Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:40 PM

628 posts, read 209,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I once thought that we were all adults that could have a healthy conversation about current topics but no.

An old work buddy sent me a snippet from an article on FaceBook, I commented as I sometimes do and some idiot was offended. On this site and others I never say anything intentionally inflammatory and never something that I wouldn't say to an adult if we were face to face. I do like to post alternative thoughts, ideas and "what ifs" to spark debate but not to offend.

The idiot engaged me in a debate over the topic and then he used my words against me. He took snippets of the conversation and used them out of context to write a terrible review of my company. Of course he left out the positive comments that I had also made. My coworker is not happy about this because she has worked hard to build out reputation. She wrote a kindly letter to the guy but I doubt he will remove his comments. She has also contacted the company that carries the comments and is looking to have it removed. It doesn't seem right that someone can give us a negative review having never met us or worked with us but there it is.

I have now been successfully silenced by the kooks, doxed I guess it is called. I have now lost my Right to post an opinion on social media because of children that can't have an adult conversation.

It is not right. I guess I will go back to sharing photos of cute puppies on FB. At least we still have this forum to chat in.
Litigation for libel / slander in civil court. Get a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 12:41 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yep. Being an anonymous ghost in the machine to get your fix is sooooooo much more preferable than putting anything online with your actual name attached to it.

I fear very little, but I do fear being d0xxed by some snowflake jerkweed. My life and career took too long to get on the good foot, and no opinion of mine is worth throwing that all away.
And there's the true injustice.

You've worked your whole life to get where you are in your life and career. Your whole life. Doing all the right things. And it can all be torn away by one weak-kneed little ninja with an aversion to showering and a desire to destroy you by any means necessary because you wrote something he didn't like.

I'm on social media less and less all the time these days. Just can't handle the destructive toxicity of it. I learned a few years ago just how precious and how short life is. I'm not going to waste it arguing with a numb-nuts that I don't know and whose opinion I don't care about. I access it as the useful tool it can be in terms of business, and then I put down the machines and walk away.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:42 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It’s to the point where you can’t even be apolitical anymore. If you don’t actively support the left, you’re assumed to be hiding some kind of secret evil thoughts and they’ll come after you.
We are now approaching a Soviet Union style environment where "silence is violence". So unless you gleefully parrot their PC, Woke, SJW propaganda you will be persecuted and punished. If Biden wins, and the Congress goes all Democrat, look for the retribution and punishment to get more severe.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:42 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Snowflake gets hurt when someone is mean to him. Starts complaining about his rights because someone left a bad review of his company based on their interaction.

No stop it with your right to post online nonsense. That only applies if the government is trying to stop you, not if some random person is being a mean. More accurate post would be "Person I made mad gave me a bad review on my company". Im sure you were oh so polite. I mean its not like you've called him a kook or a idiot right?

*checks

*Oh. Oh my.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
Litigation for libel / slander in civil court. Get a lawyer.
Thats right, sue a guy over a business review. Ever heard of the streisand effect? And then he will probably lose. As OP pointed out he used his own words against him. Slander and Libel is a high bar. But then the really tough part comes in. You have to show damages in a way a judge believe you.

And then the fun part of actually collecting it begins.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:51 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Snowflake gets hurt when someone is mean to him. Starts complaining about his rights because someone left a bad review of his company based on their interaction.

No stop it with your right to post online nonsense. That only applies if the government is trying to stop you, not if some random person is being a mean. More accurate post would be "Person I made mad gave me a bad review on my company". Im sure you were oh so polite. I mean its not like you've called him a kook or a idiot right?

*checks

*Oh. Oh my.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:07 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We are now approaching a Soviet Union style environment where "silence is violence". So unless you gleefully parrot their PC, Woke, SJW propaganda you will be persecuted and punished. If Biden wins, and the Congress goes all Democrat, look for the retribution and punishment to get more severe.
Michael Malice is a guy I listen to a lot...originally from the Soviet Union, visited North Korea, etc. and is very familiar with this type of thing. I like his comparison to how people would clap continuously for the leader, and everyone was afraid of being the first to stop clapping because it could be interpreted as not being in full support of the regime.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:12 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

*checks

*Oh. Oh my.

I was actually nice to the guy and tried to explain my position using logic. I only called him an idiot when I posted here. I was nice to him because that is who I am. I didn't realize that he had written a foul review until after our interaction.

You try to be nice to someone and they still stab you in the back and that is when they become a kook an idiot but not before.

I extend my respect and this jerk didn't deserve it.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You should probably also change your thread title to "I've been silenced by the free market". We like free markets, don't we?
Free markets refer to government controls and regulations that create winners and losers often at the cost of consumers in favor of cronyism etc.

Someone quoting you out of context or making up stuff about your business is not part of the concept of "free markets".

Old 07-27-2020, 01:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Free markets refer to government controls and regulations that create winners and losers often at the cost of consumers in favor of cronyism etc.

Someone quoting you out of context or making up stuff about your business is not part of the concept of "free markets".
Is the concept of people being able to choose what businesses they do, or do not, patronize not an example of free market behavior?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies