Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 06:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I suspect you're arguing with a kid who still lives off his parents. Talk about the relationship between what you earn and your standard of living just doesn't compute.
So true. We had a developer building apartments, and of course meeting the county requirement to have 15% of them “set aside” for lower income. He wanted to put standard appliances and finishes in the below-market units, and granite and stainless in the market units. The progressives had a fit, insisting, with that sanctimonious attitude we have all come to know and love, “poor people deserve granite just as much as affluent people!”

My question is: if taxpayers give poor people the same standard of living as those who earn it, where’s the incentive to do better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 06:15 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,991 times
Quote:
I suspect you're arguing with a kid who still lives off his parents. Talk about the relationship between what you earn and your standard of living just doesn't compute.

You nailed it. I am a 20 year old kid living in an upper middle class suburb with my parents. I'm as woke as they come. Thankfully I am white and male, and I have a little more than $4 million in a trust fund set up by my great grandfather that pays out when I am 25, so I am not too worried about having to work hard.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Broadly speaking, I suspect that if we knew who we were talking to here, we'd feel mighty silly for wasting our time in the vast majority of cases.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:26 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
You nailed it. I am a 20 year old kid living in an upper middle class suburb with my parents. I'm as woke as they come. Thankfully I am white and male, and I have a little more than $4 million in a trust fund set up by my great grandfather that pays out when I am 25, so I am not too worried about having to work hard.

I hope you possess enough "White Guilt" to donate your entire trust fund to those in need.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:29 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Four Million isn't that much. You'll need to get a job unless you invest it very, very wisely. Also, being productive is a reward in itself, so you may want to think about your life choices.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:38 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Kids been doing it in little league/ pop Warner ,,, move over ~~the youth is coming with a very different agenda...

Old 07-25-2020, 07:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"As far as anyone who is a baseball fan who may not agree with what they did, does it bother them that much that they would just stop supporting the sports and the league?"

Many did it with the NFL and many will do it with the MLB.
What they did here is not even close to the same thing. The NFL has become a proactively anti-American organization that enables and promotes aggressively offensive anti-American activities at the start of their games. The do this by intentionally disrespecting our flag and our national anthem, live on worldwide television. For this, they should have their citizenships to this country revoked, at a minimum, and if all was right in the world, much worse.

MLB baseball has allowed a brief ceremony before both the game and the national anthem that honors Black Lives Matter. I am not a supporter of that movement in what it has become, although I do believe that black lives matter, and in fact all lives matter.

However, it has been the case for my entire life that MLB has trotted out different groups before the game to recognize and to welcome, many of which I am and many others scratched our heads and wondered: 'Who are these people and what does this have to do with baseball?" The thing is, this practice has just been a long running and never ending series of P.R. stunts by MLB. The range of groups and individuals that have been included in this practice is so long and so diverse it would be hard to exaggerate. No, everyone does not agree with every group. But MLB has not disrespected our nation, our flag or our national anthem, at least not yet.

We need to pay attention to how MLB has handled this. This is the difference that we should be looking for. MLB has actually handled this remarkably well.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What they did here is not even close to the same thing. The NFL has become a proactively anti-American organization that enables and promotes aggressively offensive anti-American activities at the start of their games. The do this by intentionally disrespecting our flag and our national anthem, live on worldwide television. For this, they should have their citizenships to this country revoked, at a minimum, and if all was right in the world, much worse.

MLB baseball has allowed a brief ceremony before both the game and the national anthem that honors Black Lives Matter. I am not a supporter of that movement in what it has become, although I do believe that black lives matter, and in fact all lives matter.

However, it has been the case for my entire life that MLB has trotted out different groups before the game to recognize and to welcome, many of which I am and many others scratched our heads and wondered: 'Who are these people and what does this have to do with baseball?" The thing is, this practice has just been a long running and never ending series of P.R. stunts by MLB. The range of groups and individuals that have been included in this practice is so long and so diverse it would be hard to exaggerate. No, everyone does not agree with every group. But MLB has not disrespected our nation, our flag or our national anthem, at least not yet.

We need to pay attention to how MLB has handled this. This is the difference that we should be looking for. MLB has actually handled this remarkably well.
It's still forcing politics into sports/entertainment. Also they've got BLM signs all over the place and were wearing BLM shirts for warm ups. NO thanks!

Old 07-25-2020, 08:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's still forcing politics into sports/entertainment. Also they've got BLM signs all over the place and were wearing BLM shirts for warm ups. NO thanks!
No thanks, indeed. The spin you're responding to is the stuff of nausea.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
ONE player (a pitcher) did not kneel.. He said that he only kneels to Jesus Christ and he could not kneel for BLM who has a couple things he does not get on board with. Good for him! That took courage. I hope he doesn't cave one day if they put pressure on him to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies