Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I'm much less worried about the virus and much more worried about government over reach.
All of those deaths are a government conspiracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 1,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian
....So until at least November 4th, the lie of covid prevails over any truth.
Thats a stronger statment than you realise my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
....None of this adds up.
Those of us who arent glued to our TVs agree with this statement.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501
For a lot of people once they've made up their mind about something there's no turning back regardless of what's presented to them, I believe it's called cognitive dissonance... For me things are just no longer adding up, and I'm really starting to get worried that there is some major government over reach occuring. It's happened numerous times through history, should we be naive enough to believe it couldn't happen again?
Indeed they are doing it as a test to something else..... If this test passes they will move to the next phase........ (Which hopefully it wont)

Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
When the virus first hit I was watching the numbers, the death rates, following the spread and I was genuinely worried. I knew had it not been for all the social distancing and mask wearing things would be much worse. As I continue to educate myself my opinion has changed, I'm much less worried about the virus and much more worried about government over reach. We still have 1,000 people a day dying on average which is terrible, but this is a new virus and lives are going to be loss it's to be expected but it's not nearly as bad as originally projected. I'm curious if I'm the only one or if anyone else's mind has changed?

The main reasons I've changed my mind:

1) In NJ, hospitals are no longer overwhelmed, new cases and deaths are minimal, yet things are still shut down, there should simply be no reason for this. A gym owner was just arrested for refusing to shut down when every other store in the strip mall he's located is open.

2) The number of cases to death rate is now completely inconsistent. Back when new cases spiked in early April the death rate spiked about 2 weeks later. (35,000 daily cases, 2,750 deaths)... But now we had 75,000 daily cases 2 weeks ago so you'd think we'd have over 5,500 deaths but we don't, not even close, seems to average around 1,000.

3) Media and people pushing that not even a single loss of life is worth opening things back up and sending kids back to school. Well then why haven't we always shut down schools during flu season when 60,000 people die? It just feels like some weird scare tactic to keep things closed.

For a lot of people once they've made up their mind about something there's no turning back regardless of what's presented to them, I believe it's called cognitive dissonance... For me things are just no longer adding up, and I'm really starting to get worried that there is some major government over reach occuring. It's happened numerous times through history, should we be naive enough to believe it couldn't happen again?
Took you a while to connect the dots but better late than never. Many of us on
here have known this for months.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
I think Covid is peaking right now in TX, FL, AZ, and Southern California and will decline significantly in the next 2 months just as it did in the Northeast. Daily deaths may again come close to 2,000 a day but probably won't exceed the records set in April because 1) We now have better treatments for Covid and 2) Back in April, only the severe cases were diagnosed due to limited testing (we probably had about 200,000 cases each day then but only 30,000 diagnosed). Now lots of mild and asymptomatic cases are diagnoased. I think the daily deaths will eventually fall again but then come fall, the Midwest and Northwest may become the epicenter as people there will congregate indoors due to inclimate weather. I am hopeful that the vaccine will be available by the end of the year or early next year.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:57 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I think Covid is peaking right now in TX, FL, AZ, and Southern California and will decline significantly in the next 2 months just as it did in the Northeast. Daily deaths may again come close to 2,000 a day but probably won't exceed the records set in April because 1) We now have better treatments for Covid and 2) Back in April, only the severe cases were diagnosed due to limited testing (we probably had about 200,000 cases each day then but only 30,000 diagnosed). Now lots of mild and asymptomatic cases are diagnoased. I think the daily deaths will eventually fall again but then come fall, the Midwest and Northwest may become the epicenter as people there will congregate indoors due to inclimate weather. I am hopeful that the vaccine will be available by the end of the year or early next year.
I read an article the other day with yet another speculation to take with a grain of salt, but this one might explain why these places hit a peak and then drop off when the antibody tests aren’t showing us anywhere near herd immunity. They were looking at why so many seem to be immune or have such mild symptoms, especially young children under 10 but also older teens. Several theories were offered, but I liked one doctor who said he thought it was because we are exposed to so many coronaviruses in life with the common cold they have some natural immunity. Little kids still have a lot of lingering antibodies after catching so many colds when they’re young. We may be closer to herd immunity than we thought IF true. I read in a baby book that kids tend to get about 12 colds per year, and by the time they’re elderly and they average about two per year if that.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I read an article the other day with yet another speculation to take with a grain of salt, but this one might explain why these places hit a peak and then drop off when the antibody tests aren’t showing us anywhere near herd immunity. They were looking at why so many seem to be immune or have such mild symptoms, especially young children under 10 but also older teens. Several theories were offered, but I liked one doctor who said he thought it was because we are exposed to so many coronaviruses in life with the common cold they have some natural immunity. Little kids still have a lot of lingering antibodies after catching so many colds when they’re young. We may be closer to herd immunity than we thought IF true. I read in a baby book that kids tend to get about 12 colds per year, and by the time they’re elderly and they average about two per year if that.

I have a different theory because I know two middle aged spouses and one 20 something fiance who did NOT get Covid even after sharing the same bed with someone diagnosed. I think half or maybe even more than half of the population is naturally immune to the virus for some reason. Cases seem to decline drastically after 20 percent of the population gets infected like in New York City, Italy, Spain etc. and now Sweden is showing a steep decline rate as well.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I have a different theory because I know two middle aged spouses and one 20 something fiance who did NOT get Covid even after sharing the same bed with someone diagnosed. I think half or maybe even more than half of the population is naturally immune to the virus for some reason. Cases seem to decline drastically after 20 percent of the population gets infected like in New York City, Italy, Spain etc. and now Sweden is showing a steep decline rate as well.
I love to speculate with no proof lol. This kind of stuff is fascinating in a layman’s way because I’m utterly clueless. I’ve been out of school for way too long.

Nearly 30 years ago I read an article that did a study on people who were HIV carriers but never got full-blown AIDS. There seemed to be some connection to having ancestors who survived the Black Death. Interesting study that couldn’t have been big enough to do more than get some headlines.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:29 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
I lost my 58 year-old brother-in-law last Tuesday to Covid-19. He felt sick on the Friday before, went to the ER, then he went home. EMS did a welfare check, and said that he died in his sleep early in the morning. We’re still in shock.

Over 150K in deaths in the US in the last five months. Those deaths are quick or drawn out and ugly. It’s all statistics until it comes to you or someone you know. Covid-19 is going to kill millions, destroy our modern culture, destroy the economy, and lower the birth rate for the next ten years.

In many ways, the world that developed from the Industrial Age over the last 250 years is over. It’s every man for himself now...

Old 07-29-2020, 06:17 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I lost my 58 year-old brother-in-law last Tuesday to Covid-19. He felt sick on the Friday before, went to the ER, then he went home. EMS did a welfare check, and said that he died in his sleep early in the morning. We’re still in shock.

Over 150K in deaths in the US in the last five months. Those deaths are quick or drawn out and ugly. It’s all statistics until it comes to you or someone you know. Covid-19 is going to kill millions, destroy our modern culture, destroy the economy, and lower the birth rate for the next ten years.

In many ways, the world that developed from the Industrial Age over the last 250 years is over. It’s every man for himself now...
My condolences to you and your family.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Back in April testing was in so many cases too slow to be clinically useful. So many cases were diagnosed clinically. My wife's covid testing came back 10 days after her discharge, so she was actually under counted, and if she had died, covid would not have been on her original death certificate until/unless amended by the ME.

In cases where covid is found, but not the cause of death, it is placed on the death cert. under other conditions, not the immediate or antecedent cause unless clinically important.

Bill Gates has been into global pandemic HC for a long time, and is quite smart to say the least. Medicine is not rocket science. Leave that to Musk who can talk right up there with legitimate rocket scientists!

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...spacex-2014-10
Thank you for being, an apparently conservative, voice of reason.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies