Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,387 times

Advertisements

Listen to how dramatic conservatives are. Relating wearing a mask to infringing on their freedoms. My goodness

Oh no, doctors around the country and world are asking me to wear a mask for 20 minutes while I'm in Wal-Mart. Oh, the humanity! What has happened to America and my freedoms?! Wear a mask in public that may help protect me from contracting other people's germs and me from spreading my own germs in the middle of the biggest pandemic to his America in years.

For God's sake, just wear a mask. But so many refusing to wear one shows how many Low-IQ citizens we have in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think wearing a mask is stupid considering that most people don't wear them properly or they are made from materials that won't keep the virus out but guess what I still wear one when I go into a shop and will continue to do so even after it is not required.

Wear a mask.
Keep your distance.
Don't touch your face.
Wash your hands.

This is all pretty simple and basic stuff people to keep us all safe and I like Trump so it is not all the MAGA people. There are plenty of Lefties that are not adhering to the basic requirements.
I don’t know anyone who enjoys wearing a mask.

Covid primarily spreads via respiratory droplets when one clears their throat, sighs, talks, coughs, sneezes etc.
The purpose of the mask is to PROTECT OTHER PEOPLE , not the wearer.

Most people are not tested and test results reflect only a point in time. Most spreaders don’t know they are spreaders. Asymptomatic people or those with mild symptoms who test positive don’t necessarily self quarantine.

Covid is an equal opportunity infector.

My state requires masks in all stores and other places where it is not possible to maintain distance. Generally speaking, most folk appear to comply.

Last week there was a guy in line at the grocery checkout without a mask. No one said anything but gave him a lot of space. When his turn came, the cashier declined to ring up his purchase And closed the lane. . He let loose with a stream of profanity. His spittle was visible. He threw his beer down and stormed out of the store.

This store, like all stores in my area, will accommodate anyone with curbside pick- up. He had no reason to enter the store without a mask in violation of the state order and store policy.

Had the cashier chosen to engage with him, it was easy to see how he might have become violent.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The masks have NOT been "proven to work", and in fact, states like CA that have a mandatory mask law for anytime you go outside, have a spike in their cases, not less cases.

No. Evidence. that the masks work - because they don't. Further, the WHO is the one that came out and said that most of the cases were happening during "containment". Not by people being out and about, but by those who were contained in their homes for months on end.

What does work:

Getting out of people's personal space - you don't need to be close enough to be breathing on people - and I've been for this far longer than this dumb virus.

Washing you fricken hands! Why are so many people too lazy to wash their hands? Running water over them is not "washing your hands". Using sanitizer is not "washing your hands". People need to be washing their hands often, and long enough, and with fricken soap. But they're too lazy, and they go out into the world, touch everything that they see, and then touch everything else, cross contaminating. But, hey, they got a mask on. Der.

You could also realize how much cross contamination you're doing in your own home when you come in from being out in the world, and you clomp all over your house with the shoes you were just wearing out in the filthy world. Or the clothes that you were just wearing out in the filthy world - all those chairs, seats, and benches you just sat on - you brought all of that home and are now putting it all over your own furniture. Hurray.

Or when they get a delivery, they drag that filthy box into their home, down the hallway, into the living room, where they open it, leave it lying there all over the floor, and then touch their shiny new object with their filthy hands that they just used to rip open the filthy box that has been manhandled by who knows how many people on the way to their house.

I've said all of this, and more, many, many, many times on here. Some people have admitted that they will not "do all of that", and others just ignore their own stupidity.

A dumb mask isn't protecting you - you aren't wearing an n95 mask.

Doing all of that other stuff can absolutely keep you healthier. Stop relying on a piece of cloth strapped to your face as your end all be all shield. It's useless.
The purpose of the “ dumb” mask is to PROTECT OTHERS, not the wearer. Most people are not tested and the test is only good for a point in time. Most people with the virus don’t have symptoms or experience mild symptoms. Not everyone who tests positive self quarantines, especially when asymptomatic.

The virus primarily spreads person to person by respiratory droplets.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:09 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The masks have NOT been "proven to work", and in fact, states like CA that have a mandatory mask law for anytime you go outside, have a spike in their cases, not less cases.

No. Evidence. that the masks work - because they don't. Further, the WHO is the one that came out and said that most of the cases were happening during "containment". Not by people being out and about, but by those who were contained in their homes for months on end.

What does work:

Getting out of people's personal space - you don't need to be close enough to be breathing on people - and I've been for this far longer than this dumb virus.

Washing you fricken hands! Why are so many people too lazy to wash their hands? Running water over them is not "washing your hands". Using sanitizer is not "washing your hands". People need to be washing their hands often, and long enough, and with fricken soap. But they're too lazy, and they go out into the world, touch everything that they see, and then touch everything else, cross contaminating. But, hey, they got a mask on. Der.

You could also realize how much cross contamination you're doing in your own home when you come in from being out in the world, and you clomp all over your house with the shoes you were just wearing out in the filthy world. Or the clothes that you were just wearing out in the filthy world - all those chairs, seats, and benches you just sat on - you brought all of that home and are now putting it all over your own furniture. Hurray.

Or when they get a delivery, they drag that filthy box into their home, down the hallway, into the living room, where they open it, leave it lying there all over the floor, and then touch their shiny new object with their filthy hands that they just used to rip open the filthy box that has been manhandled by who knows how many people on the way to their house.

I've said all of this, and more, many, many, many times on here. Some people have admitted that they will not "do all of that", and others just ignore their own stupidity.

A dumb mask isn't protecting you - you aren't wearing an n95 mask.

Doing all of that other stuff can absolutely keep you healthier. Stop relying on a piece of cloth strapped to your face as your end all be all shield. It's useless.
How many Asian countries do you want before your acknowledge facts?

Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia... All early adopters of masks. All are among the lowest countries for outbreaks.

Europe? Czech republic and Slovakia were the first countries to masks and they have the lowest rates in Europe.

US, UK, Brazil... All have lower mask adoption rates and they have among the highest Covid rates.

How many more examples do you need to get it through your head?

There's a strong correlation between masks adoption and covid rates.

You don't need N95 masks to limit the spread. That's just some dumb lie you've been fed to help you keep up the charade.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
They can't really enforce, with the "anyone with a medical or mental health exception" factored in, though.

Our governor's mandate includes those exceptions; no requirement to "prove" one has the exception.

So I'm thrilled about this loophole.

Those with diagnosed medical conditions that might be aggravated by a mask are rare according to pulmonary disease MDs. Those who are compromised are far more vulnerable to complications of this virus and would be better off isolating.

More likely many who claim to have a medical condition, don’t. For whatever reason, they choose to not wear a mask and have no interest in PROTECTING OTHERS from their own respiratory droplets.

Big box and most other stores and restaurants have curb side pick up.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM

186 posts, read 67,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
Eh i worked in a pathology lab at a hospital for 4 years and can count on one hand how many times i wore a mask. Never even wore them in surgery. Doctor did but they had a tube down the patient's throat and they tend to spit up now and then...the masks are an absolute myth and in no way stop something as small as virus particles

Hmmmmm wondering why you only worked there 4 years. Or perhaps the better question is, how were you able to last that long by disregarding common/universal infection control procedures and protocol? Most surgeons I know would have kicked you out of the O.R. if the circulating nurse hadn't already dragged you out by your uncovered nose.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:26 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Link mentions the incident of a Dollar Store Security Guard being shot and killed over a mask. A mask !

3 family members have been charged with First Degree murder. They felt disrespected.

Other family members have also been charged with assorted crimes, including relocating the shooter’s family.

Hospitals are full of people who wear masks for their entire shift.

Wearing a mask for a 15 minute visit to a store is a minor inconvenience. All stores are doing the curb side pick up thing to accommodate consumers.

Anyone who believes a mask impacts their breathing are likely among the most vulnerable to the virus and should Probably avoid going anywhere, where Extreme social distancing is not possible.
Agreed. Wear the mask if they ask, even if you don't think masks are needed, just do it out of a courtesy.

However, some of those cloth masks, like my employer bought for all of us to wear, restrict breathing quite a bit. My N95 mask causes me to breath with a little more effort, but wow, that cloth mask is like trying to breath thru a pillow. Normal breathing with that mask requires as much effort as fast paced run, or vigorous bicycling. It's crazy.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:33 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Guy View Post

Hmmmmm wondering why you only worked there 4 years. Or perhaps the better question is, how were you able to last that long by disregarding common/universal infection control procedures and protocol? Most surgeons I know would have kicked you out of the O.R. if the circulating nurse hadn't already dragged you out by your uncovered nose.
Surgical masks do not filter out viruses.

From the Mayo Clinic's web site:

Also called a medical mask, a surgical mask is a loose-fitting disposable mask that protects the wearer's nose and mouth from contact with droplets, splashes and sprays that may contain germs. A surgical mask also filters out large particles in the air. Surgical masks may protect others by reducing exposure to the saliva and respiratory secretions of the mask wearer.

And yet...... we are being lectured to that wearing masks, similar to surgical masks, will protect us from the virus. It a lie. Sure, wearing those cheap masks can help prevent phlegm and mucus from flying thru the air and getting in your eyes or mouth, when a person coughs or sneezes, but that's about it.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:46 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
"Mental health exception"? They're the ones who most need to be masked. Fortunately, I've heard of no such nonsense in my neck of the woods.

Be thrilled all you want, but you're only hurting yourself.
Yes, panic attacks. I have a panic disorder, many triggers but one of them is anything covering my face. I can't even pull turtlenecks over my head *shuddering*.

Trust me having a panic disorder sucks rancid ass. Mine is childhood abuse related, part of PTSD. I've read about adult rape victims having similar triggers, if the rapist covered their face.

I'm not worried about contracting the virus; I have a kickass immune system and am in excellent health, never catch anything. Like seriously never. Never did even when I had kids in school. I'm 57 and had flu twice only, decades apart.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-28-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-28-2020, 08:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those with diagnosed medical conditions that might be aggravated by a mask are rare according to pulmonary disease MDs. Those who are compromised are far more vulnerable to complications of this virus and would be better off isolating.

More likely many who claim to have a medical condition, don’t. For whatever reason, they choose to not wear a mask and have no interest in PROTECTING OTHERS from their own respiratory droplets.

Big box and most other stores and restaurants have curb side pick up.
I know, you're correct! TBH I'm not concerned about protecting others; I don't think I've ever sneezed in a store in my life, seriously. Who walks around sneezing/coughing in public? It's kind of rare in my experience. I also never "chat" to anyone and use self checkout, ALWAYS.

Mine is a "mental health" thing. See my post above if you want, for details.

I don't like curbside pickup because I get my meat from the clearance section, and who wants a stranger choosing their meat or produce?

I DO use Amazon for most non edible things though, as I am a straight up recluse and adore delivery and not going to the store. If I weren't fussy about picking out my own meat/produce I would have all delivered for sure.

I'm not saying I'm like special...just citing my case as one reason some of us may object to the mask, is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies