Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 12:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't hate or envy CEOs.

And no one is putting a gun to anyone's head.

The US is by FAR the biggest customer the drug companies have.

Ask any salesman, they will tell you that the biggest customers get the best prices.

But for some reason, we're getting the shaft in order to subsidize them selling to the rest of the world for pennies.

You think we should pay more because supposedly we can afford to?

What does that sound like?
If you don’t put a gun on their head, how do you force them to sell you their products at a price you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 12:55 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Go back to post #6, the pharmaceutical companies lobby both repubs and dems, and just like a lot of wrongs that are not righted, the corrupt and greedy Democrats and Republican establishment types are paid to sit on their hands. This is why deficits continue, fraud, waste and abuse in government agencies continue, money is power.

But in spite of your observations that Trump is actually trying to implement much of what's in Cumming's bill, the Trump-haters still cling to the lie that Trump opposes this exact type of legislation.
Reading the HR3, it looks liek ti would have gone much farther and would have the weight of a law. If Trump likes it, why won't he work with Senate and get the bill passed?

Old 07-25-2020, 01:06 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How are they forced? Did the government or the big pharmaceutical companies put a gun on anybody’s head? Are anybody threatened to pay up or be killed?

Because competition that would keep costs down is artificially kept out of the market.

If, for example.... you're an insulin dependant diabetic, you literally have no choice but to buy from the only source available or drop dead.

And a captive customer can be made to pay whatever you want to charge, even for a simple drug like insulin that's been around for decades and the cost of which has been steadily rising instead of falling as it would in a normal competition based market.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:11 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
If you don’t put a gun on their head, how do you force them to sell you their products at a price you want?

Who's forcing them?

They can sell outside America all they want.

If you have a car that you're trying to sell for $35,000 and I tell you that I'm not going to pay that much, I'm not forcing you to sell me the car for less.

You can sell me the car for less or you can sell it to someone else and I'll get a car elsewhere

Only we've artificially created a market where there's no one else to buy cars from.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:33 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This is a good move for society no? Obama should have done it. GWB should have done it. Clinton should have done it. Ad Nauseum...
Yes, Obama should have done it. Change you can believe in my a... Turns out he was just as much part of the establishment as Bush or Clinton. Cheap labor, open borders, free trade, corporate stooge.

The fact is big pharma has been price gouging Americans for years now and charging people in other countries less for the same exact drug. This is because other countries like Canada or the Europeans don't allow corporations to rip off consumers for necessary life saving drugs.

I have asthma so I have been following this issue for years. One of my drugs used to be about $30 a month about 10 years ago and it ballooned to almost $300-400 a month. The insurance companies stopped covering it because it became too expensive but the Pharmaceutical Corp. knew asthmatics had no choice but to pay.

Last year the Trump administration finally got a generic version approved. Thank you Mr. Trump.

Last edited by LINative; 07-25-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Because competition that would keep costs down is artificially kept out of the market.

If, for example.... you're an insulin dependant diabetic, you literally have no choice but to buy from the only source available or drop dead.

And a captive customer can be made to pay whatever you want to charge, even for a simple drug like insulin that's been around for decades and the cost of which has been steadily rising instead of falling as it would in a normal competition based market.

Allow the competition then.

What’s the matter with you? Two wrongs don’t make it right! You don’t fight against slavery by enslaving more people.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Who's forcing them?

They can sell outside America all they want.

If you have a car that you're trying to sell for $35,000 and I tell you that I'm not going to pay that much, I'm not forcing you to sell me the car for less.

You can sell me the car for less or you can sell it to someone else and I'll get a car elsewhere

Only we've artificially created a market where there's no one else to buy cars from.
Aren’t you forcing them to only sell outside of America?

Old 07-25-2020, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 42,477 times
[b][i][color="Red"]Bring back term limits in Congress. If it's good enough for a President,then it's good enough for these crooks..

Old 07-25-2020, 08:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A few of us understand how markets work and the unintended/intended consequences of price controls, regulations, state meddling...
ever been involved in a country wide "black market"?

Old 07-25-2020, 08:26 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Steve Jobs went to work at 7:00 AM and came home at midnight. 7 days a week and 365 days a year.

I’d would love to see you do that for a week.
I have. you ever work for a railroad? I'm talking backbreaking physical labor. Not sitting in a cushy leather chair barking orders and talking on my cell phone..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies