Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Chicago has a population of about 3 million.

It has been estimated 30,000 engaged in protests after George Floyd’s death.

While some who engaged in violence were mixed in the protesting crowds, most property damage and looting was independent of the protests.

Chicago was one of 12 cities to impose a curfew. The Governor sent in the National Guard.

CPD arrested more than 3000 over that weekend.

The absolute number of shootings in the city predate George Floyd by decades. Most of it is gang related. 80% of shootings occur on 8% of the city’s blocks

The Federal agents have arrived and are working with state and local police and focused on taking guns off the streets. Local media reporting this operation has thus far made 3 arrests of convicted felons who possessed firearms. Search warrants were used. To put this into perspective, CPD took more than No 10,000 guns off the streets in 2019. As of 6/30 this year, CPD had taken 8000 guns off the streets.

The mayor rejects the demands to defund the police. This mayor is a former federal prosecutor and was previously in charge of the Police Disciplinary Board that recommended action for police misconduct. She has a history of calling out the FOP for their Code of Silence, which is similar to the code used by gang to cover their butts.

Hundreds, mostly young white adults, showed up to protest at the mayor’s home with a focus on removing police from schools. It did not turn violent.

Yesterday there were 2 primary peaceful marches. One advocated for the police while the other demanded defunding.

Whether one agrees or not, these people are exercising their right to peaceably assemble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
You can thank lame WEAK Democratic Leaders for the destruction of these cities. It will end in November, because these same weak fools want to blame all this on Trump. Soros keeps them all well funded so they can destroy the cities, just what he wants.

VOTE RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2020, 06:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago has a population of about 3 million.

It has been estimated 30,000 engaged in protests after George Floyd’s death.

While some who engaged in violence were mixed in the protesting crowds, most property damage and looting was independent of the protests.

Chicago was one of 12 cities to impose a curfew. The Governor sent in the National Guard.

CPD arrested more than 3000 over that weekend.

The absolute number of shootings in the city predate George Floyd by decades. Most of it is gang related. 80% of shootings occur on 8% of the city’s blocks

The Federal agents have arrived and are working with state and local police and focused on taking guns off the streets. Local media reporting this operation has thus far made 3 arrests of convicted felons who possessed firearms. Search warrants were used. To put this into perspective, CPD took more than No 10,000 guns off the streets in 2019. As of 6/30 this year, CPD had taken 8000 guns off the streets.

The mayor rejects the demands to defund the police. This mayor is a former federal prosecutor and was previously in charge of the Police Disciplinary Board that recommended action for police misconduct. She has a history of calling out the FOP for their Code of Silence, which is similar to the code used by gang to cover their butts.

Hundreds, mostly young white adults, showed up to protest at the mayor’s home with a focus on removing police from schools. It did not turn violent.

Yesterday there were 2 primary peaceful marches. One advocated for the police while the other demanded defunding.

Whether one agrees or not, these people are exercising their right to peaceably assemble.
I’m not sure what your point is? Are you saying that most on the streets are peaceful protesters? If so, that is BS. The minority of people on the street in these riots are peaceful protesters. I bet these cities will see a huge reduction in the amount of tourist dollars. I like visiting big cities, but I now have zero desire to visit any of these cities. I’ll spend my hard earned money in London or one of the other European cities.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I will repeat -- not sure the 'trouble makers' right now are all associated with the Democrats. Yes they lean left but not sure they are a driving force in any political initiative.

Like the Proud Boys, KKK, other white supremacist groups that are known to lean right ---- the fringe groups on the left represent a small portion.

I do not think any of my Republican friends support a group like the Proud Boys and I'm not sure why you conservatives here seem to think that Democrats would support the more militant on the left

It's a game people play.....

It's silly.

Because right now the country is pretty split with left/right ideology. There are moderates in between that can go either way depending on issues. Those moderates are moderates because they don't play the political games, haven't pledged allegiance and don't usually fall prey to the silly games on either side.

Right now, leadership can take an easy position of denouncing violence, vandalism and recognizing that as a society we have work to do. Leadership doesn't need to demonize all left or all right.......they can address the extremists and their behavior while trying to 'come together'.
you are correct in this instance. Unfortunately, while Republicans denounce White Supremacists and have agreed that police reform is needed, the Dems are all lined up with the rioters and against the Feds because they believe they can pin it on Trump.

Now, Trump should cease the rhetoric that equates Dem municipal leadership with the problem for now. Get the immediate problem stopped. Theen frankly he's got a resonating point that a)"See what happens when Dem municipal leadership allows this to fester?" and b) "Why would Pelosi etal side with the rioters?"

Old 07-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
For God's sake, when will Democrats stop the madness? Rioting;attacking cops;"Defund police";using rocks,clubs,LASERS??? .... I dunno ... have the cops stopped their abuses yet?
you should read this...

https://www.opb.org/news/article/jud...w-enforcement/
Quote:
"In the first place, although it involves allegations of harm done to protesters by law enforcement, no protester is a plaintiff here,”
Quote:
It has presented no evidence of any official orders or policies and has presented no evidence that these allegedly illegal seizures are a widespread practice. Despite the broad language in the complaint, Oregon has shown — at most — that this type of seizure has happened twice.”

In addition to Pettibone, a video posted to social media also on July 15 shows federal officers dressed like soldiers approaching a person and guiding them into an unmarked van in downtown Portland.
there's literally tens if not hundreds of people videoing every single night. Where is the evidence?

If the "Navy Vet" was a relevant example, why didn't they use that? Apparently, he was breaking the law and failing to disperse, and received legal proportionate treatment.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I’m not sure what your point is? Are you saying that most on the streets are peaceful protesters? If so, that is BS. The minority of people on the street in these riots are peaceful protesters. I bet these cities will see a huge reduction in the amount of tourist dollars. I like visiting big cities, but I now have zero desire to visit any of these cities. I’ll spend my hard earned money in London or one of the other European cities.
no.

when you see the park across from the Portland Federal building packed with 3K-5K folks singing and using their iphone "candles", even holding up signs that might say "F--- Trump" at 9 or 10 pm - that's peaceful protesting.

When midnight rolls around and 300 of them cross the street to throw objects, shoot fireworks, start fires, shake and breach the fence, vandalize the building, rip off protection to break windows and throw incendiaries inside, and ignore multiple orders to disperse - that's illegal rioting.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:47 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no.

when you see the park across from the Portland Federal building packed with 3K-5K folks singing and using their iphone "candles", even holding up signs that might say "F--- Trump" at 9 or 10 pm - that's peaceful protesting.

When midnight rolls around and 300 of them cross the street to throw objects, shoot fireworks, start fires, shake and breach the fence, vandalize the building, rip off protection to break windows and throw incendiaries inside, and ignore multiple orders to disperse - that's illegal rioting.
I agree.

the whole point of protest is to have your voice heard and show your grievances to the public. there is no point protest at night because most of the public is already home.....unless you plan to do more than just "protesting". You know, it's way easier to break into stores to steal when all the employees are home.

peaceful protesters go protest during the day. people who up to no good "protest" at night and use darkness to cover their criminal acts. that's why many cities in the US implemented night curfew during the early days of GeorgeFloyd protest, including where I live in Los Angeles.

Notice that all the violent protests occurring at night time in Portland?
1 + 1 = 2

Old 07-26-2020, 08:18 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG9H...ture=emb_title

Old 07-26-2020, 08:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
And then there are those who are not manipulated by lawlessness, but embrace it. Do you fall into that camp?
Those who openly embrace lawlessness have been loudly supporting tRump during his entire term.

It ends in a few short months.

January 20th at the latest.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post

There were protests in every city in the US as well as all over the world.

I am talking about Chicago. I am about 50 miles NW of the center of the city.

Most of the protesters in this city were/ are peaceful, albeit, noisy.

I forgot to add the city also shut down public transportation into the city center, as well as Metra and raised to bridges to th downtown area and did so because people were coming to the downtown area for the sole purpose of looting. Some of this was organized crime. Opportunity, not outrage with police brutality, was the motive.

Tourism all over the world has sharply declined due to Covid. Trade shows are the bread and butter of tourism in Chicago. 55 million overnight visitors last year. Trade shows all over the US were cancelled by the organizers due to Covid.

There are millions of US people who will not visit Europe because of fear of terrorism. Then again, not clear how many of these folk have ever left the US.

I am the very last person who would engage in a street protest. I do however have an appreciation it was protests that have brought about social change all over the world.

Can’t imagine living in a country that does not grant the right to peaceably protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies