Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I agree, but with whites making up the majority of the country and the vast majority of law and policy makers, I don't think a political movement can get meaningful traction without some white support. Unfortunately, some of these dummies are going to come along for that ride.
I agree- as long as it's legit support. From what I've seen, it's more like what Oldhag1 said. I see a lot of slacktivists out there; a bunch of affluent white women who, before the Floyd murder, paid lip service to social/racial justice. Then they come out of the woodwork trying to-as Oldhag said- make it all about them- making virtue signalling posts on social media in an attempt to collect woke points and clout.

They maybe mean well, but there's more to activism than moral grandstanding on social media, and calling everyone else racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I support BLM to the degree I do over police brutality and systemic racism, period. My politics and BLMs do not align at all. I am white.

I'll tell you a cute phrase I saw and it's true. Every mother was summoned when George Floyd called for his. There is a good reason why so many white WOMEN are out there. He became everyone's son. Light bulbs suddenly went off that what black people have been saying about how they are policed differently. There was a flood on social media regarding other instances.

Yet how many of these women had Secoriea Turner as their daughters?? Were they too busy virtue signalling to have any light bulbs go on about the dangers of justifying excessive violence, and encouraging it as "justice"?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Every single BLM supporter in my area that I've seen has been WHITE: both touting their support on social media and participating in the real life marches. I live in a very diverse area that's about 40 percent nonwhite (most of whom are East and South Asians, some Middle Easterners, some Hispanics, and a few African Americans) yet at the BLM march on the streets, it was nothing but white faces. Before this year, almost all BLM marches were largely Black in Black areas. Do you think that this sudden support for BLM from Whites is partly due to the boredom of being locked in from the pandemic or out of real concern for police brutality against African Americans?
Some times, us white folk can be irritating.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:43 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Better than who? The weak minded woke types? The types that simply need a cause to follow? The types that have an overly developed sense of societal guilt? LOL Every vet that has served in the last 80 years knows better.

That said.I agree with many on the left in regard to how the police treat blacks compared to whites. As I said, ask any Vet who has served in the last 80 years. We all had black friends, well those of us who weren't complete racist A-holes. WE either heard about it or saw it with our own eyes. I have black friends who swear that they have never been called sir by a cop. I have never not been called sir.

Just comply right? Easy to say when you aren't the one being singled out constantly. When you aren't the one being disrespected by public servants. Its an accumulative trauma.

Not all or even most cops are bad guys. Most are outstanding people or at least average. The issue is the handful of bad cops and the rest covering for them. If I had my way bad cops, when sent to prison would be placed in general population and no special protections.
That handful sure get around. This is the whitewashing everyone wants to do. 'A few bad apples'. How have your black friends never met even an average cop who could manage to call them sir? You said most are outstanding, so why can't they manage that?

Our cops do in my city. Sir and Mr so and so. My PD has undergone a lot of training in that regard.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:46 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Every single White BLM supporter that Know lives in white neighborhoods and claim that they once had a black friend or they know someone who is black.

When I tell them I raised a black kid they say "Oh that's different, you raised him to be white." LOL. I say no, I raised him to be successful in life and he is.

I once had a manager (white) tell me that I just didn't understand how black people are different. I said no, I understand that they are the same. Same dreams, same desires, same hopes. Same frustrations. No body and I do mean no body likes to be screwed with.

I do know this. You give someone an excuse to fail and they will take it. You give them an easy out to blame someone else and they will do it.

No cop should choke a perp to death, kneel on them until they are dead, beat them to death, shoot them in the back simply because they are running, etc. Cops who dirty should face hard time, no segregation. Cops who cover for dirty cops should get the same. But how is branding every cop bad any different than some Klucker branding all blacks bad?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Yet how many of these women had Secoriea Turner as their daughters?? Were they too busy virtue signalling to have any light bulbs go on about the dangers of justifying excessive violence, and encouraging it as "justice"?
I'm really tired of this phrase. No one can do anything anymore w/o it being called virtue signalling. And supporting a cause does not mean that one supports the violent actors that come out. Most of the protests are peaceful. The cameras focus on the ones that are not, so many you don't see them or know about them. Some of y'all are trying to make peaceful protesting out to be a bad thing all of a sudden.

*I* support the anti police brutality cause. I do not obviously support the violence and little girls being shot. You're trying to demonize anyone who doesn't think like you.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Every single White BLM supporter that Know lives in white neighborhoods and claim that they once had a black friend or they know someone who is black.

When I tell them I raised a black kid they say "Oh that's different, you raised him to be white." LOL. I say no, I raised him to be successful in life and he is.

I once had a manager (white) tell me that I just didn't understand how black people are different. I said no, I understand that they are the same. Same dreams, same desires, same hopes. Same frustrations. No body and I do mean no body likes to be screwed with.

I do know this. You give someone an excuse to fail and they will take it. You give them an easy out to blame someone else and they will do it.

No cop should choke a perp to death, kneel on them until they are dead, beat them to death, shoot them in the back simply because they are running, etc. Cops who dirty should face hard time, no segregation. Cops who cover for dirty cops should get the same.
Your saying BLM supporters are making racist statements to you? I really doubt that.

Quote:
But how is branding every cop bad any different than some Klucker branding all blacks bad?
No one is doing that. No idea why you are asking that.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
That handful sure get around. This is the whitewashing everyone wants to do. 'A few bad apples'. How have your black friends never met even an average cop who could manage to call them sir? You said most are outstanding, so why can't they manage that?

Our cops do in my city. Sir and Mr so and so. My PD has undergone a lot of training in that regard.
Its always the handful that get the recognition. The problem with the few bad apples in the case of the police is the support network that protects them. Far too many good cops will look the other way or simply lie about what they saw. No? How many cops stepped in for Floyd? How many stopped the bad cop from doing what he was doing?

How about that man choked to death in NYC for selling untaxed cigarettes?

It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, plenty look the other way.

There is something fundamentally wrong with allowing the police to police themselves. It doesn't work. It takes a lot for a cop to rat out a fellow officer. Were it not for cellphones we wouldn't even know about the unwarranted killings.

How about those McMichaels and their friend? Chasing an unarmed black man through their neighborhood. Hey former cop, works in the DA's office. Barely an investigation. Were it not for a dumb jazz posting videos they wouldn't have even had to answer for what they did.

Yes a handful gets around because there is always a few in every group who shouldn't be.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Its always the handful that get the recognition. The problem with the few bad apples in the case of the police is the support network that protects them. Far too many good cops will look the other way or simply lie about what they saw. No? How many cops stepped in for Floyd? How many stopped the bad cop from doing what he was doing?

How about that man choked to death in NYC for selling untaxed cigarettes?

It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, plenty look the other way.

There is something fundamentally wrong with allowing the police to police themselves. It doesn't work. It takes a lot for a cop to rat out a fellow officer. Were it not for cellphones we wouldn't even know about the unwarranted killings.

How about those McMichaels and their friend? Chasing an unarmed black man through their neighborhood. Hey former cop, works in the DA's office. Barely an investigation. Were it not for a dumb jazz posting videos they wouldn't have even had to answer for what they did.

Yes a handful gets around because there is always a few in every group who shouldn't be.
By definition, then, they are not good cops.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Your saying BLM supporters are making racist statements to you? I really doubt that.

No one is doing that. No idea why you are asking that.
Never said BLM is making racist statements to me personally. But they do make racist statements, or at least some would say so if say the slogan was white lives matter. And yes the group has made racist statements.

So calls to defund the police is not making a statement? Like the police are bad so we need to defund them? Seems like saying black kids are dumb stop funding their schools.

I know this, the BLM protests have only caused problems not solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies