Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 08:35 AM

473 posts, read 236,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Completely failed leadership from the Trump administration. CRIMINAL.
I think you are expressing your political bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
The U.S. didn't have the worse response, as that distinction most definitely goes to Brazil. The problem with the US was the lack of preparation, organization, coordination, communication, and perhaps the obtuseness of some of its citizens. I do think the U.S. did a relatively good job in playing catch-up in marshaling resources. Positive tests are spiking in many European countries that had more stringent "stay-at-home" measures than the US, while positive tests and deaths are at a low in Sweden, which decided to play the long game (calmly) and never went into any kind of lock-down (although they did drop the ball when it came to testing and infection controls at nursing/care homes and I think their chief epidemiologist admitted it).

In hindsight, the best response was to be prepared and organized from the get go like S. Korea to identify and isolate cases early on. Talk about a bunch of pros. Who would of thought that a virus with a .5%-1% death rate, killing mostly people who are out of the work-force and could be more easily isolated from the general populace, would throw the world economy and perhaps life and society as we knew it (for the next 1-2 years) into a dumpster-fire. I hope the next time that one of these "moderate" bugs hit, the initial response is organized and relatively massive so we don't have to go through this again. I think one of the reasons that life more or less got back to normal relatively quickly in Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan is that they've had experience with dealing with these types of bugs before. The U.S.'s pandemic playbook should be getting a really hard look when it comes to the design and implementation of pandemic response controls.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 08-01-2020 at 09:17 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 10:45 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Then this country either needs to shut down 100 percent and for REAL this time OR everyone needs to SHUT THE HELL UP because we are all sick of hearing about this crap!! Either shut down for real for once or just open everythiong up as this doing in the middle crap is going to keep this going on forever!

Old 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Here is what is waiting for us after opening the schools. And note, Israel is not comprised of idiot MAGAs. They had achieved good suppression before they reopened and they could not contain the spread.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status...30375667036160

With this country teeming with Covidiots we don't stand a chance.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
BS Texas didn't have 200 die of covid 19. Not enough autopsies were performed and there is a difference between dying OF covid 19 and dying WITH covid 19.
Semantics.
Either way you are still dead even if Covid 19 only “hastened” it along.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:19 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Chit Chat View Post
Yes, we opened up the streets to protests too soon and now we have what we have. Turns out protestors can get and pass around the virus. Who would have thought?
Please provide verifiable proof of this.
Seems like I saw more masks at protests than at rallies, beaches or bars.
Who would have thought?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:20 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Shores View Post
Thank you for the kudos, but I have never seen any persons not wearing the masks and not social distancing in stores, like Walmart, home depot, dollar stores, publix, Navarro, gas stations, restaurants and other businesses. As you say, our dollar general stores require the masks, and so do all other businesses. If there are persons not wearing the masks in stores, I think the number of persons is very small.
You're right, most people are abiding by the rules especially in enclosed places like stores. I know all of our stores require them or you can't go into them. So the claim that we aren't as much as we should be is just liberal talking points while they ignore their own rioting and looting in large groups unprotected.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
BS Texas didn't have 200 die of covid 19. Not enough autopsies were performed and there is a difference between dying OF covid 19 and dying WITH covid 19.
Exactly add to that that in many states there are no autopsies performed and doctors, physician assistants, nurses and even a dentist can issue death certificates. I've read stories of someone killed in a motorcycle accident where they wrapped the bike around the tree was counted as a Covid death because he tested positive at the autopsy. We have more people walking around that actually had Covid than the numbers given as most people did not get tested thinking it was a cold. The death counts are wrong as many are issued as "probable" when it could have been something else that caused their death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies