Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I could be wrong, but haven’t Federal troops usually come at the behest of the local governments? An exception would be natural disaster, riots (1960-70s style), civil rights era “federalizing” of national Guard. These episodes don’t seem to be anything like those.
You are correct.

OR when rioters are destroying federal property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
You are correct.

OR when rioters are destroying federal property.
Yes they can defend/secure federal sites, but that's about it. If they go beyond that, well there's certain to be a lawsuit and injunction.

I'd like to know where was the far right support for armed federal presence and control over the whack jobs that took over a federal waterfowl facility- armed no less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupa...2011%2C%202016.

Quote:
On January 2, 2016, an armed group of far-right extremists[25] seized and occupied the headquarters of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Harney County, Oregon,[26] and continued to occupy it until law enforcement made a final arrest on February 11, 2016.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:18 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yes they can defend/secure federal sites, but that's about it. If they go beyond that, well there's certain to be a lawsuit and injunction.

I'd like to know where was the far right support for armed federal presence and control over the whack jobs that took over a federal waterfowl facility- armed no less.

Nailed it!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Found this in the Wikipedia article you cited:

Oregon government officeholders, such as Governor Kate Brown and Congressmen Peter DeFazio, Earl Blumenauer, and other top officials in Oregon who had hoped for a more rapid and rigorous federal response, urged criminal proceedings for the militants and expressed praise that the occupation ended without further bloodshed.

All three are now condemning the presence of federal police in Portland.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:28 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Similar to Portlandia, Federal Law Enforcement officers will soon be seen on Pine Street. Their goal is to arrest the leaders of these latest lawless and dangerous gatherings.
Forget arresting anyone.

I want to see multiple rubber bullet cannons pelting these rioters so hard their skulls crack open and gray matter oozes out.

Make an example out of them.

Btw... the fed cops should have uniforms saying
"Seattle Police" on them.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:46 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Forget arresting anyone.

I want to see multiple rubber bullet cannons pelting these rioters so hard their skulls crack open and gray matter oozes out.

Make an example out of them.

Btw... the fed cops should have uniforms saying
"Seattle Police" on them.
Here's another idea....

Since police are told to stand down, maybe they can join in on the festivities and dress up like a rioter and start shooting rioters. After all since they are rioters the dems will protect them from the consequences of... rioting.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:33 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou88 View Post
I'd support the national guard going in if there wasn't a pandemic going on.

But now all this does is draw attention away from what matters........ the virus.....

its like Trump's rationale is "let me start a conflict with the liberals in the PNW" bc it 1. throws read meat to my base who hate the liberals in the PNW 2. Draws attention away from the virus

I feel like all Trumps doing is drawing attention away from his failed virus response.....

He doesn't care about the "Statues" he cares about all the media attention this will get , while emboldening his base....

If there weren't all these "social justice" debates,,,,, then all the media attention would be on the virus and Trump's response...

so he as an incentive to throw fuel on the fire of "social justice" debates

All Trump is doing is driving the media away from his failed virus response....

those PNW cities already hate Trump so he has nothing to lose there....

but he gains, Republicans in the midwest who enjoy watching "hipster liberals/extremists/whatever you want to call them" get arrested by the national gaurd, and he gains the media focusing on this issue not the virus situation

I'm convinced Trump will do whatever he thinks increases his chances to get re-elected and not do what's best for the greater good of America...

So Trump started the riots?

By your logic, the best thing the Left could do is stop the protests, condemn the rioters and get life back to normal as much as possible to put the spotlight back on the virus.

Then there would be no riots, no statues coming down, no deaths and destruction for Trump to respond to.....

Y'all will still have to clean up your own mess though......

We'll wait.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:50 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I agree to some extent. The difficulty is people are being hurt by the rioters actions either directly or indirectly, and if we let it go, people continue to be negatively effected. Neither city nor state leadership are willing to address it. They are pathetic. Leaves Trump in a tough situation.

Just like they don't want to acknowledge the negative consequences of the shut downs, the Left sees no downside to the protests and riots.

Any deaths that happen, any people who are hurt, business lost and destroyed are just necessary collateral damage to them .

And all of a sudden they're really concerned about the Constitution and consider protests and rioting in the mist of a pandemic, (over a completely BS narrative) to be if paramount importance to their 1st amendment rights.

But they conveniently forget that that right is not without limitations.

Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:56 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times
I work for CBP so maybe i can answer questions for the uninformed crowd

Who are these federal agents?
-Most of them are members of the elite tactical units BORTAC and SRT under CBP BP and CBP OFO under DHS. The rest are Federal Protective Service (FPS) Police, and US Marshalls Service (USMS)

What is their authority?
- https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/40/1315

Unless Portland decided to separate from the US and become another country, federal law enforcement agents and officers are legally allow to enforce federal law in Portland

Old 07-21-2020, 04:42 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Kill all of them. Time to clean the streets pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies