Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 08:44 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it gave them reason to double their efforts.
If they are anti-government violent extremists, and more government to protect its buildings triggers them, how is that the fault of the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I think you are spot on. They don't want solutions. They want a reason to tear down. I'm beginning to see the split in America being along two lines: those who want to tear down, and those who want to preserve and improve. I'm on the side of preserving and improving. And that shouldn't be something that is a right or left thing. We're all Americans.
So, for whatever reason the Democrat politicians who run these cities (and want to get reelected to run them) want to tear them down, while the Republicans who hate those cities want to preserve them

And somehow this makes sense to you

The mind of a Trump apologist is a mysterious place.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
So, for whatever reason the Democrat politicians who run these cities (and want to get reelected to run them) want to tear them down, while the Republicans who hate those cities want to preserve them

I'm not a Trump apologist. This is the problem with Trump. If Trump takes ANY SIDE of an issue, anyone else who happens to fall on that side--or has a view that is anywhere close-- automatically becomes a Trump apologist. Why is that? I'm on the side of right and wrong. It is wrong to allow violence to persist for two months. It's right for feds to defend a courthouse. If Trump says it's Tuesday, it's still Tuesday.

The Democrats who run these cities don't want to tear them down, but their misguided policies are having that effect. I mean-- look at the cities. Portland, Seattle, San Fran, LA, NYC. Riots, tent cities, junkies, crime, gang shootings, entire crews with no other job than cleaning human excrement.

The mayor of my city is a Democrat, but not a progressive. He used to be a Republican. He's very centrist and pro law and order. I'll probably vote for him again. But never would I vote for a progressive of the ilk of Ted Wheeler, DeBlasio, or Mayor Jenny. Never. I'm not suicidal.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:17 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:

Do you support or oppose the destruction of businesses and federal buildings? Are you OK or not OK with violence? When was the last time you went out to support those in need in your community? If so, how did you do that? Have you taken any time to help individuals in the black community? How about senior citizens?

Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
How to stop this domestic insurgency..declare absolute curfew no exceptions violators will be dealt with by use of deadly force...then at appointed time of curfew send in a couple Apache gunships flatten insurgents won't take long. Only thing these deranged criminals will understand is what they are doing that local LE is failing to stop. Its like a fatal cancer ya gotta cut it out now before it spreads outa control. Talking and being nice only amuses these enemies of the Republic. Find the leadership and hang them at high noon live on every network. Ditto the financers of this. As Barney use to say " ya gotta nip it in the bud"....

Old 07-23-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I'm not a Trump apologist. This is the problem with Trump. If Trump takes ANY SIDE of an issue, anyone else who happens to fall on that side--or has a view that is anywhere close-- automatically becomes a Trump apologist. Why is that? I'm on the side of right and wrong. It is wrong to allow violence to persist for two months. It's right for feds to defend a courthouse. If Trump says it's Tuesday, it's still Tuesday.

The Democrats who run these cities don't want to tear them down, but their misguided policies are having that effect. I mean-- look at the cities. Portland, Seattle, San Fran, LA, NYC. Riots, tent cities, junkies, crime, gang shootings, entire crews with no other job than cleaning human excrement.

The mayor of my city is a Democrat, but not a progressive. He used to be a Republican. He's very centrist and pro law and order. I'll probably vote for him again. But never would I vote for a progressive of the ilk of Ted Wheeler, DeBlasio, or Mayor Jenny. Never. I'm not suicidal.
Let me know if you wish to address my point,

Old 07-23-2020, 09:48 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
When did the federal agents arrive? Was it approx 50 days ago?
June 27. Don't know how many then vs the last week. But the first incident I've found is the rioters shooting fireworks AT the cops and feds on July 4.

Whatever went into it, it ramped up again when the 1 protestor/rioter got shot in the face with a rubber bullet on July 11. We don't know the complete picture of that incident, nor do we know what happened between the 4th and the 11th.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Let me know if you wish to address my point,
I did. I said the Democrats don't want to tear down their cities. Their policies are misguided. I don't know if the Republicans want to preserve Portland or Seattle. I know the feds are supposed to protect the federal building. Unlike you, I'm not partisan, and I don't see all things through that lens. Maybe you don't understand my answer because I'm not partisan.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Do you support or oppose the destruction of businesses and federal buildings? Are you OK or not OK with violence?
Does anyone support it?

I am talking about the propaganda lines people come here to parrot about Mayor who WANT to tear down their own cities. The parrots might think it sounds profound, but if they stopped to think about what they are saying, they would realize how childish such comments are. They claims are so absurd that I'll bet they are hit-pieces straight from Moscow troll farms.

I also said the federal troops in full combat gear and rifles are only escalating the tensions, and are likely to draw in more anarchists because now they have a new cause. They'll use just about any excuse to riot.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-23-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 10:05 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Kind of amazing that Ted Wheeler apparently thought he could actually go out and negotiate with the mob; of course "Ted Wheeler tear-gassed by federal agents" is the headline. You would think that politicians at this point would realize that the people who are out on the streets vandalizing and destroying stuff aren't the kind of people you can reason with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...land-tear-gas/
you've got to be willing to read, which has been proven too much for the MSM and national politicians who tweet out, but here's a lengthy timeline of just last night...

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...e-updates.html

here's the summary:

Quote:
Federal officers released gas on the crowd after some people threw things, walked inside a new perimeter fence and aimed fireworks toward the building.
here's the details:

Quote:
Focus started to shift to the federal courthouse after 10:30 p.m. Officials had built a new fence bolted to steel bars that blocked people from collecting directly next to the courthouse entrance. Some people set off fireworks toward the building and threw debris over the fence. A small fire ignited near the edge of the fence.

The federal courthouse continued to draw more attention. After some people started shaking it, the Federal Protective Service used a loudspeaker to tell the crowd not to tamper with the fence.

Around 11 p.m., a few people found a way into the fence and wandered near the courthouse entrance. Federal officers ordered those people to leave.

Wheeler navigated to the front of the fence, surrounded by reporters and at least five security guards wearing earpieces.

Federal officers emerged from the courthouse around the same time the mayor arrived. Agents appeared to detain some people, including one person who had been roller skating in the area blocked by fences.
Some officers set off tear gas and other devices to break up the crowd. Many people stayed or returned soon after. Wheeler put on goggles and remained at the fence, flanked by guards.

By 11:25 p.m., the debris fire continued to burn on the sidewalk. Portland police said on Twitter that fireworks or a similar type of device had ignited the flames.

Federal officers emerged again around 11:40 p.m. and set off devices, including some that emitted gas, smoke or sound, to break up the crowd. The situation calmed down for a few minutes, then federal officers reemerged after warning people to leave federal property.
that's about when Wheeler left, but it continued on, back and forth, into the wee hours.
Quote:
By midnight, several hundred people returned to the courthouse. Some people again set off fireworks. Other people ran into the fenced-off area to throw debris or embers toward the building. Federal officers again released a cloud of tear gas around 12:20 a.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies