Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:38 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Are you saying we should prosecute peaceful protesters? The numbers rioting are small (and those causing damage should face charges) How many protests have you been to so far?

Can you answer my question about the police?
HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN DAMAGE WAS NOT CAUSED BY JUST A FEW PEOPLE

are you in denial? Or are you really that out of touch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 02:52 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterplease909 View Post
1. Why is it so terrible when a police officer acts with excessive force yet we have seen rioters kill people, including at least one child, start fires, assault people and have zero consideration for the safety of others or the consequences of their violent actions? If cops are being called out for excessive and careless force, why aren't the rioters and the people calling for change holding THEMSELVES to the standards they would like to see of the police?
You have 2 questions here. Lets see. We expect our police to act better then criminals? SHOCKING I tell you. And BTW no consequences? BWAHAHAHHAa. Cops RARELY face consequences for the things they do. Absurd. The fact that you can't comprehend this means you haven't been paying attention AT ALL.

Ah more nonsense. LOTS of people including those on the left are calling for those who have committed violence to be prosecuted. The thing is...the VAST majority of folks are peacefully protesting. But its getting worse now that more and more folks get beaten by the cops or the federal goons here in Portland.

Quote:
2. Why is it a bad thing to stereotype an entire group based on the actions of a few bad apples? Like for example, it's wrong to look at TV footage of black people looting and assume that all black people are criminals yet we have A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bad) as one of the major slogans of BLM and this protest movement. How do you defend stereotyping an entire group based on the actions of a few in this case?
Because simply put the police are being labeled that way because groups of them in some cities ARE all bad. I have said this before, policing is local. And the Portland cops are legendary. They've co-ordinated with proud boys, including letting them know none of them with warrants would be arrested. Ever seen a LRAD used on folks? Portland police have used them on its citizens.

The ACAB comes about because for many people they've seen the police abuse people....and get away with it. And really ironic to me? You're upset about a current wrong being done (rioting or injuring others or property), but are apparently fine with the wrong that the police have done. So...in your world if person A hits person B for years....and then person B does anything, he is in the wrong. And guess what? HE IS. a crime is a crime. But you really shouldn't have ignored the first issue. If that had been dealt with person B would never have hit back. But BOTH parties have done something wrong.

But you also miss something important. Because we're talking about 1 person vs one person. Lets get some better perspective.

A cop ( and later federal goons who did far worse) enters in a room with 100 people because someone broke a table. He has beaten or harassed 5 of them in the past. Everyone gets upset because a week ago a cop had choked someone to death. The 5 folks he beat? 3of them are yelling about it-which there is no law against because we have the first amendment. 95 observers are pissed about it and yelling for it to stop. And one guy who got hit, maybe years ago, is trying to hit the cop, and the other is breaking stuff. 4 other cops walk in. 1 guy is attacking the cop. 98 people are protesting saying to stop, and another is breaking stuff.

Now in a rational way what happens next is 3 cops go after the one being violent, and 2 go after the guy breaking stuff. And people say they want cops to quit beating folks, but yeah the guy who attacked the cops should go to jail, and the same for the guy breaking stuff. But there has been a ton of unjustified beatings, and deaths. And it needs to stop.

So the folks are saying hey, the cops are doing a bad job. Lets try having a couple less cops, and more folks who can do things that dont require someone to be violent with others. Maybe train those cops better as well so they have better judgements on who gets a beatdown.

Maybe get us to half the wrong beatings, Let the cops being insanely well armed and armored folks when dealing with situations that would involve them. And hire a bunch of folks who are able to handle some of the non violent issues.

I live here. So these are my opinions having seen policing in the area. And I honestly really like the cops in my current city.

Ive seen Portland cops escalate situations insanely fast in what looked VERY intentional. Guy who wasn't a threat gets tasered for not obeying fast enough when the cop just suddenly grabbed him and started yelling stop resisting. They tasered him before he could have reasonably comprehended what was occurring.

In a neighboring city? I've seen cops show up, and take a really tense situation with people screaming at each other. And turn it into something where everyone was listening to them as they asked quiet questions to determine what was going on, and if any crimes had occurred. It was a really good insightful bit of psychology. And all I could think of is how this would occur in Portland.

Growing up I warned my children to not talk to the Portland police, and to obey them without question, even if the cops were doing something wrong. Because simply put, Portland police have had some issues for a long time. I dont know if its a training issue, a culture issue, or both. One of my GF's had a couple hundred bucks of stuff from her porch. Had the person captured on her ring cam. (BTW the newer ring doorbells have some amazing video quality compared to earlier models. Which were okayish.) And the lady was VERY distinctive. I'm 95% sure the cops would know her by face. The response? She would never call the police over a couple hundred bucks, she just couldn't handle that they might cause her a issue in some way, or maybe just not like her. And also what they would do to someone over such a trivial amount. I think she is a much kinder person then I am. But think about how bad things are when someone steals over 200 bucks from you, and you are more worried about the cops and what they might do then the loss of the money.

So here is what has gone down. Our government shoots one of the protesters in the face with a less lethal round, causing bleeding in the brain. Why? Hes a 26 yr old holding a speaker above his head standing 20 feet away and not moving. The only possible reason they shot him, is that right before they had tossed tear gas right at him. He kicks it and moves it a couple inches, reaches down and underhands it about 6 feet away. Stands up, and BAM. Right in the face.

Another guy says "hey what you are doing is wrong". Hes a retired military vet, and the cops hit him 3-4 times with a baton like using a bat, breaking two of his bones. He doesn't even raise his arm when they break bones in his hand. He just takes it. He only raises his arm when they spray him in the face with pepper spray. He turns and walks away. Bones broken, and sprayed in the face with pepper spray. His response is to walk away, and give them the finger. He asked a question. He was ZERO threat.

They then throw tear gas into the room causing folks to flee. Folks who do not run fast enough get shot with non lethals, and beaten. And this occurs night after night, as more and more people are hurt, just because they expressed a opinion. Most think the folks who commit criminal acts should be prosecuted. Trumps gone on and on about how many folks they arrested. Last number I saw was him talking about dozens.....while the number was exactly 1. But when you are tear gassing people, shooting them with less lethals-which BTW are occasionally lethal. I'm amazed more folks havent been killed by them given the figures I have seen long before this insanity began.

As people are walking home later, heavily armed people grab them and pull them into a unmarked van.

So does that help you understand why folks are treating them as a group given what they have experienced?

Quote:
3. Why is it so terrible when federal troops get called into to attempt to restore law and order but you did not protest nearly as loudly (or at all) when we have had week after week of burning cities, illegal autonomous zones, illegal road and freeway closures, assaults, killings, and general mayhem? Did you think the type of people who riot, burn and kill would just eventually stop on their own? How did you expect it to end?
I can speak about Portland. Because these protests in Portland were dying down after the local cops weren't allowed to use the LRAD or tear gas on its citizens without a reasonable fear of getting injured. They were allowed to use the LRAD as a ultra strong loudspeaker. Which oddly enough is pretty useful. But we all know what it can do too. But things were really calming. The reports from outside say 26 million in damages....which oddly enough is taken from a report that also included in it lost income from covid closures. This report obviously was not about damage from rioters. People show a picture of the cops union building if I recall looking like its totally on fire. Its obvious from the photo that that building was a write off. Meanwhile in reality....a flare was left there, and it was quickly put out. Some windows broken. Ironically I suspect that is possibly the most expensive damage weirdly enough depending on the glass. Definitely some damage, but not whats being represented.

The cops did some dumb things at first. The one I found fascinating was trying to use a fence. Fences quit literally just give folks a target. And doesn't allow you to go arrest those who are committing crimes. They removed it. So things were calming down when a more balanced interaction started. Cops were still being jerks though. Then...well you can read up above.

Quote:
If you are a person who defends the rioters or you think it's no big deal or just some right wing exaggeration, I'd love to see you honestly answer the three questions above.
All of things I mentioned are FACTS and are not in dispute.
Actually no. You lack context of the area, and what has been going on.

Quote:
Fact #1 :The rioters have acted without any concern whatsoever for the safety of innocents.
Yeah rioters are violent people. They need to be arrested. You know, when you go out without a fence you can do that. And there is literally a manual on how to deal with these sort of things. Now remember, 95% are just wanting their protest to be seen.

And I have seen people who want this to be seen and heard so much that they show up to protest in which for them has risks that are very high. Covid would very likely be fatal for them. They feel so strongly about this that they show up to have their voices heard. They are peaceful. They got tear gassed twice before running out of saline and having to retreat after the second incident. Their personal decision to do so represents some incredible bravery. She is non violent. Just like most protestors. Recently its been getting worse though. The federal agents actions as described above represent some truly next level why are we not impeach this one man wrecker of our democracy. So since its escalating its truly obvious that the federal agents goal is not about helping. They are there to escalate the situation, so the real question is, why has Trumps government acted without any concern for the innocent?
Most of those folks getting hurt are simply trying to be heard. You can arrest those breaking the law. You shouldn't be gassing people who are almost entirely peaceful punishing a group of people for the actions of a few. LOL. Another ironic thing is that would be a war crime if we did it to another country.

Quote:
Fact #2 :A.C.A.B is a thing.
Yeah when you tear gas a vastly innocent group because you should be arresting those who throw things at you, or commit other crimes. You might just be grouped with the group of you thats tear gassing folks who just want their voices heard because of the actions of the few.

Quote:
Fact #3 :We've had (and have) endless weeks of riots, violence and destruction with no end in sight.
Yup. And since the feds are escalating as are the protestors in response to the shocking behavior of our government towards us. Because honestly Trump is trying the tough man act with a strong law and order message out. the escalation of it caused by violence escalated by his very decisions. A political ad campaign that so far hasn't gained in traction. Fun fact, this is LITERALLY the guide to how Putin gained control, and has maintained control of Russia. Barring a change what occurs next can go some kinda scary ways. And Trumps actions are neither well considered, or wise at the minimum.

Quote:
Have at it
LOL. You did ask.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:00 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Riots are bad. M'kay?

There. You happy?

I swear on the wizened bosoms of St. Cantaloupe. Some of y'all...I don't know. I need a barrel of Bourbon.

Cute.

Don't condemn them to me.

Condemn them to your local and state representatives and demand that they do their damned jobs and put a stop to them .

And as far as bourbon goes ..... I'd recommend quality over quantity. Try some Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:16 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
It’s worse because the police were sent in? No it got worse because the mayors refused to allow the police to put a stop to illegal activities conducted under the guise of a peaceful protest. Things got so bad that it warranted a response from federal law enforcement since local police were being prevented from doing their job and stopping the rioting (looting, burning, theft, assaults, and murders).

Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It’s worse because the police were sent in? No it got worse because the mayors refused to allow the police to put a stop to illegal activities conducted under the guise of a peaceful protest. Things got so bad that it warranted a response from federal law enforcement since local police were being prevented from doing their job and stopping the rioting (looting, burning, theft, assaults, and murders).
Again, see above. Things were getting better night after night....right until the feds showed up and started trampling on peoples first amendment rights, punishing them because of the actions of a minority.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:14 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I'm afraid the far left is going to lead to a race war or retaliation against people of color in general and I'm the one who's going to be screwed by the actions of those "protests."
They will lose quickly. And after things will be far worse for them. Bring it on.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterplease909 View Post
1. Why is it so terrible when a police officer acts with excessive force yet we have seen rioters kill people, including at least one child, start fires, assault people and have zero consideration for the safety of others or the consequences of their violent actions? If cops are being called out for excessive and careless force, why aren't the rioters and the people calling for change holding THEMSELVES to the standards they would like to see of the police?

2. Why is it a bad thing to stereotype an entire group based on the actions of a few bad apples? Like for example, it's wrong to look at TV footage of black people looting and assume that all black people are criminals yet we have A.C.A.B. (All Cops Are Bad) as one of the major slogans of BLM and this protest movement. How do you defend stereotyping an entire group based on the actions of a few in this case?

3. Why is it so terrible when federal troops get called into to attempt to restore law and order but you did not protest nearly as loudly (or at all) when we have had week after week of burning cities, illegal autonomous zones, illegal road and freeway closures, assaults, killings, and general mayhem? Did you think the type of people who riot, burn and kill would just eventually stop on their own? How did you expect it to end?

If you are a person who defends the rioters or you think it's no big deal or just some right wing exaggeration, I'd love to see you honestly answer the three questions above.
All of things I mentioned are FACTS and are not in dispute.

Fact #1 :The rioters have acted without any concern whatsoever for the safety of innocents.
Fact #2 :A.C.A.B is a thing.
Fact #3 :We've had (and have) endless weeks of riots, violence and destruction with no end in sight.

Have at it
You start. I have not seen anyone defend violence.

Oh, I see you shared my post from another thread and dishonestly claim I am defending violence. How on earth do you figure this posts defends violence, when it obviously does nothing but explain what it happening, and adds that it is unfortunate. I stick to what I said: the riots are really not about BLM anymore, and it is likely to get worse. That is my opinion, and it does not defend violence. What a ridiculous and dishonest claim you made.

Get honest, and stay honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
These riots are not about BLM, they are about the federal troops themselves. The troops have become the very reason for the riots, and the more they bring, the worse it will get, and yes, it will escalate to a point where live ammo will be used by one side or the other, or both.

Unfortunately this is spreading to other cities too. It seems Trump thinks that fomenting unrest will help him in the polls.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-27-2020 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 AM

174 posts, read 61,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The ACAB comes about because for many people they've seen the police abuse people....and get away with it.

----------

In a neighboring city? I've seen cops show up, and take a really tense situation with people screaming at each other. And turn it into something where everyone was listening to them as they asked quiet questions to determine what was going on, and if any crimes had occurred. It was a really good insightful bit of psychology. And all I could think of is how this would occur in Portland.

In one sentence you are defending people saying ACAB and in other you have provided your very own evidence to the contrary.

There really IS no justification for saying that. I don't see how anybody can seriously believe that out of ALL of the police who serve and have served there are not good officers, officers who DO report bad behavior in their ranks and officers who have laid down their lives for others, even *shockingly* people of color!

In fact, if you were to look at actual statistics, like how the left claims to stand for science, you would see out of the overwhelmingly majority of public interactions with the police, most are professional, in fact, the vast majority are professional.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:25 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I would just ask why any tax paying American deserves to be abandoned by their government when they come under attack by a wild animal, unhinged, domestic terrorist BLM democrat mob.
Exactly. I lean right, and live in SE Michigan, with Detroit being the closest large city to me. I have to say the Democratic leadership of Detroit has been spectacular throughout this whole mess, with Chief Craig rising to the top. Him and mayor Duggan have done really well with keeping things peaceful here. There have been some close calls, but they never escalated into full scale riots. And when Chief Craig was asked about the possibility of the Feds coming here, his response was that they are not here to take over, they are hear to enhance what we are already doing. None of this, whining , crying , BS that Trump is over stepping, breaking the Constitution , etc. He basically stated he would welcome the help.
Detroit is finally showing the rest of the country what real leadership is.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 AM

174 posts, read 61,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, see above. Things were getting better night after night....right until the feds showed up and started trampling on peoples first amendment rights, punishing them because of the actions of a minority.
Yeah because people willing to commit arson, assault and kill people and cause billions in damages are simply going to stop doing it.

Gotta question for you...
How much would be too much?
How many people would need to die, how many billions in damages? How many once glorious cities with grafitti everywhere, boarded up windows, burned out husks of automobiles would be enough for you to think something needed to be done by SOMEONE to put an end to this?

Seems like you and your ilk only started getting outraged once the feds arrived to stop it. You didn't seem to much care during the week after week of violence.

Why can't you seem to hold two simultaneous concepts in your head at the same time?
1. There are bad cops and we should protest their abuses.
2. Rioting, killing people, arson, assuming ALL cops are bad and destroying your city is not acceptable and needs to be stopped ASAP! If the local politicians won't do it, then the federal gov't needs to! Otherwise how the hell does it stop?! Do you seriously thing people who do this and who see no consequences for their actions will simply stop??

You say the violence was dying down. They tried to light a FEDERAL COURTHOUSE ON FIRE for EFF's sake!!
In your mind, that is called "getting better"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies