Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 02:35 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times

Advertisements

I don't make it a habit to discuss my gender or race but because everyone is so sensitive now-a-days, I think it important to let folks reading this know that I am a black/male!

The headline doesn't bother me, I guess because I grew up during the era where the description was commonly used .. even among us!

While the left is attacking President Trump on talks of sending federal troops to out of control cities ..

Missing from their outrage is an inconvenient history!

The deployment of regular army troops to Chicago, (and others) to control civil disorder by Democrat President Johnson!

Guard Sent into Chicago, Detroit, Boston

April 6, 1968

By BEN A. FRANKLIN

Special to The New York Times

Quote:
WASHINGTON, April 5 -- President Johnson ordered 4,000 regular Army and National Guard troops into the nation's capital tonight to try to end riotous looting, burglarizing and burning by roving bands of Negro youths.

The arson and looting began yesterday after the murder of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Memphis.

The White House announced at 5 P.M. that because the President had determined that ``a condition of domestic violence and disorder'' existed, he had issued a proclamation and an Executive order mobilizing combat-equipped troops in Washington. Some of the troops were sent to guard the Capital and the White House.

Reinforcements numbering 2,500 riot-trained soldiers - a brigade of the 82d Airborne Division from Ft. Bragg, N.C. _ were airlifted to nearby Andrews Air Force Base, to be held in reserve this weekend.

It was the first time regular Army troops had been ordered into Washington for a civil disturbance since 1932, when cavalry under the late Gen. Douglas MacArthur drove hundreds of protesting bonus marchers from a squatters' encampment on the Anacostia River.
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...68race-ra.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 04:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times

Protesters face off with armed National Guardsmen during the Democratic National Convention

Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
i've made the same case when leftists screech about 'trump's stormtroopers' in portland.

they ignored it, just like they ignored this thread.

seems odd

Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times
2005 - Feds sent active duty US Army 82nd Airborne Division to New Orleans for civil unrest after Hurricane Katrina = Libs be like

1992 - Feds sent National Guard and active duty US Marines from Camp Pendleton to Los Angles for Rodney King riot = Libs be like

2020 - Feds sent federal law enforcement officers/agents to Portland for civil unrest after almost 2 months = Libs be like

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I don't make it a habit to discuss my gender or race but because everyone is so sensitive now-a-days, I think it important to let folks reading this know that I am a black/male!

The headline doesn't bother me, I guess because I grew up during the era where the description was commonly used .. even among us!

While the left is attacking President Trump on talks of sending federal troops to out of control cities ..

The deployment of regular army troops to Chicago, (and others) to control civil disorder by Democrat President Johnson!
I think every president has sent troops to various trouble spots in the USA. The only difference today is that many people have Trump Hate Syndrome so they hate everything he does.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
And you can fully anticipate the response from everyone on this forum who buys into the "storm trooper" nonsense. Crickets.

Sending in the troops is standard operating procedure when you have riots and chaos that drag on for weeks and weeks. The puzzling thing is that the Left seems to think this is something new.

OP claymore, I can't rep you again yet.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:49 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
OP claymore, I can't rep you again yet.
Taken care of.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:58 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
To be clear, your argument in favor of the federal government taking authoritarian action today is that a democrat did it over 50 years ago? Believe it or not, not every issue is "republican vs democrat". I would oppose the authoritarian nature of sending federal troops against US citizens, regardless of the party affiliation of the president.

This is a great thread though, as it calls a major flaw in thinking. Too many people today don't think for themselves, but rather just blindly oppose the other party. Those people become very easy for politicians to control. Any person who defends 100% of what either party has done in the US is someone who is extremely uneducated.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:02 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Guard Sent into Chicago, Detroit, Boston

April 6, 1968

By BEN A. FRANKLIN

Special to The New York Times

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...68race-ra.html
TY Clay for your post and your perspective!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:04 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
To be clear, your argument in favor of the federal government taking authoritarian action today is that a democrat did it over 50 years ago? Believe it or not, not every issue is "republican vs democrat". I would oppose the authoritarian nature of sending federal troops against US citizens, regardless of the party affiliation of the president.

This is a great thread though, as it calls a major flaw in thinking. Too many people today don't think for themselves, but rather just blindly oppose the other party. Those people become very easy for politicians to control. Any person who defends 100% of what either party has done in the US is someone who is extremely uneducated.
is Portland another country or something?

If feds don't send federal LAW ENFORCEMENT to Portland, then where should they go? Maybe other cities in other countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies