Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:47 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And things could be worse in America. We could have a Trudeau as president.
Their country, their PM, their problem. It would be nice if more Canadians held the same attitude about the U.S. Their constant sniping and snarking about our policies is annoying AF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 10:52 AM

7,913 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Hillary would not have started a trade war with China so maybe COVID would've never happened.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:06 AM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Deaths per million:
July 23rd per RealClearPolitics

UK 685.1
US 449.9

CNN viewer per chance?

And for people who say the US has done nothing, we have some of the most extensive testing in the world.
There have been 304 million tests done. The US has done over 51 million of those. The US, China (90 million) and Russia (26 million) have done 55% of the testing on the planet.
yes, since we are one of the epicenters. And considering humongously high positive test rates the testing is still not adequate for the current size of the epidemic in the US. Countries like S. Korea, Germany etc. vastly exceeded US in testing in the early days, but guess what they are not testing that much anymore because the have the outbreak under control, with very few new cases. Positive test rates are very low in multiple countries.

lastly, the testing results still take extremely long time on many occasions which is absolutely ridiculous considering we are 5-6 months in.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
So what? We don’t owe you anything for your pleasure. Come on down, be nice, and enjoy yourselves. When you try to affect change within our political system however, as normstad here has openly admitted to doing, you demonstrate the kind of Canadian ugliness that no American appreciates.
Norm is not everyone.

However, many here will find it ironic when Americans complain about others interfering in America, when America is constantly doing that around the world.

"One study indicated that the country intervening in most foreign elections is the United States with 81 interventions, followed by Russia (including the former Soviet Union) with 36 interventions from 1946 to 2000—an average of once in every nine competitive elections"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig...l_intervention

Old 07-28-2020, 12:03 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
"BBC: A very nuanced discussion on why Covid-19 is worse in the USA."

There is this thing called "per capita" that helps us compare smaller countries to bigger countries more properly.

Deaths per million:

Belgium 859.91

Great Britain 688.22

Spain 608.51

Italy 581.02

Peru 575.76

Sweden 559.75

Chile 490.52

USA 451.74

France 449.52

My first question is why isn't the BBC asking why their numbers are the second worst on earth as opposed to why ours is 8th?

We wouldn't even be near the top 10 if Cuomo and Whitmer didn't dump Covid patients into nursing homes.

The most of the world has failed. In the US this does include Trump on down to local government even to people refusing to do any social distancing.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Norm is not everyone.

However, many here will find it ironic when Americans complain about others interfering in America, when America is constantly doing that around the world.

"One study indicated that the country intervening in most foreign elections is the United States with 81 interventions, followed by Russia (including the former Soviet Union) with 36 interventions from 1946 to 2000—an average of once in every nine competitive elections"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig...l_intervention

Why are you bringing up the actions of the US government -- which many Americans on both the left and right disagree with -- when other posters are talking about Canadian posters' interference on CD? I think there's a big difference.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Indeed

Just look at their ID

normstad
"When fascism comes, it carries a flag and a cross"

What they obvious don't realize or admit to, is fascism is born of the left, not the right.

Regardless, Trump inherited experts from the Obama/Biden admin, and whatever plans and supplies. Obama & Co failed to thwart the H1N1 virus and were incredibly slow to act.
Yet most fair minded people did not directly blame Obama/Biden, nor was there a daily drumbeat in the media attacking him for it.

So yes, this and some other posters start threads and post with a constant attempt to find something anti-Trump or Republican to post, typically from far leftist sources.

`
Don't tell me where facism comes from. My parents grew up in a facist regime, and trust me, it had nothing to do with the left.

Spain under Franco wasn't left, was is?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Got it. Are you actually still splitting your time? I wouldn't want to be in Florida given their response and numbers.
Nope, came home 2 months ago. I have no idea if I will be back. My condo may be available for rent for a while.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
So what? We don’t owe you anything for your pleasure. Come on down, be nice, and enjoy yourselves. When you try to affect change within our political system however, as normstad here has openly admitted to doing, you demonstrate the kind of Canadian ugliness that no American appreciates.
I can't vote in the USA, but I know how to lobby.

I can even teach some Americans what works and what doesn't. But that comes with a fee. A significant one.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Why are you bringing up the actions of the US government -- which many Americans on both the left and right disagree with -- when other posters are talking about Canadian posters' interference on CD? I think there's a big difference.
CD is not an American forum. It's an international one, dominated by Americans. Try and keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies