Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 10:41 AM

29,383 posts, read 9,566,962 times

Advertisements

One of my biggest concerns these days is that the next election be close, because...

If it is close and Trump loses, we all know what sort of conspiracy hell will be unleashed by all too many Americans who seem to be fully into that sort of thing. If it is close and Trump wins, we all know what sort of protest hell will be unleashed by all too many Americans already taking to the street. My wish is that the winner win by a landslide so that perhaps we can at least have a clear mandate as to what America mostly wants in terms of direction. What the clear majority of Americans want.

Or no doubt there will be hell to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 11:53 AM

Meanwhile, let me just say we probably all got the chance to listen to Trump's White House press conference yesterday. There was a litany of new Trump quotes to add to the growing number of "believe it or not" things he tends to think and/or say, but this one is probably my favorite from yesterday.

REPORTER Q: Thank you. What was the one thing — if there was one thing — that changed your mind about the convention? And did Florida officials ask you to cancel it?

THE PRESIDENT: No, they didn’t. We’re dealing with them, but they didn’t. I would just say safety. Just safety. I just — you know, I could see the media saying, “Oh this is very unsafe. This is…” I don’t want to be in that position. It’s safety — not because of the media, but that’s what they would say.

ME: Now I ask you, we talking safety or something else? Is this what Trump thinks or what the media thinks? Or what Florida thinks? Or is Trump thinking only about the media? Like Trump gives a rat's ass what the media thinks all of a sudden? Trump started the conference by saying this...

THE PRESIDENT: We’ve had a tremendous week uniting the country in our fight against the China virus. I have reminded people of the importance of masks when you can’t socially distance, in particular. A strong message has been sent out to young people to stop going to crowded bars and other crowded places.

No doubt this sort of thing really tends to get under one's skin over time...

Bottom line: Just can't have it both ways far as I'm concerned. Again more to the important point of confirmation bias that rules the day these days, after the press conference, I listened to the post-discussion on CNN. They were tearing Trump more than a few new aceholes with commentary that seemed pretty in line with my impressions, though I did appreciate how Trump was talking as if he wanted to make sure 3rd graders could follow what he was saying.

Curious, I soon stopped listening to CNN and turned the channel to Fox News. There of course it was praise of Trump like always, beyond the pale. Is it just me or what's wrong with this picture? This is the thing that concerns me more than just a little these days, and after all this time of sacrifice, lives and livelihoods, to be going backwards in so many parts of the country (and world)? Gets really old. How many times did Trump contradict himself in that one press conference? I hate to do the count.

For me anyway, it's been the concern for others and the want to end this thing sooner rather than later for all concerned. That's why I for one have been doing what I can, toward safety, caution and prevention, not for me but for those really hurting one way or another because of this damn thing going on too long now. Definitely not too happy we seem to be going backwards nevertheless, with no end immediately in sight...

Hey! But at least we here are good and well, in a California county not on the watch list, yet, but that's looking shaky too as of late. Despite Trump's rosy map of America "not doing too badly." Always good to hear from Trump how we're the best by far in every way Trump can think to describe us in the most fantastic terms ever. No doubt his base sure seems to have little tolerance to hear anything else.

Hope you and yours are good and well too!

Old 07-24-2020, 12:16 PM

6,053 posts, read 2,657,297 times
I think Biden has to win the election by a big percentage. If its close Trump will prob fight it and the Supreme court will decide it will be Bush V Gore all over again.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:17 PM

24,296 posts, read 17,023,261 times
I just want Trump to win. I'm sure the election will be close and win or lose can it get any worse than what we are experiencing now??

Trump won in 2016 and the peaceful transfer of power that Obama told us was so important for our democracy was anything but. We have lived through the scandal of 2 scoops of ice cream, the Deep State leaks and "Not my President" disruption, Russia Russia Russia, Stormy Daniels, the constant 24/7 negative grind of the Lefty media propaganda machine, the threat of a "Constitutional crisis" that has never happened, Impeachment, Corona fallout that the Dems seem to be applauding, Economic downturn and now the cancel culture kids rioting in the streets...

If all that is peaceful I hate to see what the Democrats have planned as an encore if Trump should win.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just want Trump to win. I'm sure the election will be close and win or lose can it get any worse than what we are experiencing now??

Trump won in 2016 and the peaceful transfer of power that Obama told us was so important for our democracy was anything but. We have lived through the scandal of 2 scoops of ice cream, the Deep State leaks and "Not my President" disruption, Russia Russia Russia, Stormy Daniels, the constant 24/7 negative grind of the Lefty media propaganda machine, the threat of a "Constitutional crisis" that has never happened, Impeachment, Corona fallout that the Dems seem to be applauding, Economic downturn and now the cancel culture kids rioting in the streets...

If all that is peaceful I hate to see what the Democrats have planned as an encore if Trump should win.
It seems to be a common inclination for conservatives to point at the friction that comes with the transfer of power as if that's somehow the fault of one side over the other when American history has always been the story of much discord along those lines. The Civil War a great example...

"Corona fallout that the Dems seem to be applauding?" Talk about confirmation bias! Did nothing in my prior comment resonate even just a little with you about that?

Though nothing really new in America all considered, it's truly amazing for me to see how this dynamic continues to play out the way it does. Facts, reasons and logic be damned, the great ideological divide and the confirmation bias that makes it so forever rules the day. Amazing, truly sad and a very real problem here in America. Now much as ever...

Old 07-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
It seems to be a common inclination for conservatives to point at the friction that comes with the transfer of power as if that's somehow the fault of one side over the other when American history has always been the story of much discord along those lines. The Civil War a great example...

"Corona fallout that the Dems seem to be applauding?" Talk about confirmation bias! Did nothing in my prior comment resonate even just a little with you about that?

Though nothing really new in America all considered, it's truly amazing for me to see how this dynamic continues to play out the way it does. Facts, reasons and logic be damned, the great ideological divide and the confirmation bias that makes it so forever rules the day. Amazing, truly sad and a very real problem here in America. Now much as ever...

Ahh we have always had a somewhat peaceful transfer of power and Obama only said this when he thought Hillary was going to win in a landslide. Right from the start the Left tried to denounce Trump and they refused to accept that he won. There has never been anything like it before and they are gearing up for it again dropping stories that Trump is going to barricade himself in the WH and refuse to leave.

The Dems are applauding the shutdowns and the aftermath because they are blaming it on Trump or at least trying to. I have seen it myself. Today the Governor of my state is about to clamp down again on travel and restrictions.

We could have the election today and it would be close because the Dems are pushing people off the fence and into a corner. You are either with Trump, hold your nose and vote for him and America or vote for Biden and continue the pandering, the anarchy and ridiculous schemes that will really harm the America as we know it.

We are a nation divided and Trump had nothing to do with it. You are either for law and order or you are for anarchy in the streets. it is pretty basic.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,150,812 times
I don't believe there will ever be another election that ISN'T close.

No more landslides at the highest level.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:44 PM

4,624 posts, read 1,920,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueguy58 View Post
I think Biden has to win the election by a big percentage. If its close Trump will prob fight it and the Supreme court will decide it will be Bush V Gore all over again.
You can substitute Trump for Biden and say the exact same thing except add more riots in the streets. Actually it doesn't matter if Trump has the biggest victory in our history, they still will riot in the street.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,014,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

You just summarized what the last 4 years was about. Its always the others fault

Old 07-25-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
You just summarized what the last 4 years was about. Its always the others fault

and how did any of those Democrat backed "shockers" advance America and its people? All they served to do was to bring us all down and divide us further.

What were the Dems doing when the Corona first popped up? They were locked in the basement of the House debating the political pros and cons of impeaching Trump on some stupid charges.

Trump certainly has his issues but the Democrats have done nothing in the last 4 years but try to denounce and destroy the President. The Kavanaugh hearings were a political circus and the only positive to come out of that was that all women should be believed until the evidence is carefully weighed but when Biden was accused of jacking an intern up against a wall there was nothing to see because she is a lying bimbo??

I'm just pointing out that given everything we have been dragged through since 2016 is the doing of the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies