Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Nothing wrong with being a stay at home mom, obviously you are more than that and made your choices - But then how do you accept the potus sending fear your way ? You are more intelligent than that, from what your post says, yet approve of that ? I’m a female grandma so don’t call me names.
Trump didn’t “send fear my way.”

The looting, rioting, braying mobs did that all on their own.

Also I didn’t call you any names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 11:50 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
The only time I've heard the word "housewife" in the last 30 or so years is from the TV franchise.

The women I know who don't work outside the home refer to themselves as stay at home moms. I don't know any childless women who don't work unless they're retired.
That is the point. Trump labeled every suburban woman as a Housewife, regardless if they are married, or if they work, or if they are a student.

For example,
  • 22 year old female college student getting ready to graduate
  • 32 year old single mom of 1, working a full-time job
  • 50 year old widow that works 2 part-time jobs and cares for her elderly father
  • retired female policewoman that now volunteers during her retirement years
  • young female nurse that moved to a new suburb and just bought her first home and is caring for Covid patients at the local hospital.
  • married woman with 2 children in high school and both her and her husband have long professional careers.
  • unmarried single professional woman that lives in a townhouse and is dating but not in a relationship. She's into fitness and runs marathons.
  • married woman that never had children and she's a software developer techie and her husband is a financial manager and they have a big suburban home and are active in their community.
All of the above are examples of suburban women that aren't typically called a "housewife". Trump just called all of them "housewives". He thinks nothing more of them, since they are female. That tells us what Trump thinks about women. In his eyes, all suburban women are "housewives".

Trump is stuck in the 1950s.

Last edited by Variable; 07-24-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2020, 11:56 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I am a highly educated white woman who is also a “housewife”. The more popular term now is “stay at home mom” but I have seen “housewife” written on legal papers even recently, such as when we bought our house this month.

There are plenty of us out here, and yes I am a Trump supporter and no I will not vote for Biden or any Dem under any circumstances.

Of course according to all the polls I am a myth, but I can assure all you doubters that I am real and I know lots more just like me.
I'm a former legal secretary, and in personal documents I prepared for my employers and their wives (who didn't work), the wives were referred to as "homemakers".

I'm also business school graduate (60 years old), now cruising through the last of my working years as a school cafeteria cook (aka "lunch lady"). I don't work full time, and don't want to. During the summers off when school is closed, I don't work at all...you could call me a part time suburban (closer to "rural", actually) housewife and part time stay at home grandmother. In two years, I plan on retiring and being a full time housewife and stay at home grandmother.

As Trump supporter who won't vote for Biden and his minority-with-a-vagina VP, I guess that makes me a "myth" as well.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:56 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I read a similar article today in WaPo, from Jennifer Rubin, a Republican, who has been very outspoken against Trump the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

Quote:
Apparently neither he nor anyone on his campaign knows much about suburban women. Let me help:

“Housewife” may have been a popular term in the 1950s (which, it seems, is approximately when Trump imagines America was at its greatest — pre-civil rights, pre-women’s rights, pre-globalization) — but, for decades, it has been a condescending term that denigrates women who choose not to leave the house for work. (I’m old enough to remember when Republicans used to claim Democrats did not respect women who did not work outside the home.)

Trump’s screeching tone comically attempts to scare women, imagining they are easily frightened and susceptible to crude political manipulation and racist dog whistles (“destroy neighborhoods” is code for bringing the “wrong people” into the neighborhood).

Nothing in Trump’s appeal remotely addresses what does alarm women: the unchecked spread of coronavirus; an economic collapse; Trump bullying them to send kids back to school during a pandemic; Trump-directed clashes between police and demonstrators; and Trump’s constant attempts to inflame racial animosity. It is not former vice president Joe Biden who inspires fear and dread; it is Trump who raises their blood pressure and creates havoc in their lives.

Trump’s promise to make things better raises an awkward problem for his reelection effort: Aren’t things much worse than when he took over? He is pitching to women whose children’s education has been disrupted, whose family finances are less secure, and who fear for their health and for the health of their families.

His tweet, reminiscent of his “I alone can fix it” line from 2016 reminds many women of his know-it-all attitude and exaggerated sense to worth and accomplishment. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) recently said that Trump is like the guy who will not ask for directions. Now, we see Trump as the guy who passes a cognitive assessment test and thinks he is a genius. He is a caricature of male ego and bluster many women have confronted their entire lives.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are calling me a Karen?
I don't understand why you are so upset. Only you can decide if the shoe fits.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don't understand why you are so upset. Only you can decide if the shoe fits.
Oh please. We all know what you meant.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I read a similar article today in WaPo, from Jennifer Rubin, a Republican, who has been very outspoken against Trump the past few years.

From the opinion piece you cite:

Quote:
Nothing in Trump’s appeal remotely addresses what does alarm women: the unchecked spread of coronavirus; an economic collapse; Trump bullying them to send kids back to school during a pandemic; Trump-directed clashes between police and demonstrators; and Trump’s constant attempts to inflame racial animosity. It is not former vice president Joe Biden who inspires fear and dread; it is Trump who raises their blood pressure and creates havoc in their lives.

Trump’s promise to make things better raises an awkward problem for his reelection effort: Aren’t things much worse than when he took over? He is pitching to women whose children’s education has been disrupted, whose family finances are less secure, and who fear for their health and for the health of their families.
Our finances have greatly improved since 2016; I want my children to go back to school and they want to go back as well; I don’t know anyone who has COVID 19; the racial animosity is coming from a very specific group that is using racism as an excuse for political purposes; I don’t blame the president for the pandemic.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm a former legal secretary, and in personal documents I prepared for my employers and their wives (who didn't work), the wives were referred to as "homemakers".

I'm also business school graduate (60 years old), now cruising through the last of my working years as a school cafeteria cook (aka "lunch lady"). I don't work full time, and don't want to. During the summers off when school is closed, I don't work at all...you could call me a part time suburban (closer to "rural", actually) housewife and part time stay at home grandmother. In two years, I plan on retiring and being a full time housewife and stay at home grandmother.

As Trump supporter who won't vote for Biden and his minority-with-a-vagina VP, I guess that makes me a "myth" as well.
Lunch lady, are you married to your house?

Old 07-24-2020, 12:12 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

She doesn't speak for me about what alarms women. Up until these riots, I had a whole list of issues. After the riots--which are ongoing---I have only ONE issue: safety from mobs. I will NEVER forget early June for almost two weeks when the riots raged on in my area. The police were standing down because the mobs were too big. My governor wouldn't call in the Guard. I realized that NO ONE was there to protect me except for myself and my suburban neighborhood who would band together to protect one another. And now they want to defund police.

I'm not a Trump supporter and my vote doesn't matter anyway, as a NY-er, but I can't imagine I'm alone. Gun sales tell me I'm not. Personal safety from violence trumps all issues, even Covid, because people can still maintain some degree of personal control there. I'm not surprised that someone from the WaPo doesn't see this. They seem above it all.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:16 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
OMG now were suppose to be offended by the word housewife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies