Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you think your spending is not "controlled" now, then I truly feel sorry for you my friend.

If you are looking for true freedom, I suggest you start living off the grid.
explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Nearly 150,000 have died in less than a year. And it's a number that continues to grow. How many times does it have to be said that THIS IS NOT THE FLU.

And we have been trying and trying and trying to "take reasonable precautions" but the MAGAs refuse to. Now what?
Now how many of the protesters and rioters were wearing MAGA hats or masks?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:05 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
1 death in Illinois yesterday. And most public schools are closed for fall. ONE.DEATH.

This is what I'm talking about... Early on I totally agreed with the steps being taken to be sure people are safe. Coronavirus is here, just like the flu is here.. we can't keep everything shutdown forever.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:09 PM

186 posts, read 67,265 times
I've changed my mind about Covid-19, anyone else?

Yes. I've always taken it seriously as I have children in the science community who talked about it in January, but 6+ months in, it is worse than all had initially hoped. The experts of course started to see just a few months in how troublesome and complicated and serious it was going to be, but for some reason our nation took sides on it and this unfortunately exacerbated the crisis. It is worse than I ever imagined it could get. We are in a severe public health crisis and we are not rowing in the same direction.

It is more complicated and more serious after scientists have been able to see what it does in populations with time and opportunity. It is far worse, spreads more easily, is more problematic and makes people sicker in new and incredibly complicated ways than other viruses of its type. As the pros studied it and watched and learned about this NOVEL VIRUS it is important to note that it is still revealing itself to us. It is NOVEL = NEW. It has been full of nasty surprises since it appeared to the epidemiologists. Medical professionals, virologists and epidemiologists and public health experts have been learning more and more about this cootie over the past months and most of it is not good news. The farther along we get, the more problems it it is presenting after seeing larger amounts of infected people who have had mild, moderate and severe symptoms. This is not a virus to sneeze at.

ONLY 6 months of this NEW VIRUS in our nation that has no cure/ no widespread effective treatment/ no proven vaccine:

4,240,152 @ least cases USA & rising * 145,127 @ least deaths USA & rising

In the months since an outbreak of this NEW VIRUS late last year, millions of people have been infected, with cases reported in almost every country in the world.

16,298,000 @ least cases worldwide & rising * 646,000 @ least deaths worldwide & rising

Hundreds of thousands of people are confirmed to have died of covid-19, the disease the virus causes. In many places, testing remains limited, and the true case and death counts are probably far higher than the confirmed above numbers.

*The United States reported 59,737 new coronavirus infections YESTERDAY (Sunday).
*Three states — Nevada, Texas and South Carolina: saw their seven-day averages for fatalities reach new highs yesterday.
*18 States Set Single-Day Records last Week
* Last Friday was the fourth day running that the United States reported over 1,100 deaths.

Our (THE USA) death toll amounts to more than one-fifth of the world’s death toll.

Baseball which has unlimited resources, immediate and widespread testing and agreed upon protocols and regulations etc, among ADULTS IN A BUBBLE, are experiencing significant problems after only one week of being open.

This is a severe global health emergency and it continues to accelerate.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Fun Guy, post 84: it is worse than all had initially hoped.

Absolutely true. Look at some of the early reopening states in the south and midwest: the bars and clubs were only open a couple of weeks and -- BAM -- cases and deaths have soared. Arizona, Texas and Florida all proved that if you don't keep things closed and if you don't have mask orders, the virus WILL take advantage, spread and kill people.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times
I'm over it. After the first shelter in place order in my state that went two weeks, and has since been extended indefinitely I knew the China Virus had been hijacked by the left and was no longer about public health. I have a brother in law who hasn't left his house since February. He's scared to death. He watches the "news" every day. My wife and I have been as active as we can, shopping, eating out where we can, getting our hair cut, the foot spa, massage therapist, etc.. We've had people over for meals, gone to friends houses for meals, no masks, just enjoying normal conversation like normal people.

It's all about damaging Trump by suppressing the economy and seeing how the media can control people using fear of the unknown. I stopped watching all television news years ago, so that may be why I don't fear the China Virus. I'm pretty certain my wife and I both had it in December. We had all the symptoms. She was sick for a few weeks, I got through it in about a week, but we both had a lingering cough. We won't get tested because we don't want to be on any official list.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:19 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
When the virus first hit I was watching the numbers, the death rates, following the spread and I was genuinely worried. I knew had it not been for all the social distancing and mask wearing things would be much worse. As I continue to educate myself my opinion has changed, I'm much less worried about the virus and much more worried about government over reach. We still have 1,000 people a day dying on average which is terrible, but this is a new virus and lives are going to be loss it's to be expected but it's not nearly as bad as originally projected. I'm curious if I'm the only one or if anyone else's mind has changed?

The main reasons I've changed my mind:

1) In NJ, hospitals are no longer overwhelmed, new cases and deaths are minimal, yet things are still shut down, there should simply be no reason for this. A gym owner was just arrested for refusing to shut down when every other store in the strip mall he's located is open.

2) The number of cases to death rate is now completely inconsistent. Back when new cases spiked in early April the death rate spiked about 2 weeks later. (35,000 daily cases, 2,750 deaths)... But now we had 75,000 daily cases 2 weeks ago so you'd think we'd have over 5,500 deaths but we don't, not even close, seems to average around 1,000.

3) Media and people pushing that not even a single loss of life is worth opening things back up and sending kids back to school. Well then why haven't we always shut down schools during flu season when 60,000 people die? It just feels like some weird scare tactic to keep things closed.

For a lot of people once they've made up their mind about something there's no turning back regardless of what's presented to them, I believe it's called cognitive dissonance... For me things are just no longer adding up, and I'm really starting to get worried that there is some major government over reach occuring. It's happened numerous times through history, should we be naive enough to believe it couldn't happen again?
My mind is not changed. I thought it was ridiculous to shut down the economy before, and I still do. It's government overreach at its worst, and there is still no plan in place, we are completely winging it.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:22 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
This is what I'm talking about... Early on I totally agreed with the steps being taken to be sure people are safe. Coronavirus is here, just like the flu is here.. we can't keep everything shutdown forever.
your right! When most humanity is lingering on a respirator, few will be called to work or be available to boast the economy. If that will even be a choice.

This " forever" thought process is where most folks go. Why go there? The reality is we don't have a time frame. It sure isn't a "forever" problem. Just the mindset is....

The problem is that MOST folks are doubting Thomas's. If they can't "see" the virus, surely it doesnt really affect them.

I do'nt need "death" tolls to decide if this virus is lethal or worthy of my attention to follow precautions.

Seen the after math (with my own eyes ) and understand the necessary preventive tasks to keep on keeping on.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'll take "Nobody knows squat about the long-term effects of Covid for $200 Alex."

If people don't want to take precautions that is their every right. They can go eat indoors with a hot breeze blowing across their unmasked face for all I care. I won't be in the vicinity.
BUT - This is why we can't have nice things.
If there was strict and nation-wide compliance with precautions and restrictions in April and May we would be well on our way to reopening and recovery rather than seeing things shutting down again and no end in sight.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I'm over it. After the first shelter in place order in my state that went two weeks, and has since been extended indefinitely I knew the China Virus had been hijacked by the left and was no longer about public health. I have a brother in law who hasn't left his house since February. He's scared to death. He watches the "news" every day. My wife and I have been as active as we can, shopping, eating out where we can, getting our hair cut, the foot spa, massage therapist, etc.. We've had people over for meals, gone to friends houses for meals, no masks, just enjoying normal conversation like normal people.

It's all about damaging Trump by suppressing the economy and seeing how the media can control people using fear of the unknown. I stopped watching all television news years ago, so that may be why I don't fear the China Virus. I'm pretty certain my wife and I both had it in December. We had all the symptoms. She was sick for a few weeks, I got through it in about a week, but we both had a lingering cough. We won't get tested because we don't want to be on any official list.
I'm with you in your first paragraph; disagree with you in your second.

It's not about Trump. This over-the-top reaction to Covid-19 is global. Ridiculous? Absurd? Mass hysteria? Yes. But not everything is about Trump or the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies