Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 08:11 AM

67 posts, read 44,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Wait. Can you link the actual tweet?
Your post is a tiny bit confusing.
He retweeted the American Conservative tweet.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
He is creating a hostile environment. He should be fired. They all should be fired.
Harassment and Firing are just not enough punishment for the Leftists.
A man loses his entire Career ... and blows his brains out.
Is that enough punishment?

UNC Wilmington professor Mike Adams died by suicide - New York Post

Adams, who reportedly reached a $500,000 settlement with the university, was set to retire on Aug. 1. He had been the target of several Change.org petitions calling for his ouster over “misogynistic, xenophobic, transphobic, homophobic, [and] racist rhetoric” tweets, including calling people protesting George Floyd’s police-custody death in Minneapolis as “thugs looking for an opportunity” to break laws without consequence.

His social media presence prompted university officials to denounce his “hateful, hurtful” language in a June 5 statement, saying his remarks were “absolutely reprehensible” but protected by the First Amendment.

How about a reality check? The Police Officer involved in the George Floyd death was Charged with Murder and arrested within days of Floyd’s death ..... that was over 2 months ago and yet the Riots and MOBS have been killing people and burning Cities ever since then.

The ONE thing we know for sure is that these Riots, burnings, Looting have ZERO to do with George Floyd.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
He retweeted the American Conservative tweet.
Those mothers are completely OUT of their minds.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
You know what I have the freedom and intelligence not to do? Read tweets.

If you do not like or would likely be offended by anyone'; random stranger, family member, friend, teachers, Trumps, tweet dont get on your device and go to there.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I find it downright disheartening that simple words uttered by another can cause people to react in such vehement, over-the-top ways. There is nothing in our Constitution that protects ears from the words of another ... no matter how offensive. The punitive desire to strip people of their livelihood because they said something you didn’t like is so anti-American it’s a travesty.

I wish people would grow up and behave like the adults they are.
Don't people realize the Constitution only gives us the right to say something, not it protects us from reactions to what we say? I see this all the time when someone's banned from social media or a forum. People call it censorship but the person broke the website's terms of service (TOS.) For example you cannot personally attack a poster on here, use hate speech (which really isn't enforced) or an attempt to out someone based on where they live or who employs them.

Now I will say we can make the argument that often times these are not treated fairly and there is preferential treatment. I wouldn't disagree much about that. But that is different than the policy. The biggest thing we need to remember is that freedom of speech doesn't mean you don't have to deal with the consequences of what you said.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A man loses his entire Career ... and blows his brains out. Is that enough punishment?
Guy went into education, what did he expect?

I bet he spent all his life saying how much he loved America. Right-wingers really are idiots.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:27 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Fire a teacher?
I some places it takes around $500,000 in legal proceedings and fees before a teacher can be fired. It's easier to do like New York and sideline them until their time comes to retire.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A man loses his entire Career ... and blows his brains out.
Is that enough punishment?

UNC Wilmington professor Mike Adams died by suicide - New York Post

Adams, who reportedly reached a $500,000 settlement with the university, was set to retire on Aug. 1. He had been the target of several Change.org petitions calling for his ouster over “misogynistic, xenophobic, transphobic, homophobic, [and] racist rhetoric” tweets, including calling people protesting George Floyd’s police-custody death in Minneapolis as “thugs looking for an opportunity” to break laws without consequence.

His social media presence prompted university officials to denounce his “hateful, hurtful” language in a June 5 statement, saying his remarks were “absolutely reprehensible” but protected by the First Amendment.

How about a reality check? The Police Officer involved in the George Floyd death was Charged with Murder and arrested within days of Floyd’s death ..... that was over 2 months ago and yet the Riots and MOBS have been killing people and burning Cities ever since then.

The ONE thing we know for sure is that these Riots, burnings, Looting have ZERO to do with George Floyd.
This is nothing more than hyperbolic horse hockey and you know it. Firing someone based on social media comments is typically good enough. Unless they murdered or perhaps raped children, forcing someone to off themselves is wrong regardless of who does it.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 652,790 times
My thoughts are that I disagree with it, but let me copy and paste what I posted in the teaching subforum here.

I'm in no way a fan of cancel culture, but as anyone who works with the public (ex: police, firefighters, teachers, nurses, etc.) your 1st Amendment rights do not apply or protect you from the consequences of free speech. It just states that you can say it without being arrested.

It is sad that people will try and get people fired for anything they post on social media (and I see both sides of the political aisle doing this by the way). Unfortunately for a teacher, cop, etc. that is the reality of the situation in that if you make enough people upset by what you post on social media you will gain enough backlash to where the district/job almost has to let you go.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Don't people realize the Constitution only gives us the right to say something, not it protects us from reactions to what we say? I see this all the time when someone's banned from social media or a forum. People call it censorship but the person broke the website's terms of service (TOS.) For example you cannot personally attack a poster on here, use hate speech (which really isn't enforced) or an attempt to out someone based on where they live or who employs them.

Now I will say we can make the argument that often times these are not treated fairly and there is preferential treatment. I wouldn't disagree much about that. But that is different than the policy. The biggest thing we need to remember is that freedom of speech doesn't mean you don't have to deal with the consequences of what you said.
I totally understand the consequences of free speech. And some people simply can’t filter themselves no matter what. I understand that companies will dispose of employees who embarrass them publicly. It’s their right, and I respect that.

My qualm is with the type of people who engage in “tattling”, “reporting”, and even organizing groups that target people for their language, and work en masse to “out” that person to the community. I don’t want to be around people that petty and punitive. They’re insufferable, they’re dangerous, and they act on authority given to them by no one but themselves.

In general, I find that people who explode with rage and retribution upon reading something they don’t like to be the real problem. Their inability to cope in a society of mixed opinions, languages, and ideas makes them undesirable folks to be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies