Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,343 times

Advertisements

Both the liberals and conservatives talk about Whites fleeing from minority neighborhoods due to increasing crime and declining schools. Here's an article about Whites fleeing Asian neighborhoods for the opposite reasons: the schools are so competitive/intense that they feel left behind and there are minimal/non-existent athletic programs in Asian dominated schools. With Covid causing most schools to go online possibly the entire 2020-2021 school year, the gap will increase more as large numbers of Asian teens completing college level math and sciences through online courses. What if the majority of doctors, scientists, and engineers in all of the U.S. (already the case in Silicon Valley) are Asian by 2030? How do we stop whites from fleeing these neighborhoods described in the article below and what can be done to reduce this Asian-White gap in achievement?

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...n-be-done.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Uh, who cares what race your x, y, or z is? If it's based on merit count me in.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:20 PM

7,909 posts, read 3,454,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
What if the majority of doctors, scientists, and engineers in all of the U.S. are Asian by 2030?

If they are US citizens and they were the best candidates for the jobs then I fail to see the problem.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:23 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
The United States is supposed to be a meritocracy. We should be striving to get the best doctors, scientists, and engineers that we can. If they all happen to be Asian, so be it.

As for the achievement gap, most of it is self-inflicted. We as a country can offer up the opportunity to gain an education, but there are measurable differences in the rates at which the various groups take advantage of this opportunity. If Asian kids (as a group) are more diligent in studying than white kids, then it stands to reason that the Asian kids will have higher academic achievement. This is why I don't really concern myself with all the hand-wringing about the achievement gap -- because its solution lies within each person, not within "society" as a whole.

Incidentally, I really wish that we would make a distinction between East Asians and South Asians. They look nothing alike. When we talk about the "Asian" achievement gap, are we talking about East Asians, or South Asians, or both?

Old 07-28-2020, 05:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,343 times
[quote=bus man;58766193]The United States is supposed to be a meritocracy. We should be striving to get the best doctors, scientists, and engineers that we can. If they all happen to be Asian, so be it.

As for the achievement gap, most of it is self-inflicted. We as a country can offer up the opportunity to gain an education, but there are measurable differences in the rates at which the various groups take advantage of this opportunity. If Asian kids (as a group) are more diligent in studying than white kids, then it stands to reason that the Asian kids will have higher academic achievement. This is why I don't really concern myself with all the hand-wringing about the achievement gap -- because its solution lies within each person, not within "society" as a whole.

Incidentally, I really wish that we would make a distinction between East Asians and South Asians. They look nothing alike. When we talk about the "Asian" achievement gap, are we talking about East Asians, or South Asians, or both?[/quote]

They look nothing alike but both groups have similar achievement levels. East Asians have the benefit of looking "Asian" while South Asians can easily be mistaken for Black or Hispanic (depending on if they are light or dark skinned) when traveling to or living in areas of the U.S. without a large South Asian population so we are rightly "people of color." South Asians are even more conservative than East Asians in terms of family, marriage, and not allowing their kids to date but the ones who are raised here tend to integrate into larger upper middle class white society anyway.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Both the liberals and conservatives talk about Whites fleeing from minority neighborhoods due to increasing crime and declining schools. Here's an article about Whites fleeing Asian neighborhoods for the opposite reasons: the schools are so competitive/intense that they feel left behind and there are minimal/non-existent athletic programs in Asian dominated schools. With Covid causing most schools to go online possibly the entire 2020-2021 school year, the gap will increase more as large numbers of Asian teens completing college level math and sciences through online courses. What if the majority of doctors, scientists, and engineers in all of the U.S. (already the case in Silicon Valley) are Asian by 2030? How do we stop whites from fleeing these neighborhoods described in the article below and what can be done to reduce this Asian-White gap in achievement?

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...n-be-done.html
So you shared an op-ed about an Asian American's experience? Do you have any other sources to highlight this new phenomenon of white flight and the reasoning behind it? If it's Silicon Valley we are talking about, I would say that a lot of the white families are probably getting priced out or are aging out. Most the article actually talks about how the students self segregate. Given the case that the white students and Asian students take different classes from one another, that would be a reason for the self segregation.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:37 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,572 times
So, one school represents a trend? Seems like a pretty narrow set of schools this would apply to. At the same time, this is not surprising to me. Liberals have been saying for years that we push kids too hard, and we need to “let the kids learn at their own rate”. Not all liberals mind you but a faction.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:40 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
So you shared an op-ed about an Asian American's experience? Do you have any other sources to highlight this new phenomenon of white flight and the reasoning behind it? If it's Silicon Valley we are talking about, I would say that a lot of the white families are probably getting priced out or are aging out. Most the article actually talks about how the students self segregate. Given the case that the white students and Asian students take different classes from one another, that would be a reason for the self segregation.
I've seen a number of reports about this. It's not really all that new. As far as I can tell, it seems to be mainly a California thing; maybe because the Asian population is larger there, I don't know.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:41 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've seen a number of reports about this. It's not really all that new. As far as I can tell, it seems to be mainly a California thing; maybe because the Asian population is larger there, I don't know.
About a new type of white flight related to this phenomenon?

Old 07-28-2020, 05:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Ridiculous. Asians have moved into my community BECAUSE the schools were competitive and white people don't seem to have a problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies