Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Without cheating and looking it up, do you know the name of your WNBA team?
Yes 3 12.00%
No 22 88.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 11:04 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times

Advertisements

The latest controversy about protesting the national anthem, The Women's National Basketball Association walked out for when the Star Spangled Banner started to play. Okay I hope they have fun with that. Free speech, not free from consequences, all the usual back and forth.

But it just occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea who the WNBA team for Chicago is. Any day of the week, I'll root for the Bears, the Blackhawks, the Bulls and the Cubs. I even know off the top of my head that the soccer team is The Chicago Fire. But I have no earthly idea what the name of the Chicago WNBA team is. In principal, i think that women's sports should get some love. In practice, I've never actually watched a WNBA game in my life.

So here's the challenge: If you vote yes, you have to post the name of your WNBA team without looking it up and without looking through the comments to try to cheat. Either you know the name or you don't. Then post the name or your ream. Then look it up if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,770 times
No, but I don't know the name of my NBA team either. Not a sports fan.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:20 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
Who cares. Wnba is supported only by woke urban lesbians. Irrelevant

Old 07-26-2020, 12:22 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
The bull moosenuckles?

Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
They walked out? Did they all realize at the same time that they had forgotten their masks? Did they return to play the game? Does it really matter if they did?

Due to the virus I wonder how they like playing to the empty seats? Somehow I think it is probably not that different than it was last season...

How dumb and misguided these walkouts etc are. You can't stand there pretending to show a bit of pride, a bit of respect for the nation and those that came before who paid with their lives to allow you to play a game for a living?

Dumb. I suppose next they will be demanding to be paid the same as the men do even though they only bring in a fraction of the money??

Old 07-26-2020, 12:34 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The latest controversy about protesting the national anthem, The Women's National Basketball Association walked out for when the Star Spangled Banner started to play. Okay I hope they have fun with that. Free speech, not free from consequences, all the usual back and forth.

But it just occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea who the WNBA team for Chicago is. Any day of the week, I'll root for the Bears, the Blackhawks, the Bulls and the Cubs. I even know off the top of my head that the soccer team is The Chicago Fire. But I have no earthly idea what the name of the Chicago WNBA team is. In principal, i think that women's sports should get some love. In practice, I've never actually watched a WNBA game in my life.

So here's the challenge: If you vote yes, you have to post the name of your WNBA team without looking it up and without looking through the comments to try to cheat. Either you know the name or you don't. Then post the name or your ream. Then look it up if you want.
Yes simply because I follow sports AND a US Senator here owns part of the team and criticized their BLM crap.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:37 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
I'm not a women's basketball fan so I have no idea. Are you a big supporter of the WNBA, OP? If not, why do you care so much whether other people follow the sport or not? I mean, truly, who cares?

You needed a who cares? option in your poll. It would be the runaway winner.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:55 PM

I did have to look it up and apparently it's the Chicago Sky. No clue how sky is a Chicago thing. Maybe they mean the skyline or something?

I honestly have no particular objection to having a women's pro basketball league, but it's pretty obvious nobody really cares about it. As I've said elsewhere, I think this is a desperate attempt to get somebody/anybody to watch them. The fact that it's in line with the fashionable political cause of the moment is hardly a coincidence, but if it were "Get Our Troops Out of Afghanistan" I don't doubt they'd jump on that bandwagon as well. Every one of them would likely eat a steam bowl of feces if doing so could guarantee NBA levels of support and viewership forever, so you can expect them to do the same thing whenever another cultural fad comes along. I kinda feel sorry for them. Women's tennis gets all kinds of love and that's about it. Nobody seems to care one bit about any other women's sport at similar levels to the men, not counting the Olympics.

Quote:
Dumb. I suppose next they will be demanding to be paid the same as the men do even though they only bring in a fraction of the money??
I expect that there's miles of difference between how much the WNBA brings in and women's soccer. The USA women's soccer team is astoundingly dominant, so they can't help but draw more fans. Not as much as the men, but in a free country nobody gets to hold a gun to your head and tell you that you have to watch women's sports.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:00 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I didn't even know the WNBA still existed. Maybe I was confusing it with the NWBL?

I'm shocked there's even a market for these things, cuz I never watched a single game nor did I care to, sorry.

There's no compelling reason for the average sports fan to watch the WNBA when the NBA is so much more exciting and has so many more memorable characters by comparison. And unfortunately the WNBA doesn't seem to have any players they can market for sex appeal AKA eye candy to compel men to start watching, nor do they have any transcendent type player with unbelievable skills.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I'm not a women's basketball fan so I have no idea. Are you a big supporter of the WNBA, OP? If not, why do you care so much whether other people follow the sport or not? I mean, truly, who cares?

You needed a who cares? option in your poll. It would be the runaway winner.
I honestly never thought much about it, but on principal I should be. And I have no particular animosity for women's sports. But I've never really paid attention to the WNBA, despite being a pretty big Chicago sports fan across the board. Hearing about their national anthem stunt made me actually stop and think, "Gee, what is the Chicago WNBA team? Well crap, I've got no idea!" It made me curious if that was the case for others. Apparently, based on poll results here, I'm pretty average when it comes to that.

It also makes me suspect that their participation in this highly fashionable protest is more about getting people to start watching their games than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies