Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
President Bush has done a good job with what has been thrown in his lap (including failed intelligence on Clinton's watch - Can you say SANDY BERGER??) - but democrats / liberals have to find something to whine about or they aren't happy. Fabulous economy ~ record stock market growth ~ lowest unemployment, etc. But there will always be someone finding fault.
Regarding GW... I think we have a right to complain, when our soldiers are dying by the thousands, and BILLIONS of dollars are being dumped into a war most disagree with. But I guess for you, it's all about how much money we're making in the stock market... Anyway, wasn't his last approval rating at 29%??? I think Dems/liberals make up around 50% (more or less) of the total population, so obviously it's not just the evil libs who hate him!!

And if you can't handle hearing differing opinions, by all means, go to a "conservatives only" forum... but I guarantee there will still be disagreements, since the beauty of being a human is that we all have different views. Labeling one as "liberal or conservative" is merely about how we vote, and doesn't mean everyone subscribes to the same exact beliefs. Btw, I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican, and these are the reasons why. I refuse to put myself in a category, especially when I don't fully agree with either side. Obviously I'm left-wing leaning, but I register with a different party (Dem, Green or Libertarian) every election.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-06-2007 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:

Mike, profits from big business are private funds. They do not belong to the public and are not under the purvue of the goverment. Oil companies are private. The U.S. doesn't control them--thank goodness! What they do with their profits is their businees, not yours, unless you're a shareholder.
Wow.
So big business--especially the oil business--is completely above board: no lobbyists,no influence at all in Washington.
What they do to the environment is very much my business.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Interesting. Are you sure it's Fox? It sounds more CNN or MSNBC ~ a bunch of liberals bashing conservatives. That, I've witnessed. On Fox I hear from both sides.
I haven't watched FOX many times, since it makes me a bit ill... but we can't deny they are biased toward the right-wing. And maybe CNN is biased too (never watch them, unless something really big is happening), which I guess would just even the score. This is why I read the news instead, from a number of sources, so I can form my own opinions. And I also enjoy watching Jon Stewart & Colbert Report, since they are sadly more accurate than some of the major networks.

Btw, did anyone see that FOX News coverage of the Tom Foley scandal, where they "incorrectly" called him a Democrat over & over?? Now you can't tell me that was just an accident, LOL.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Btw, did anyone see that FOX News coverage of the Tom Foley scandal, where they "incorrectly" called him a Democrat over & over?? Now you can't tell me that was just an accident, LOL.
Not only that, they then later aired footage with the "Democrat" label scrubbed out, but no Republican label. And they never ran a correction.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Not only that, they then later aired footage with the "Democrat" label scrubbed out, but no Republican label. And they never ran a correction.
Yep... that's exactly what I was talking about. Funny how they conveniently made that "error", isn't it?

Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
I don't think Bush has done a good job at all. If you are too sensitive to hear criticism of "unrational ppl", stop whining and post on that site.
There is room for both sides. It's called diplomacy.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Wow.
So big business--especially the oil business--is completely above board: no lobbyists,no influence at all in Washington.
What they do to the environment is very much my business.
Yeah they are above board

Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
I don't happen to be Jewish, but it's my understanding that they have a rule about harvesting the fields. The "gleanings" are left for the poor.

Grinding every last dime out of what you do on this earth to make a living may be legal. I think it should be legal. But, it's bad manners and contrary to our traditions, which I happen to think are worthy ones.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I don't happen to be Jewish, but it's my understanding that they have a rule about harvesting the fields. The "gleanings" are left for the poor.

Grinding every last dime out of what you do on this earth to make a living may be legal. I think it should be legal. But, it's bad manners and contrary to our traditions, which I happen to think are worthy ones.
What are you talking about?? I AM Jewish, and have no clue what you're referring to here... and don't tell me "it's in the Bible/Torah", because you can find a passage about anything in the Bible (both Old & New Testaments).

Does this mean to work as hard as possible, and to earn whatever you can? If so, I don't really see a problem in that, as long as you aren't unfairly taking from others. Jewish culture does stress the importance of hard work, but to quote the Army, that's more in terms of "being all you can be" - not so much a greed thing. Even if it was about being greedy, many people of ALL religions/backgrounds are... and quite honestly, that is a part of American tradition. Am I wrong?

Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
It has to do with what is and should be legally permissable, and that there is a distinction between that, and what is morally permissable.

I got the information I alluded to by googling the terms "gleanings" and "Torah." I found a really interesting site that I bookmarked for further study.

In my daily life, I encounter a lot of casual anti-semitism, which I always take exception to. I attempt to explain to these people that Jewish law and the Torah are the foundation of all law, and the whole Western tradition of jurisprudence. Without these things, we are, in Kipling's phrase, "lesser breeds without the law."

People who don't know where they came from are apt not to know where they're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies