Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 03:35 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think the car was speeding away. The delay between shots is only few seconds. But yes, if he was in process of leaving the scene then you should hold your fire. The whole incident was unnecessary, but its likely to repeat in open-carry States.

What do you mean huddle in fear? 99% of Americans live normal lives, and don't give a rip about the protests, or even riots which happen 3000 miles away. Even if there were protests here in Florida (there are not), I would simply drive around them as opposed to trying to prove how brave I am by driving through a protest with guns blazing.

There were many other cars in the mix, but none had any issues. This guy had a problem because he drove into the crowd and obviously had a gun ready in his hand because the firing started as soon as he stopped.

The gun lobby has worked hard to expand gun ownership, and now we have all kinds of idiots running around with guns, and bodies are piling up. No one should be protesting with an AK-47.
I’m talking about the media’s characterization of conservative protests to reopen businesses and the snarky crap they continue to post accusing conservatives of being a death cult regarding the coronavirus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what are the details of Mike Ramos, beyond the 911 call and today's bodycam footage?

911 caller says he's smoking crack and making meth. Says he has a gun. At one point, says he's been pointing it at thee female occupant.

Cops during their strategy session mention "wee know this guy, we've been looking for him".

After initially (though too slowly) complying, he begins non-complying. When targeted with a beanbag, it has zero noticeable effect. He gets back in the car, they shout at him not to move. He drives off anyway. They shoot him.
I really don't know all that much about him - have been waiting for the police statement. The DA has just lost the primary, so she'll be out in November and so has decided not to make a decision on this case and is allowing her successor to decide what to do. Don't know yet whether there will be any charges for any of the cops in this case.

When they searched the car, there was no gun. I don't know if they know who made the 911 call, but they were completely misled by the 911 call and were responding to a man pointing a gun at a woman's head, instead of what was happening. He was sitting in this car with no gun with a woman. Enormous difference in how this case was handled.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...chief-confirms

Old 07-27-2020, 04:23 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Extremely sad and disturbing that someone chose to kill because of politics.

What a horrible culture ...so much gun violence on both sdies.
You can always be relied upon for some deranged victim blaming. Yes, the driver is the victim here.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
One down, 10,000 more to GO!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:12 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
I have not read any blogs, but thanks for suggesting otherwise.

Are you in habit of driving over people who walk on the street?

All protests, including Tea Party, are on local roads. Some get permits, and some don't. I do not know if these guys had a permit, and I doubt the shooter did either,

Me, I just take another route. No need for anyone to die.
Walking down the road to one's destination and blocking access to passage through a venue intended for that purpose are not even in the same universe alike. Stop with the enabling attitude. These terrorists beat on cars, set them on fire, break windows, drag drivers out of the vehicle. They need to be arrested and jailed for a very long time.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
I have not read any blogs, but thanks for suggesting otherwise.

Are you in habit of driving over people who walk on the street?

All protests, including Tea Party, are on local roads. Some get permits, and some don't. I do not know if these guys had a permit, and I doubt the shooter did either,

Me, I just take another route. No need for anyone to die.
Come on. You are making the argument that if you have an intruder in your living room, sneak out the back door. No need to shoot an intruder.

The driver has the right to use that road. He pays a gas tax, he pays registration fees and he pays for his drivers license. Unless the state, county or city closes the road he has a right to use it and the BLM racists and Antifa thugs absolutely don't have the right to impede or threaten him.

The Driver absolutely had good reason to feel threatened as well.

Here is an idea. Pick a more safe place to protest. Don't threaten motorists. Don't burn and loot. Stop attacking people just because. That makes a little more sense than telling people to find alternate routes.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really don't know all that much about him - have been waiting for the police statement. The DA has just lost the primary, so she'll be out in November and so has decided not to make a decision on this case and is allowing her successor to decide what to do. Don't know yet whether there will be any charges for any of the cops in this case.

When they searched the car, there was no gun. I don't know if they know who made the 911 call, but they were completely misled by the 911 call and were responding to a man pointing a gun at a woman's head, instead of what was happening. He was sitting in this car with no gun with a woman. Enormous difference in how this case was handled.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...chief-confirms
well....I've been able to learn he had served time for car theft, and I'm 99% sure they said this car was stolen. They knew his name, somehow.

Are not the cops and the 911 dispatcher almost always to believe the report of the caller? Or are they to believe the non-compliant suspect, who moved behind his car door within potential reach of a gun, as he says "the ****, I ain't got no gun dawg!" Are they to believe it's a suspect jacked up on drugs, or not?

When said suspect drives off and they don't know whether there's a deadly weapon or he's whacked out ... they can hope he's telling the truth AND he's not under the influence; they can hope no one will get harmed; or they can take action to end it while they have a great chance.

Your (yours and everyone's) choice about which option to choose tells us about you, not about the cops' actions.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well....I've been able to learn he had served time for car theft, and I'm 99% sure they said this car was stolen. They knew his name, somehow.

Are not the cops and the 911 dispatcher almost always to believe the report of the caller? Or are they to believe the non-compliant suspect, who moved behind his car door within potential reach of a gun, as he says "the ****, I ain't got no gun dawg!" Are they to believe it's a suspect jacked up on drugs, or not?

When said suspect drives off and they don't know whether there's a deadly weapon or he's whacked out ... they can hope he's telling the truth AND he's not under the influence; they can hope no one will get harmed; or they can take action to end it while they have a great chance.

Your (yours and everyone's) choice about which option to choose tells us about you, not about the cops' actions.
Well, I hadn't made a decision about him. It seemed from the first that he wasn't an innocent man; all i wonder about, is what was the motivation for the 911 caller to say Ramos had a gun? Did the 911 caller actually believe he had seen that? OR, did the 911 caller want someone to come out speedy quick and get this loser out of the apartment complex parking lot, and reporting someone sitting in a car wouldn't have caused a police reaction?

I don't know, and maybe that will come out later.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I hadn't made a decision about him. It seemed from the first that he wasn't an innocent man; all i wonder about, is what was the motivation for the 911 caller to say Ramos had a gun? Did the 911 caller actually believe he had seen that? OR, did the 911 caller want someone to come out speedy quick and get this loser out of the apartment complex parking lot, and reporting someone sitting in a car wouldn't have caused a police reaction?

I don't know, and maybe that will come out later.
well, first and foremost, there was a passenger in the car - in theory the woman in question. No statement from her? Did they do a (toxicology and) test for drugs on him or her? Did they say whether drugs or paraphernalia was found, or just "no gun"?

Is the 911 dispatch supposed to be able to discern the truthfulness of a report? That would be a huge can of worms!

Now, I don't know how it works in Austin, but here in Raleigh NC the few times I've called 911 (always for car accidents, etal), they always ask my name, and they have my cell phone captured.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:15 PM

I mean - you brought up how inflammatory this case was. Tell us more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies