Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 01:23 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Shores View Post
If you guys are right about the level of danger of the virus, lets close all grocery stores, and all merchandise stores? Let's close all businesses? So I wont get infected, you wont get infected and nobody gets infected, problem solved. By your logic on the dangers of reopening, we would all be dead by now.
If everybody wears a mask and socially distances it will go a long way toward mitigating the effects of this virus. We've not done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 01:23 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yes, I know. I used the 7 day average just to avoid anybody dismissing it as a random spike.

Yesterday, TX saw about 200 , the highest ever.
That's horrible. Now, what do you think about NY, where deaths were over 1000 per day? DURING the lockdown.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:34 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Its not that we opened too soon, its that we "opened" without proper usage of masks and social distancing, and mass mobs of "protests" certainly is not helping either
I can't speak for every area of the U.S. but in my area when businesses started re-opening on a limited basis we were all required to wear masks to enter them with social distancing tapes on the floor 6 ft. apart.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
https://www.economist.com/united-sta...mic-in-america

If we all were a little more patient.....hold off that haircut and the urge to eat at Denny’s for one more month, we would of been in a far better position today.
We're testing more. That's it. That's the reason. Plus the bar was lowered to allow more people to be counted as far as having it.

It's the same reason the death rate is now lower than the flu. More people are being tested. Specifically more, "less at risk people" which is driving down the numbers.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:16 PM

473 posts, read 237,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
If everybody wears a mask and socially distances it will go a long way toward mitigating the effects of this virus. We've not done that.
All businesses regardless of the laws and because of the laws, require employees and customers to wear masks and social distance, millions of American workers are working safely under these conditions. The only thing we can do and are doing.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Shores View Post
All businesses regardless of the laws and because of the laws, require employees and customers to wear masks and social distance, millions of American workers are working safely under these conditions. The only thing we can do and are doing.
I'm hearing from from friends working and shopping in stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. who are saying people are ignoring those rules. I myself have encountered the same thing. Our Dollar General stores require masks. I'm usually the only one wearing one. So we are not all doing what we can be doing. If you are, kudos. Many more are not. Evidently there is no enforcement, so people are thumbing their noses at the laws.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
We're testing more. That's it. That's the reason. Plus the bar was lowered to allow more people to be counted as far as having it.

It's the same reason the death rate is now lower than the flu. More people are being tested. Specifically more, "less at risk people" which is driving down the numbers.
It's not just the number of tests, but the number of positive results that have increased.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's horrible. Now, what do you think about NY, where deaths were over 1000 per day? DURING the lockdown.
The lockdown actually kept deaths down largely because those infected kept the virus at home and didn't spread it at work or at some store or restaurant. Had there been no lockdown, New York hospitals would have been entirely overrun. Remember, DeBlasio also at first wanted kids at school. He relented when too many teachers planed an organized call out.

That said I cannot trust you on being fair, balanced and unbiased on New York. You continually post lies and at best half truths about the city. You said well into last month to not to go to the Northeast corridor despite the fact the Sunbelt was getting bad and becoming hot spots.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The lockdown actually kept deaths down largely because those infected kept the virus at home and didn't spread it at work or at some store or restaurant. Had there been no lockdown, New York hospitals would have been entirely overrun. Remember, DeBlasio also at first wanted kids at school. He relented when too many teachers planed an organized call out.
I worry about schools opening. I think they will, and will have to re-close.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:21 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I already replied on another thread:

1. Death per infection ratio nowadays is much lower compared to that of the early days of the outbreak due to medical advances and better patient management (and that has nothing to do with any governor). Generally much more is known now, compared to March/April (when NYC was hit). Additionally there was time to prepare.

2. NY and TX (or FL) are at completely different time points on their respective curves.

3. The virus replacement number was humongous in NYC at the start (overcrowded public transportation, density, etc.). So, actually the total size of epidemic is still larger in NY (the percentage of people infected so far). Deaths are percentage of that.

4. Deaths lag infections. By a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies