Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 02:18 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,679,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This says a president or a governor can declare martial law, and it would appear to be appropriate or at least acceptable in this incident.

But he's not doing it. This is just dragging out.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publicatio...aspx?ID=120638
"I'm so anti-Trump I'll insist Trump declare himself a dictator!"

Do you even understand what martial law is? It's the suspension of civil law and supplanting it with MILITARY AUTHORITY -- as in, a LITERAL dictatorship, not the fake "dictatorship" the rioters are whining about because the feds are interfering with their First Amendment right to burn down a federal building while people are inside it.

I just want you to be absolutely clear about you're advocating here: an absolute military dictatorship under the direct authority of Donald Trump. Are you sure that's what you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 02:30 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Sir, are you resisting arrest? STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING! Okay boys, he’s under arrest for resisting arrest.

If a riot is declared and a lawful order to disperse is given, you are breaking the law if you don't disperse.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:30 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If a riot is declared and a lawful order to disperse is given, you are breaking the law if you don't disperse.
What if there's not a riot and people are peacefully protesting like they were in DC?

Old 07-24-2020, 02:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"I'm so anti-Trump I'll insist Trump declare himself a dictator!"

Do you even understand what martial law is? It's the suspension of civil law and supplanting it with MILITARY AUTHORITY -- as in, a LITERAL dictatorship, not the fake "dictatorship" the rioters are whining about because the feds are interfering with their First Amendment right to burn down a federal building while people are inside it.

I just want you to be absolutely clear about you're advocating here: an absolute military dictatorship under the direct authority of Donald Trump. Are you sure that's what you want?
What I'm advocating here, is he do what he's pretending to do.

He's pretending to send in the Feds to quash the protests, but he's not doing it. He's only creating unending conflict.

Either call a curfew and end the protests, or pull the Feds back out of there and let Portland police itself.

This middle ground of constant struggling for no purpose just reminds me of Viet Nam.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
Trump is exhibiting dictator behavior. Absolutely sick.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:46 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Thank you. I'm tired of these men and women being slandered like this. People can disagree all they want about whether they should be there. I think they should be there because federal property is under attack, and we might be experiencing domestic terrorism. I've been wondering where DHS was for weeks now. But I'll listen to the opposing side. But 'stormtrooper' 'goon squad' 'secret police' "Fuhrer" That's unwarranted.
No, it's just that private security that Eric Prince has been trying to sell since POTUS Trump was elected.

His first try was to privatize the military in Afghanistan. They didn't let him attend the big meeting at Camp David.

Looks like DHS finally bought it.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:55 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Trump is exhibiting dictator behavior. Absolutely sick.

In what way?

Be specific with actual facts instead of rhetoric and hyperbole.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:00 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Do you even understand what martial law is? It's the suspension of civil law and supplanting it with MILITARY AUTHORITY -- as in, a LITERAL dictatorship,
No they are not the same thing. One is not reversible and has no built in mechanism to end.

Hence why they use the term martial law instead of calling it a dictatorship.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
This is news?
A 9th Circuit Court, the MOST overturned in the county, appointed by obama makes a ruling AGAINST a repub. It WILL be overturned just like all the other rulings from his "court' have been.

"a small crew surrounded by riot-geared storm troopers"

"the Trumpenfuhrer's stormtroopers". Typical ignorant comment. Wild a.s accusations based ONLY on TDS.

"storm troop·er
/ˈstôrm ˌtro͞opər/

noun
noun: stormtrooper

a soldier trained specially for carrying out a sudden assault.

historical a member of the Nazi political militia."

NONE of these agents of the fed gov't are soldiers.

You must write for on of the LSM media outlets or are looking to!
Your reflexively defensive response is wildly unfortunate. Michael Simon is a US district court judge, whose chambers are located in the federal courthouse under discussion. He is not an appellate judge of the 9th Circuit. There seems to be a dire need for improved civics education in our school curriculum.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:01 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Oh . . . . . . maybe the US Constitution.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Amazing how many posters don't know the US Constitution. Nor care to read it. Or they are posters from foreign countries.
bolded and underlined the most important word in that paragraph for u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies