Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 AM

211 posts, read 290,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
ACLU defends NMBLA because they are defending free speech, the same Constitutional right that allows the KKK to march down the streets of Skokie, Illinois. Some people believe bad things, and enjoy parading their beliefs in public. Like it or not, our Constitution guarantees that right.
Groups like the KKK help promote the ADL, the SPLC, etc's agendas. They marginalize and make anyone who dares question the policy of allowing Whites to become minorities in their own countries somehow appear like they are some sort of scum; where-as, the world majority races while minorities in White countries are allowed to have pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 06:32 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you wanted to secede from the union, I wouldn't organize a protest march.
I wish we could sometimes... especially after hearing how "loved" we are, by people who often haven't even visited. (no I don't know if you've visited or not, but it's still a very rude thing to say)

Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 AM

146 posts, read 571,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Anything to make a buck. Maybe this is how they intend to control the population explosion and balance the babyboomer lifespan which is soon to suck up medicare??????

KimmieyKy
What's wrong with making money? America is capitalism at its very best! I love Wal-Mart. Love, love, love low prices. Love them. And the military complex, love them too. G-d bless the military complex and all their fabulous weaponry that keeps us the world's only superpower. Love them.

Admit it, after you finished typing, you ran out to Starbucks and hit the after-Christmas sales.

And who is "they" anyway? We control our lives more than your post suggests. Do you really want to embrace victimhood?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
What's wrong with making money? America is capitalism at its very best! I love Wal-Mart. Love, love, love low prices. Love them. And the military complex, love them too. G-d bless the military complex and all their fabulous weaponry that keeps us the world's only superpower. Love them.

Admit it, after you finished typing, you ran out to Starbucks and hit the after-Christmas sales.

And who is "they" anyway? We control our lives more than your post suggests. Do you really want to embrace victimhood?
Um, no. No after-Christmas sales, or Starbucks, for me.
No making mindless "money-saving" purchases for me.
And Wal-Mart is now losing money (sales fell during the holiday season) perhaps because people are realizing that neither their prices nor their policies are the best.
As for the military complex and its fabulous weaponry, the military industrial complex includes more than Halliburton--there is the CIA and all its dirty little wars that don't make the front page.
In the somewhat dubious name of national security, American "superpower" has switched from the people to the Pentagon.
I look at "they" and the corporate cronyism and the war profiteers not so much as an entity which makes me *personally* a victim.
I see them more as a sleazy, arrogant covert white-collar posse with no thought to the average Joe Sixpack, let alone our planet--and this diminishes all well-intentioned Americans.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Not too long ago, I read a book called "Nickel and Dimed." I'd recommend it highly.

Low prices at Wal-Mart are a direct result of the way they treat people, and where they buy what they sell. Respectively, like crap; and, totalitarian communist China.

I often hear, 'why do you buy stuff at that local store when you can get it cheaper at Big Box, Inc?' Because that extra money buys me the satisfaction of knowing that I am supporting local businesses and the American worker, my neighbor.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
America is capitalism at its very best! I love Wal-Mart. Love, love, love low prices. Love them. And the military complex, love them too. G-d bless the military complex and all their fabulous weaponry that keeps us the world's only superpower. Love them.

Perhaps, you are being facetious, at least in the first paragraph.

Yesterday, I saw some CEO character talking about siting semiconductor plants in other countries, citing the much lower costs, and looking for tax breaks as the solution. One wonders if they would find those lower costs so attractive, if they were listed on a website called TRAITOR!.com, or if they had a bunch of protestors outside their corporate headquaters waving signs saying DON'T BUY PRODUCTS MADE BY THIRD WORLD SLAVES.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Not too long ago, I read a book called "Nickel and Dimed." I'd recommend it highly.

Low prices at Wal-Mart are a direct result of the way they treat people, and where they buy what they sell. Respectively, like crap; and, totalitarian communist China.

I often hear, 'why do you buy stuff at that local store when you can get it cheaper at Big Box, Inc?' Because that extra money buys me the satisfaction of knowing that I am supporting local businesses and the American worker, my neighbor.
Well put.

Wal-Mart and its ilk exist because of slave labor. We didn't end slave labor in the United States, we simply exported it. And if the neo-cons get their way, we'll be bringing it back in. They won't call it slavery. They'll call it "free market economics" or "free trade," but in the end it will amount to little more than slave labor.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Whats funny is how I can go to Walmart, then Target then Kmart and see the Exact same product, from the Exact same makers. And I dont care how much money you make, to leave the stores filthy and be rude or completely ignore customers, I wouldnt want to pay them more either. Targets are cleaner but still no luck with helpfull employees.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
I frankly don't care about the labor practices in other countries but with all this outsourcing nonsense by the Neo-Cons (which is increasingly becoming a "racist slander" -- google it) we're going to cause our downfall. You can't outsource everything for lower cost -- you ruin the country's ability to manufacture, protect itself, and maintain domestic industry.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:12 PM

431 posts, read 393,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Well put.

Wal-Mart and its ilk exist because of slave labor. We didn't end slave labor in the United States, we simply exported it. And if the neo-cons get their way, we'll be bringing it back in. They won't call it slavery. They'll call it "free market economics" or "free trade," but in the end it will amount to little more than slave labor.

Slave labor? Really? I've always been under the impression that people WILLINGLY applied for jobs at Wal-Mart, WILLINGLY accepted jobs at Wal-Mart and WILLINGLY continue to work at Wal-Mart. I don't see the correlation with choice of employer vs slave labor??? Maybe you're smarter than me, though.

Please don't retort with "that's the only place some people have to work", etc. People make choices such as education, or lack of. I have no sympathy for anyone who works at Wal-Mart that COULD HAVE made better choices in their life. And let's not forget that the majority of workers at Wal-Mart like their jobs. And Wal-Mart has been on the Fortune Top 20 LIst of companies for 10 of the last 20 years. It's a solid employer, like it or not. You just continue to shop where you would like, and those of us who LOVE Wal-Mart will continue to shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies