Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:02 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
If Trump can focus more on things like this and COVID instead of putting himself in cultural conflicts, throwing tantrums on Twitter, and appealing only to his 30-35% hardcore base we would all be much better off.
If, if, if is all we have heard for over 3 years!

"instead of putting himself in cultural conflict" But you didn't complain wen obama did it, like the "bear summit", "if my son looked like " and on and on and on.

I smell a HEAP of hypocrisy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
No, America hates Trump. And I hate Trump. But I will give him credit on these executive orders. At least on the face of them, I think they are good moves. Not enough to make me want to vote for him, but I am not above praising the man when he does something good for a change.
"America hates Trump". I love these grandiose claims when the person making them has NOT asked EACH and EVERY American what they think on the subject.

"And I hate Trump" The typical left way. If they disagree on ANYTHING or ANYONE they IMMEDIATELY go to the "I hate". They have used it so much it is like, "the boy who cried wolf", too often". Such a childish reaction!

I lived through both bill clinton and obama. Didn't agree with much they did but, did NOT sink to the "I hate" level. You will live though Trump, unless you have a heat attack hyperventilating over Trump.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Going to repeat info I've already posted, so we know exactly where the price-gouging is happening in US health care costs...

The health insurance industry has a profit margin of only 3.3%. They're not the problem.

https://naic.org/documents/topic_ins...ind_report.pdf

MUCH higher profit margins in the following...

Outpatient Care Centers: 15.9%
Other Health Care Providers' Offices: 14.2%
Pharmaceutical Industry: 13.8%
Physician's Offices: 11.5%
Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories: 11.1%

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2762308

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-1...profitabl.html

And just for fun, compare the above profit margins to those of some well-known corporations...

Much-maligned Walmart's profit margin is only 2.96%
https://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

Meanwhile, Apple's and Google's (including Android products and spinoff services) profit margins are:

Apple (iPhone, iPad, Mac computers, etc.): 19.29%
https://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

Google (Alphabet): 16.61%
https://ycharts.com/companies/GOOG/profit_margin
"we know exactly where the price-gouging is happening in US health care costs..." Boo-hoo-hoo!

If "we know" know so much, why haven't the "we" gotten a lawyer and sued them for breaking "price gouging" laws.

Unless the " we" is just you and the frog you have in your pocket!

P.S ycharts is nothing more then STOCK investment company tha tWANTS you do do business with them.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
How are Drug Research Companies able to stay in business s where prices are caps are included?
Most countries do research also have price controls.

The problem in the USA is pharma lobbyists.
"in other countries". GOVERNMENT healthcare. The outrageous TAXES the people pay covers the difference.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
So go die because you wont buy a drug that big pharma engages in monopolistic behavior. Got it.

The US govt underwrites a LOT of drug research including sending many millions directly subsidizing Covid research. Big pharma wants to charge big ON TOP of the subsidies.

I find it funny that consumers in the US are expected to pay 1.5 to 5X (occasionally more) for drugs than EVERY OTHER country on earth. If they are truly unprofitable without gouging the US consumer, perhaps we need to have a discussion with every other country on earth about why we (the US) have to supply all the profit.

See also: Evergreening and unwritten agreements about exclusive production of certain past patent drugs.
You have 2 choices. Take 1.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:32 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"we know exactly where the price-gouging is happening in US health care costs..." Boo-hoo-hoo!

If "we know" know so much, why haven't the "we" gotten a lawyer and sued them for breaking "price gouging" laws.

Unless the " we" is just you and the frog you have in your pocket!

P.S ycharts is nothing more then STOCK investment company tha tWANTS you do do business with them.
Just providing info so consumers will be better informed. Don't like the profit margin of a particular corporation/industry? Don't buy/lease their products/services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies