Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 11:03 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If you are looking for a distorted, twisted view of law and order, I’d suggest you re-read your own post. BLM protests are responsible for how many deaths? Give me a count please. And please point out where Trump has done anything to try to send a message of unity and peace in this time of tumult? Like, one that could perhaps reduce the unrest in the street? Like EVERY other president faced with such a crisis has done? Why give him a pass on this?

Also, please cite how the deployment of Federal Troops to suppress a protest movement is constitutional.

You need to stop defending the indefensible.
So far 29 people have died because of these “protests.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 11:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So far 29 people have died because of these “protests.”
Thank you. That is obviously a terrible thing.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:10 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Shooter has been released. The second shooter who was brought in for questioning has also been released. Both are CHL holders.
Yup, open and shut case of a justified shooting.

It’s not ok to block traffic, gang up on a car, and point your rifle at the car.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:11 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Blm and antifa rioters need a slug in the forehead. Nothing but a bunch of thugs.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Banning choke holds. Reducing immunity for lawbreaking police officers. End the program of selling used wartime military equipment to local PDs. Mandatory federal de-escalation training for all law enforcement.

Those would be a good start. What do you think?
Wow, none of that would stop the gang violence and murder in Chicago or other inner cities. Well done.

Quote:
Two people are dead and at least 47 others have been injured in shootings across the city of Chicago, authorities say.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...lence/2311569/

Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Banning choke holds. Reducing immunity for lawbreaking police officers. End the program of selling used wartime military equipment to local PDs. Mandatory federal de-escalation training for all law enforcement.

Those would be a good start. What do you think?
Banning chokeholds yes. Lawbreaking officers have no immunity. They just have to have evidence and people willing to testify. The officers in the Floyd case are in jail and I have a feeling the choker is going to jail for life. I don’t know what kind of old military equipment they get, but the way to get them to de-escalate or reduce funding for the equipment is not to do what they’re doing in Portland or Seattle or New York. They’re just giving the police more of a justification for it.

Last edited by katygirl68; 07-26-2020 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That is obviously a terrible thing.
Yes it is. And that doesn’t include the hundreds of businesses destroyed around the country because of these protests. And for nothing. George Floyd’s Killer is in jail, and there have actually been more people killed in these protests than unarmed people of all races by police in a year (and unarmed does not equal harmless).

I just looked it up again and the number is now 30 deaths due to these protests.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Banning chokeholds yes. Lawbreaking officers have no immunity. They just have to have evidence and people willing to testify. The officers in the Floyd case are in jail and I have a feeling the choker is going to jail for life. I don’t know what kind of old military equipment they get, but the way to get them to de-escalate or reduce funding for the equipment is not to do what they’re doing in Portland or Seattle or New York. They’re just giving them more of a justification for it.
Just saying those would be the kinds of actions (banning choke holds, mandating training, etc) that a president could do to address the current unrest. It might have shown that he cares about the country and wellbeing of our citizens, especially if he had taken action quickly. Would it have stopped the protests? I can’t say for sure. But it certainly wouldn’t have hurt. And he probably would have helped himself too. I think this is something he just can’t see, that doing the right thing might even benefit him in the long run!

Old 07-26-2020, 11:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
So if you want to have some sort of dialog here, let’s start with you acknowledging some basic, known facts:

1) The people we see in the streets, carrying signs and chanting things, are indeed the literal definition of protesters. You can look it up if you want.
"We" don't see any such people. I'm sure there were lots of people doing that two months ago, but I haven't seen any of that in a long time.

Quote:
2) These protesters, whether you agree with them or not, do indeed have grievances, such as how the killing of George Floyd happened,
That's not a grievance. The alleged killers have been charged.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Just saying those would be the kinds of actions (banning choke holds, mandating training, etc) that a president could do to address the current unrest. It might have shown that he cares about the country and wellbeing of our citizens, especially if he had taken action quickly. Would it have stopped the protests? I can’t say for sure. But it certainly wouldn’t have hurt. And he probably would have helped himself too. I think this is something he just can’t see, that doing the right thing might even benefit him in the long run!
Are you unaware of the bill introduced by Senator Tim Scott but was blocked by Senate Democrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies