U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM

24,563 posts, read 11,147,124 times

Advertisements

Last year, I was talking with a friend, well actually more like listening to him complain how bad Trump is, how bad the economy is and will this country ever recover. He is one of the few friends I have that is left leaning, and he absolutely hates Trump.
So, I was reflecting on that conversation and looking at the people I know and how we all have been doing since 2016. We are all middle class, and only a couple have degrees.

I'll start with my friend the Trump hater and his wife. She works in the aerospace industry and her career has been doing extremely well. Her husband, pulled all of his money out of the market after the election and put it in savings. Since 2016 they've bought a new truck , motorcycle and ATV's.

couple #2 sold their home, bought a $500k house on the water, a 38' powerboat and another smaller boat.

couple #3 bought a 35' powerboat and some snowmobiles and ATV's

couple #4 sold their waterfront home and purchased another waterfront home.

couple #5 sold their home, purchased a larger one and bought a new car.

My wife and I sold our home, for another one double the size on 2 acres. Bought a new truck, a SxS and an ATV. The past few years her career (finance) has grown incredibly. Mine is good, but level.

I know we are very fortunate, and Michigan was doing very well, and I am so thankful. With all the hatred I've seen for Trump since even before he won, I'm just curious if the hate is a direct result of their lives being effect by him. I keep hearing how bad the economy was and the country was falling apart , I guess I just don't see it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 08:43 AM

67,312 posts, read 50,571,915 times
How has your lives been effected since Trump has been in office, pre COVID

Let's hear from those about how they think their children's and grandchildren's lives will be affected by Trump's presidency. A competent POTUS plans for the future, NOT just for tomorrow's poll numbers.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:45 AM

21,071 posts, read 13,789,259 times
I know we were doing well and even though the Trump haters I know would never admit it they were also doing very well financially.

Imagine how Great America as a whole would have been if the media was on Trumps side instead of actively working to tear him down. The Democrats and their media have been dropping so much doom and gloom on top of us that many people are depressed from it.

Just imagine if they had decided to work with Trump instead of against him how well we would all be doing both physically, mentally and financially.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know we were doing well and even though the Trump haters I know would never admit it they were also doing very well financially.

Imagine how Great America as a whole would have been if the media was on Trumps side instead of actively working to tear him down. The Democrats and their media have been dropping so much doom and gloom on top of us that many people are depressed from it.

Just imagine if they had decided to work with Trump instead of against him how well we would all be doing both physically, mentally and financially.
I couldn't agree more. It's a shame what has happened. In the eyes of the haters, he presidency was a failure before he even was sworn in.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 AM

12,020 posts, read 4,375,635 times
  • Got my best promotion and single year pay increase in my career
  • paying the lowest effective tax rate I have since 2005
  • shaved 9 years off my mortgage
Now, I don't think Trump being in that office has one bit to do with my decent fortunes over the last 4 years, but him being in that office certainly hasn't ruined anything in my life either.

My life and career also steadily improved while Clinton, Bush and Obama were in that office, and with R-R, R-D, D-R and D-D Senate-House majorities over that time span.

Point being, my life and career improve IN SPITE of government, not because of it.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:49 AM

32,928 posts, read 18,544,300 times
My life was affected positively in every way.

The only change is that I need to put money into savings each year, because the IRS is taking out less in taxes from my paycheck, and I always seem to owe $200-$300 on April 15.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 AM

12,020 posts, read 4,375,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's hear from those about how they think their children's and grandchildren's lives will be affected by Trump's presidency. A competent POTUS plans for the future, NOT just for tomorrow's poll numbers.
And no President has more to do with permanent laws and regulations that actually can affect future generations than their final signature on a bill that was sent to their desk after House and Senate approval.

Executive Orders are transient, temporary and fragile, and they never last beyond the first term of the "next guy." What does endure is a product of the Legislature, not the Executive, and both parties going back to when they figured out how to tax income and make it "constitutional" have discarded any semblance of concern for the future. You want to blame a President for the largest shift towards "screw the future, a brother needs paid because life ain't nuthin but b1shes and money!" thinking at the federal level, you gotta wind the clocks back to the election of 1912. Good old Woody took Lincoln's "I hate federalism and I run s**t up in this piece!" mojo and cranked it to 11. Trump is a punctuation mark at the end of Wilson's novella.

But even with Wilson, FDR and LBJ, all of their destructive crap that we are still being beaten down by to this very day is like 2% them, and 98% the House and Senate that legislated such tyranny on their behalf.

President's don't set spending, Congress does.

President's don't set tax rates, Congress does.

President's don't create legacy tyranny like the Davis-Bacon Act or the Telecomm Act, Congress does.

President's don't create and ratify the 16th Amendment, Congress and 34 states saying yea does.

Presidents are transient, Congress is forever.

Focus your angst properly.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
  • Got my best promotion and single year pay increase in my career
  • paying the lowest effective tax rate I have since 2005
  • shaved 9 years off my mortgage
Now, I don't think Trump being in that office has one bit to do with my decent fortunes over the last 4 years, but him being in that office certainly hasn't ruined anything in my life either.

My life and career also steadily improved while Clinton, Bush and Obama were in that office, and with R-R, R-D, D-R and D-D Senate-House majorities over that time span.

Point being, my life and career improve IN SPITE of government, not because of it.
Nicely put. And I agree, although I do think Trump did have some effect on consumer and corporate confidence. And that really does directly effect things.

The worst year I've ever had as an adult was '08, but I also have to give credit for Obama saving my industry, and it has steadily increased since. Although, myself personally, financially I'm still not quite back up to pre '08 levels.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:08 AM

7,823 posts, read 6,811,205 times
We're still thriving, even post Covid. DD has a health food/supplement business, and sales have been very good (immunity boosters, vitamins, organic foods, CBD, etc.) Prior to the Covid, she was already seeing an uptick in business while the economy was booming. She was able to buy a brand new company van. Son-in-law received a pay increase and bonus at his job, and was able to work from home during the pandemic. He also runs a side business, in addition to his full time job, and took on a few more clients during the pandemic. No BLM riots here (only sparsley attended peaceful protests), so neither's business or livelihood was in jeopardy.

I work for a school district and was still paid for the months off during lockdown. During the lockdown DH finally did some extensive renovations to my kitchen he didn't have time for previously (he's retired, so he had no job to be affected).

We're all Trump supporting Republicans.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 AM

14,472 posts, read 8,760,949 times
My life was fine before he showed up and it remained fine. Of course to some of us we are not just concerned about ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies