Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US have an Equal Rights Amendment?
Yes - it will help women's rights 6 20.69%
Yes - it will help men's rights 0 0%
Yes - but it won't help anything though 2 6.90%
No - it's not needed 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times

Advertisements

I want to see where people stand on the issue. Would the US benefit from an equal rights amendment that would alter the US Constitution to expressly forbid any sort of discrimination on the basis of sex? Would it help women's rights? Would it hurt woman's rights? Would it help men's rights? Would it hurt men's rights? I think it might help men's rights by eliminating some women's entitlement programs. But I think it likely won't do anything. At least twenty states have adopted constitutional or constitutional amendments providing that equal rights under the law shall not be denied because of sex and there are several federal laws (such as the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, and Titles VII and IX of 1964 and 1972 respectively) that make discrimination against women illegal. I say pass it anyway so people won't have an excuse to complain and complain and complain and complain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 PM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times
14th Amendment and the various iterations of the federal Civil Rights Act already cover any/everything the ERA would. Totally pointless to go through the exercise.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM

59,020 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I want to see where people stand on the issue. Would the US benefit from an equal rights amendment that would alter the US Constitution to expressly forbid any sort of discrimination on the basis of sex? Would it help women's rights? Would it hurt woman's rights? Would it help men's rights? Would it hurt men's rights? I think it might help men's rights by eliminating some women's entitlement programs. But I think it likely won't do anything. At least twenty states have adopted constitutional or constitutional amendments providing that equal rights under the law shall not be denied because of sex and there are several federal laws (such as the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, and Titles VII and IX of 1964 and 1972 respectively) that make discrimination against women illegal. I say pass it anyway so people won't have an excuse to complain and complain and complain and complain...
First you have to describe what you mean by "equal".

Old 07-23-2020, 12:33 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
14th Amendment and the various iterations of the federal Civil Rights Act already cover any/everything the ERA would. Totally pointless to go through the exercise.
Yes, but my question is also what rights don't women have that we need yet another law to give them?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:40 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Women do not want "equal" rights IF they come with "equal" obligations.
Women want SPECIAL privileges and all the other perks they can grab.
Ex: male citizens have militia duty - female citizens do not.
I imagine that few women would demand citizenship and voting if it meant 42 years of militia duty (18-50).

Old 07-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, but my question is also what rights don't women have that we need yet another law to give them?
RBG is afraid that women will lose their rights and end up being bought and sold like cattle. The way it was in the good old days!

Quote:
“I think we have achieved that through legislation, but legislation can be repealed, it can be altered,” Ginsburg continued. “So I would like my granddaughters, when they pick up the Constitution, to see that notion – that women and men are persons of equal stature – I’d like them to see that is a basic principle of our society.”
https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...e-constitution

Old 07-23-2020, 04:27 PM

1,745 posts, read 879,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

How about one more choice in the poll for "we already have one - unratified"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rights_Amendment

Old 07-23-2020, 04:33 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
While I support it in jest as I believe it could be interpreted to backfire against feminists, I don't seriously support adding an amendment to the Constitution for that purpose. Judges--from the Supreme Court on down--have shown that they can't be trusted to not bastardize interpretations of the law.

Ultimately, the ERA isn't needed as we have the 14th Amendment. More bad than good would come from this.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I support it in jest as I believe it could be interpreted to backfire against feminists,
That's what IWV thinks.

Quote:
The truth is: women don’t need the ERA. Women are already equal under the law. And women’s rights are already protected by the Constitution, including the 14th and 19th Amendments, and state and federal law.
The ERA willbackfire on women. It will throw into jeopardy a wide range of policies and programs designed to support women by making it legally questionable to recognize differences between the sexes. There are hundreds, if not thousand, of laws that distinguish between men and women or provide benefits to women that will be nullified by the ERA.
https://iwv.org/ERA-hurts-women

Their sister organization the IWF says much the same thing.

Quote:
the ERA will replace this equality under the law with the enforced interchangeability between men and women. While men and women are indeed equal, both common sense and science tell us they are not precisely the same. There are still some situations in which treating men and women precisely alike could harm women or even put them in danger.
https://www.iwf.org/2020/01/17/equal...rced-sameness/

Old 07-24-2020, 10:27 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
None really. It just needs ratification. Its been just sitting there for decades, just sign it and make it official already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies