Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 02:41 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

I believe most people voted for Trump because they were tired of politics being business as usual. Now that we have experienced the miserable failures of the reality tv host Demented Don many realize that politics as usual isn't as bad as it could be.

The real issues here is that unless you are in the top 10% of the money folks your are being screwed.
Both parties are at fault and are run by oligarchs whose objective is to keep profiting by keeping the masses gnawing at each other's throats while they steal the kitty.

Most Americans have seen for themselves Trump's loyalty to the Russians. Trump threw US intelligence agencies under the bus and praised Putin. Trump has fought hard to keep his tax returns a secret. The reason may be, at least in part, after trump multiple bankruptcies and business failures he could not get a bank loan from American banks. However, he was able to secure loans through Deutsche Bank that were backed by none other that one of Trump's heros Vladimir Putin.

I believe most wise Americans now subscribe to the quote, "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

A vote for Trump is a vote for Putin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 03:04 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Polling is anonymous. But I guess if one is so delusional and so cowardly to fear a pollster on the phone...well, that’s just pathetic and sad. I suspect most people surveyed aren’t. For now, I’ll stick to the data rather than half-baked excuses.
I am guessing you never have done any actual polling - any polling that is controversial has some selection bias and who is conducting it, what wording is used and how questions is delivered that can significantly bias the results. True unbiased polling, especially in politically charged atmosphere, is extremely difficult to achieve. Why do you think Trump won when polls showed Hillary with a significant lead.

You are guilty of selective bias here, denigrating (delusional) and dismissing comments that disagree with your premise. Why is so important for you to dismiss those that may see things differently?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:11 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I believe most people voted for Trump because they were tired of politics being business as usual. Now that we have experienced the miserable failures of the reality tv host Demented Don many realize that politics as usual isn't as bad as it could be.

The real issues here is that unless you are in the top 10% of the money folks your are being screwed.
Both parties are at fault and are run by oligarchs whose objective is to keep profiting by keeping the masses gnawing at each other's throats while they steal the kitty.

Most Americans have seen for themselves Trump's loyalty to the Russians. Trump threw US intelligence agencies under the bus and praised Putin. Trump has fought hard to keep his tax returns a secret. The reason may be, at least in part, after trump multiple bankruptcies and business failures he could not get a bank loan from American banks. However, he was able to secure loans through Deutsche Bank that were backed by none other that one of Trump's heros Vladimir Putin.

I believe most wise Americans now subscribe to the quote, "fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me."

A vote for Trump is a vote for Putin.
As more people recognize this, I suspect Trump's support will continue to wane.

Some Republicans in Congress are already jumping ship.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I am guessing you never have done any actual polling - any polling that is controversial has some selection bias and who is conducting it, what wording is used and how questions is delivered that can significantly bias the results. True unbiased polling, especially in politically charged atmosphere, is extremely difficult to achieve. Why do you think Trump won when polls showed Hillary with a significant lead.

You are guilty of selective bias here, denigrating (delusional) and dismissing comments that disagree with your premise. Why is so important for you to dismiss those that may see things differently?
While it is true that polling is difficult, and that any survey will have limitations, polling has become more and more sophisticated and precise over the years. You seem to have difficulty understanding polling, margin of error, and with interpreting data. I will just simply say that national polling does not directly translate to electoral votes, which is how the winner of the presidency is determined. There have been numerous articles explaining this and I will leave it to your own volition to enrich your understanding of this topic.

To return to the accuracy of national polls, one simply has to look at the national tally in 2016. Indeed, the average of polls leading up to the election reflected the final outcome to within about 1-2 points. To deny this is to deny reality.

I referenced a link to Pew Research earlier in this thread on how they and similar quality pollsters conduct surveys. I think it has many answers to questions you may have since you seem very unfamiliar with polling methodologies (based on what you’ve written). Consider it homework to get yourself more informed. I look forward to engaging you again when you are better informed and less reflexively defensive. Be well.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
While it is true that polling is difficult, and that any survey will have limitations, polling has become more and more sophisticated and precise over the years. You seem to have difficulty understanding polling, margin of error, and with interpreting data. I will just simply say that national polling does not directly translate to electoral votes, which is how the winner of the presidency is determined. There have been numerous articles explaining this and I will leave it to your own volition to enrich your understanding of this topic.

To return to the accuracy of national polls, one simply has to look at the national tally in 2016. Indeed, the average of polls leading up to the election reflected the final outcome to within about 1-2 points. To deny this is to deny reality.

I referenced a link to Pew Research earlier in this thread on how they and similar quality pollsters conduct surveys. I think it has many answers to questions you may have since you seem very unfamiliar with polling methodologies (based on what you’ve written). Consider it homework to get yourself more informed. I look forward to engaging you again when you are better informed and less reflexively defensive. Be well.
Again - you are denigrating anyone that disagrees with you - "You seem to have difficulty understanding polling, margin of error, and with interpreting data."

I have done polling and my job involved a significant amount of statistical analysis. Any polls margin of error is based on the expectation that the poll is completely unbiased - but there is highly likely strong bias here. Again, I expect you have never done any actual polling and analysis. BTW - I have several advanced degrees and significant coursework in statistics.

The Cato institute just released a poll that 62% of people and 77% of conservatives were hesitant to share their political viewpoint https://www.cato.org/publications/su...e-afraid-share

Quote:
A new Cato national survey finds that self‐​censorship is on the rise in the United States. Nearly two-thirds—62%—of Americans say the political climate these days prevents them from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive.

Strong liberals stand out, however, as the only political group who feel they can express themselves. Nearly 6 in 10 (58%) of staunch liberals feel they can say what they believe. However, centrist liberals feel differently. A slim majority (52%) of liberals feel they have to self‐​censor, as do 64% of moderates, and 77% of conservatives.

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-23-2020 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Again - you are denigrating anyone that disagrees with you - "You seem to have difficulty understanding polling, margin of error, and with interpreting data."

I have done polling and my job involved a significant amount of statistical analysis. Any polls margin of error is based on the expectation that the poll is completely unbiased - but there is highly likely strong bias here. Again, I expect you have never done any actual polling and analysis. BTW - I have several advanced degrees and significant coursework in statistics.

The Cato institute just released a poll that 62% of people and 77% of conservatives were hesitant to share their political viewpoint https://www.cato.org/publications/su...e-afraid-share
So were you being disingenuous when you asked “why did Trump win?” when we were talking about national polls? I find it very difficult to believe that someone who has advanced degrees in statistics and who have had actual field experience would NOT understand how an accurate national polling average might not translate to an electoral college victory.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So were you being disingenuous when you asked “why did Trump win?” when we were talking about national polls? that someone who has advanced degrees in statistics and who have had actual field experience would NOT understand how an accurate national polling average might not translate to an electoral college victory.
Please don't put words in my mouth and again, you are denigrating "I find it very difficult to believe....would NOT understand" - I guess you can't help yourself.

I was simply pointing out that polls have been wrong in the past and this has a very high chance of bias. Take the polls for what they are worth but they may be hiding significantly different results. Try listening to, instead of putting down, a different viewpoint.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:10 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Seniors are jumping off the bandwagon because they are not safe in Trump’s disease ridden America.

They want to see their Children and grandchildren again.
BS

Do you seriously think that if Hillary had won, there would have been no COVID in the US?

Get real.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth and again, you are denigrating "I find it very difficult to believe....would NOT understand" - I guess you can't help yourself.

I was simply pointing out that polls have been wrong in the past and this has a very high chance of bias. Take the polls for what they are worth but they may be hiding significantly different results. Try listening to, instead of putting down, a different viewpoint.
It is getting a bit tedious to elicit a direct answer from you. If you are not being evasive, please answer the questions I posed. Again, were you being disingenuous when you asked “why did Trump win?” when we have been discussing national polls? Do you agree that the aggregate of national surveys in the final weeks of the 2016 general election accurately predicted the national presidential vote tally?

These are very simple questions that require a yes or no answer. I appreciate your different viewpoint, but your inability to answer a direct question is simply tiring (and perhaps telling).

Old 07-23-2020, 04:23 PM

50,375 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We aren’t. No poll ever calls me or my husband. You Dems are in for another ugly surprise, but keep deluding yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies