Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:51 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
What happened to agree to disagree?

Because players are doing something that you have a different opinion on and you don’t have to watch why would you totally stop watching a sport because of it?

Seems like extremists on both sides can’t stand anyone who has a different opinion then them

Grow up.
Quote:
You don’t have to watch the kneeling nobody is forcing you to

Put the game on first pitch and problem solved
Quote:
Then turn it on for the first pitch problem solved. You won’t see any kneeling

Also the leave politics out of it people a lot of them would have no problem with a political statement if they agreed with it.
So it is okay for professional athletes to shove their opinions onto the viewing masses but it is not okay for any members of the viewing masses to hold opposing opinions and discuss those opinions among themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
You left out the NHL. They will be speaking on the issue as well.
They already talk of it with the First Nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCtFFutjLA

And back in time, some view the Rocket Richard riot as a racism incident, white anglos vs white francophones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LadXzh4jgHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KlHjNbBRrs

Quote:
In 1955, as the tight and hotly contested hockey season was coming to an end, the star of the Montreal Canadiens, Maurice Richard (aka The Rocket), was suspended by then president of the league Clarence Campbell, setting off a huge riot in the streets of Montreal and adding to the sparks of the political revolution in Quebec that led to the rise of the separatist movement.
Edit: An earlier post mentionned then athletes are ahead of the curve but what if they was a bit too far ahead of the curve?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:58 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Then turn it on for the first pitch problem solved. You won’t see any kneeling

Also the leave politics out of it people a lot of them would have no problem with a political statement if they agreed with it.

Close your eyes when you walk past a Confederate Monument and you won't see it.

Problem solved.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:02 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Because people watch sports to escape and as a distraction.

Not to have political opinions/propaganda shoved down their throats...
People also follow sports partly for the camaraderie with fellow fans. As Pilot1 has been getting at, the addition of racially divisive and provocative speech helps to destroy that camaraderie.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:05 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's been said and acknowledged previously. However, you find it OK to have a centuries long tradition taken away from many people that once liked it, just like that?
It sucks. I get it.

but... (and you knew I would say but...)

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away an evil troll took my football team and moved it to Baltimore. It was one of those moments that causes a lot of reflection. I decided that the NFL was not worth the stress. Even when they made the new fake Browns, I stayed away and even started following the Indians. Pro sports have proven me correct with their constant demand for free stadiums and exploitation of monopoly power without monopoly rules. Spoiled billionaire economic parasite owners and their spoiled sociopath millionaire employees can kiss my backside. The infection has been spreading to other sports for decades now. The woke SJW lunacy only further proves my point.

Bleh I talk too long. Life happens. It sucks but the latest woke SJW garbage is hardly the first instance. Find another hobby. I did.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Problem solved.
Right on! But leftists think logic and common sense and fairness are racist.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:15 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It sucks. I get it.

but... (and you knew I would say but...)

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away an evil troll took my football team and moved it to Baltimore. It was one of those moments that causes a lot of reflection. I decided that the NFL was not worth the stress. Even when they made the new fake Browns, I stayed away and even started following the Indians. Pro sports have proven me correct with their constant demand for free stadiums and exploitation of monopoly power without monopoly rules. Spoiled billionaire economic parasite owners and their spoiled sociopath millionaire employees can kiss my backside. The infection has been spreading to other sports for decades now. The woke SJW lunacy only further proves my point.

Bleh I talk too long. Life happens. It sucks but the latest woke SJW garbage is hardly the first instance. Find another hobby. I did.
They could have avoided a whole lot of hurt feelings by leaving the Browns in Cleveland and giving Baltimore an expansion team. But that would have required having some consideration for the feelings of the fans, so there goes that idea out the window.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Maybe the MLB and players union should instead be discussing where Toronto is going to be playing their home games this season since they can't play in Toronto. Would be a more productive use of their time and not cause more division in the country.
Thats a team executive problem which should have input from members of that particular team. Also can not blame Canadian government wanting to protect their own.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So it is okay for professional athletes to shove their opinions onto the viewing masses but it is not okay for any members of the viewing masses to hold opposing opinions and discuss those opinions among themselves?
Who says it isn’t alright?

I just think it’s stupid to not watch a sport because of kneeling when you don’t have to watch it you can turn the game on when it starts

Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Problem solved.
You’re comparing a flag that stood for slavery to
Somebody kneeling because of what they think are mistreatment of black
People?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies