Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 10:39 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

Though I see based on many stats it doesn't appear that allowing businesses and other entities to reopen in May, nor the reopen protests/May Day, Cinco(aka Drinko) De Mayo celebrations, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, or the massive BLM protests/riots late May/June, nor the one of the many Graduation Ceremonies had much effect on the downward trend in May early June. Though it appears ever since the message that surface transmission is a none issue or that there are no known cases due to surface transmission, cases started to skyrocket ever since. It tend also to coincidentally follow the relaxing or lifting of bans on reusable bags in stores by state and local health officials late June/early July as well as by individual corporate chain stores/grocery markets.

While its true that increased availability to testing and contact tracing may also had lead to more discovered cases this summer. I am assuming people since let their guards down about washing their hands and sanitizing anything they bring home from the outside or grocery stores compared to before ever since they got that message which may turn out to be a big mistake. As surface transmission is very well known for spreading even the common cold or flu or other diseases that we have lived with well before COVID19 became a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 04:54 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
Since Herr Trump moved the reporting responsibilities from the CDC to HHS, the counts have gone down !

Hurray ?

Here's a Brit who has an unbiased view on this travesty --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxhZ2Z-Y4ls

Old 07-24-2020, 05:04 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I've noticed less people wearing gloves, so they may not be hand washing as much. Hard to say really. I've wondered about it, more masks, less gloves and now more cases. Maybe it was just the sunbelt's time. People are making a mistake if they aren't washing their hands.

Old 07-24-2020, 05:15 PM

15,838 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Correlation does not imply causation.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:19 PM

Interesting I read the other thread title "De. Anthony Fauci: Coronavirus will never be eradicated" And mentioned how Dr. Fauci initially said that we don't need to wear a mask, how the virus is not passed thru the air, and then it was passed thru the air, and then it was passed by surface contact, and then it wasn't(thus sanitizing of both hands and items are relaxed by businesses and the general populace, reusable bags, which was frowned upon or banned since March are once again allowed in stores and local bans on free bags and fees on carryout bags are enforced again by grocers after being suspended for three months either by government order or store policy), and then suddenly wearing masks is good again, and varying stance on lockdowns. Trump was saying all those things as Fauci was saying them. Lots of confusion Dr. Fauci gave that led to kneejerk*reactions from state*and local officials.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:52 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
It’s what happens when you have **** for leadership. Every state is doing their own thing. I’m sure mine will get it and we’ve been good, but driving down the highway today it was mostly out of state plates.

Almost 80,000 new cases yesterday and over 1100 dead.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting I read the other thread title "De. Anthony Fauci: Coronavirus will never be eradicated" And mentioned how Dr. Fauci initially said that we don't need to wear a mask, how the virus is not passed thru the air, and then it was passed thru the air, and then it was passed by surface contact, and then it wasn't(thus sanitizing of both hands and items are relaxed by businesses and the general populace, reusable bags, which was frowned upon or banned since March are once again allowed in stores and local bans on free bags and fees on carryout bags are enforced again by grocers after being suspended for three months either by government order or store policy), and then suddenly wearing masks is good again, and varying stance on lockdowns. Trump was saying all those things as Fauci was saying them. Lots of confusion Dr. Fauci gave that led to kneejerk*reactions from state*and local officials.

Wow...totally unknown virus, and Fauici said....Dont need to wear a mask, but then you leave out the critical part of it which was that we needed to conserve those for medical professionals who were most at risk.

The air transmission was not thought to be occurring in the early days. Fauici communicated the best known information at the time.

etc etc etc. Fauci provided the best information he had at the time for a brand new pandemic. Thats his job.

It reminds me how one time me and my father worked together in a R&D lab doing DARPA work. Things never done by anyone else the way we were doing. And we were talking about trying to figure out how to do some of it when my step mom got angry at us and telling us how wrong we were to be paid so much when we didnt know what we were doing. Apparently R&D is done only if you know how to do all of it already? This nonsense reminds me of that nonsense.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:01 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though I see based on many stats it doesn't appear that allowing businesses and other entities to reopen in May, nor the reopen protests/May Day, Cinco(aka Drinko) De Mayo celebrations, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, or the massive BLM protests/riots late May/June, nor the one of the many Graduation Ceremonies had much effect on the downward trend in May early June. Though it appears ever since the message that surface transmission is a none issue or that there are no known cases due to surface transmission, cases started to skyrocket ever since. It tend also to coincidentally follow the relaxing or lifting of bans on reusable bags in stores by state and local health officials late June/early July as well as by individual corporate chain stores/grocery markets.

While its true that increased availability to testing and contact tracing may also had lead to more discovered cases this summer. I am assuming people since let their guards down about washing their hands and sanitizing anything they bring home from the outside or grocery stores compared to before ever since they got that message which may turn out to be a big mistake. As surface transmission is very well known for spreading even the common cold or flu or other diseases that we have lived with well before COVID19 became a thing.
I concur. I found the anouncement about surface transmission highly suspect.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow...totally unknown virus, and Fauici said....Dont need to wear a mask, but then you leave out the critical part of it which was that we needed to conserve those for medical professionals who were most at risk.

The air transmission was not thought to be occurring in the early days. Fauici communicated the best known information at the time.

etc etc etc. Fauci provided the best information he had at the time for a brand new pandemic. Thats his job.

It reminds me how one time me and my father worked together in a R&D lab doing DARPA work. Things never done by anyone else the way we were doing. And we were talking about trying to figure out how to do some of it when my step mom got angry at us and telling us how wrong we were to be paid so much when we didnt know what we were doing. Apparently R&D is done only if you know how to do all of it already? This nonsense reminds me of that nonsense.
If Dr. Fauci, CDC, or WHO really intend to save masks for the doctors and they are really unsure whether masks would benefit the general population. They should say it’s too soon to know if masks do prevent transmission thus we need more time to study the issue, though due to the current high demand by the medical sector we should save the n95 masks that is currently back ordered for the doctors who’s lives and their patients life’s depend on and if you decide to mask up it’s recommended to use clothe made masks instead. Clothe made masks have no shortage and wouldn’t affect the supply used by doctors. There was no need to lie or cover the truth by telling people masks arnt necessary except for sick people. There were many people who already bought masks including cloth ones but were discouraged from wearing them after hearing the message from the three sources I listed above. He explicitly said "Right now, people should not be walking, there’s no reason to be walking around with a mask." He said masks do not provide the "perfect protection" against contracting the virus that people think. That statement is the most misleading. And that doctors wear masks because existing medical policies require them to not necessary to protect themselves from COVID19. He might as well say to everyone not to lockdown unless sick.

I remember from January to April even at medical offices the only people who wore masks were doctors or the main nurse practitioner. The front desk staff, the technicians, and physicians assistants didn’t wear masks at all.

Though I suspect surface contact is still a strong source of spread thus making people let thier guards down. And that permitting reusable bags again and punishing those who use a courtesy clerks bagging service is also a grave mistake.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-24-2020 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Since Herr Trump moved the reporting responsibilities from the CDC to HHS, the counts have gone down !

Hurray ?

Here's a Brit who has an unbiased view on this travesty --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxhZ2Z-Y4ls

Even more sinister than that, Trump is somehow hiding the number of Covid-19 deaths to create the false impression that the number of Covid-19 cases isn't really increasing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Meanwhile, back in the world of sane people, more testing leads to more positive cases, even if the per-capita rate is down.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-24-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies