Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This needs to stop. Stop stop stop.
Stop giving away money. It's not enough to help those that need and deserve it, and its too much for these lazy skells who wont pay any bills with it anyway. Just gonna buy flatscreens, sneakers, iphone 13's and whatever. It's a waste of money. It's burying us all deeper in the hole.
I agree..cut me a check Mr trump.big enough so I can get my Corvette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 09:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This needs to stop. Stop stop stop.
Stop giving away money. It's not enough to help those that need and deserve it, and its too much for these lazy skells who wont pay any bills with it anyway. Just gonna buy flatscreens, sneakers, iphone 13's and whatever. It's a waste of money. It's burying us all deeper in the hole.
I can't say I disagree with you. You are basically correct. All this spending makes me sick.

The thing is, everyone wants to prime the pump and get the economy flowering again. Each for their own reasons. So it seems a forgone conclusion that either expenditures or tax breaks are in the offing, money ripped out of the budget and thrown into a dark pit. The only question is how will they proceed?

Republicans favor tax incentives to the rich and global corporations, basically a supply side approach. That's a (sort of) 'build it, and they will come' idea. Except these are usually 'no strings attached' gifts in keeping with a free market philosophy. Companies take advantage of that to pay enormous dividends to stockholders and bonuses to CEOs. They definitely don't want to pay salaries and benefits anyone who will not have much to do, actually, so they will just keep the windfall the government throws at them. Smart.

The Democrats favor putting spending cash money into the pockets of working class people, to make them more willing to spend money and drive up demand for consumer goods and services. This would be a quicker approach to getting people working, but does not translate into immediate dividends for the stockholders. The dividends (and subsequently stock values) have to be earned from quarter to quarter through wise management decisions and careful budgeting.

We have a bizarre situation right now (and basically most of the year thus far) where the very richest in our country are making enormous amounts of money while many millions of Americans are out of work and millions more are underemployed. How is that even possible? Republican policies helping big business favor this scenario, and the first stimulus package seems to have been full of that, they are apparently now looking for a repeat of the same.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Doesnt matter, even if they vote to give every man and woman working age, $100K check, our economy will still be great, the stock mkt will continue to climb, etc etc. LOL

People are easily deceived today!

Old 07-23-2020, 01:06 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Handsome Man View Post
My last Covid bailout check only had the name of Donald J Trump on it.

Remember the phrase "the buck stops here"?
That sure seems like buying votes to me.

Even though I didn't vote for the guy, a lot of the stuff he has accomplished has been positive. Deficit spending and his trade wars nonsense are not some of those positive things.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:20 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Firstly, the virus is being handled like the keystone cops. Many of the policies and procedures make zero sense. One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing. It's stupid and an epic fail by our government.
But, it is what it is, we ruined the economy and lives. There were/are better ways to help people out financially instead of a blanket handout to everyone. Whatever. This country sucks now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies