Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yes, I know. I used the 7 day average just to avoid anybody dismissing it as a random spike.

Yesterday, TX saw about 200 , the highest ever.
BS Texas didn't have 200 die of covid 19. Not enough autopsies were performed and there is a difference between dying OF covid 19 and dying WITH covid 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 04:47 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
I already replied on another thread:

1. Death per infection ratio nowadays is much lower compared to that of the early days of the outbreak due to medical advances and better patient management (and that has nothing to do with any governor). Generally much more is known now, compared to March/April (when NYC was hit). Additionally there was time to prepare.

2. NY and TX (or FL) are at completely different time points on their respective curves.

3. The virus replacement number was humongous in NYC at the start (overcrowded public transportation, density, etc.). So, actually the total size of epidemic is still larger in NY (the percentage of people infected so far). Deaths are percentage of that.

4. Deaths lag infections. By a lot.
Also death by infection has dropped because the most vulnerable were tested at first and because of that a very low percentage were tested later. The number of non vulnerable people being tested is at a much higher percentage now and those healthy people hardly have any deaths.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I worry about schools opening. I think they will, and will have to re-close.
Yeah it is a when not an if.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah it is a when not an if.
Only in places with Democrats in charge. Sane people understand the importance of in-person schooling and the statistically zero risk to children.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Only in places with Democrats in charge. Sane people understand the importance of in-person schooling and the statistically zero risk to children.
You mean like Florida where their governor wants in person schooling? Oh wait I'm sorry, DeSantas is a REPUBLICAN. Also the children aren't the only stakeholder in regards to being safe. What about the staff for the school? What about student families? GMAFB on conservative talking points.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:15 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yeah, and sane people also understand that you cannot reopen in the middle of out of control outbreak e.g. FL, TX, AZ, etc.

BTW, all self-inflicted by rushed reopening, irresponsible policies and inconsistent messaging which encouraged stupid behavior.

P.S. Lastly, the risk is of course not zero, but what do you propose gets done when all the parents and teachers get sick? Multiple countries reopened schools once they got the outbreak under control.

Last edited by serger; 07-28-2020 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and sane people also understand that you cannot reopen in the middle of out of control outbreak e.g. FL, TX, AZ, etc.

BTW, all self-inflicted by rushed reopening, irresponsible policies and inconsistent messaging which encouraged stupid behavior.

P.S. Lastly, the risk is of course not zero, but what do you propose gets done when all the parents and teacher get sick? Multiple countries reopened schools once the got the outbreak under control.
Great post that echos my thoughts. I only mentioned FLA in my post above yours since Gov DeSantass is still pushing for reopening schools. Gov Ducebag in AZ has gotten his head out of his ass and thankfully given up the ghost on that one. DeSantass still has his head stuck up his ass.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:32 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Our infections are not being imported at this point. Is anyone seeing 90%+ mask usage in their area?
Actually, yes.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm hearing from from friends working and shopping in stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. who are saying people are ignoring those rules. I myself have encountered the same thing. Our Dollar General stores require masks. I'm usually the only one wearing one. So we are not all doing what we can be doing. If you are, kudos. Many more are not. Evidently there is no enforcement, so people are thumbing their noses at the laws.
people are thumbing their noses at the law all over..FU to the police, kill the police, fu to the government, police suck, laws suck....

Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:

P.S. Lastly, the risk is of course not zero, but what do you propose gets done when all the parents and teachers get sick? Multiple countries reopened schools once they got the outbreak under control.
There are no "out of control outbreaks." That's media/DNC panic pushing, which you've been engaged in for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies