospital.

Sounds like you're one of these "long haulers" individuals who carry debilitating aftereffects long after the disease itself has subsided. You might be interested in this support group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/COVID19survivorcorps/

Old 07-20-2020, 12:46 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sounds like you're one of these "long haulers" individuals who carry debilitating aftereffects long after the disease itself has subsided. You might be interested in this support group:

Otherwise known as a drama queen.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Otherwise known as a drama queen.

Ouch, Arya. You're cold.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 PM

15,822 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Please add a bill rider to cut all COVID-19 testing at the White House. It's a waste of taxpayer money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies