Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:16 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I think that advantage will vanish by 3 generations. Doctors / Engineers / PhDs from India Pakistan Bangladesh China got their education in their native countries - atleast at Undergraduate level. That gave them an edge while attending Univ or working in USA. The increased earnings and Homes in better neighbourhoods helped next generation in getting education or setting up of businesses.

But that advantage will diminish by 3 generations or say in 100 years time.

They are Americans now.

One reason immigrants are successful is that they are supposed to fill the gap. They are looking at IT engineer from Bangalore or MBBS from Karachi, not US born people of same demographics
Well, in the medical field, there is a bit of a hurdle if you're a foreign trained physician to practice in the USA - you have to go through the licensing procedure and it's not easy. So there is an adjustment.

I think it depends on what you bring to the table in terms of skills - so if you do have such that are readily usable - there is a lot of opportunity available - as you noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 11:24 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Is it the chicken or the egg first? By that, the question is was "the" school(s) or school district high performing and therefore Asians moved in "the" school(s) district so their children could benefit from "the" high performing school(s)? Or were the schools, good or adequate and the influx of Asian families and students made them better, good, even great?

A question I do not think has been addressed in this thread, nor am I aware of any 'studies' of the question.
As I said in another post, in my area of the country, there were very few Asians growing up in a suburb with a high percentage of Jews. These were the good school systems back then. Now, they are still the good school systems, and they are 1/4 Asian now. They were top ranked when they were "Jewish neighborhoods" and they are still top ranked now that they are mixed "Jewish/Asian neighborhoods". I don't think it is a coincidence that every, once Jewish, suburb in the area now has a high population of Asians.

I am sure there are non-Jewish areas that became good school districts as Asians moved in. So both cases are happening.

So I don't think it is a chicken/egg thing. That would imply that it is difficult to know the origin. It is easy enough to trace each area individually back to the origin of the school's high ranking..

Old 08-07-2020, 01:31 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,359,747 times
That certainly has been the case out here in SoCal, with many white residents moving out to the Pacific Northwest or to other neighboring states.

Just goes to show that people will prefer to congregate to others more similar to them in race, religion, culture, values, and so on.

You can't really force integration...

Old 08-07-2020, 01:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Is it the chicken or the egg first? By that, the question is was "the" school(s) or school district high performing and therefore Asians moved in "the" school(s) district so their children could benefit from "the" high performing school(s)? Or were the schools, good or adequate and the influx of Asian families and students made them better, good, even great?

A question I do not think has been addressed in this thread, nor am I aware of any 'studies' of the question.
Speaking for the area I went to school. It is highly ranked for public schools. Now Asians are about 20% of the student body and it is still highly ranked. On average they perform better than other groups because they have a very high rate of 2 parent families.

Old 08-07-2020, 05:43 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:

I would guess that if there are areas where White folk are "fleeing" at a loss rather than have their kids get a B rather than an A then the school was good before an influx of Asians.

If White folk fled because of Asian refugees congregating in a certain area, which happened 40 years ago, then it wasn't the fear of only getting a B that influenced the move but rather the fear of having an Asian grandchild.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,638 times
I know anecdotes aren't always representative of the entire population but I want to tell you about two families I know and how they homeschooled their young kids when the schools were shut down from March through June:

Family 1) White extreme liberal stay at home 35 year old mom who is the most pro BLM person I know. She regularly marches in BLM protests (the ones here are truly peaceful though) every Saturday which are held in the whitest town in our county (the town of Los Gatos is about 80 percent White while the other towns and large city of San Jose have much larger Asian and Hispanic populations). She and her 7 year old made BLM posters, BLM murals, baked BLM cakes, BLM collages, and posted them all over social media. It looks like that's all she taught him

Family 2) Immigrants from mainland China with 2 daughters around 8 and 4. Both parents work in the IT industry and speak decent English but it's not perfect. When the schools closed, they hired a native English speaker to babysit AND tutor the girls in reading and language every morning so they could work from home without being distracted AND get their kids taught something that they can't teach: perfect American English. In the evening, they would work with their daughters on math, violin, piano, and watch science documentaries together as a family.

I know there are White families like family 2 but it's true on the average that a larger percentage of Asians are much more dedicated to giving their kids a strong education and will find ways to fill the gap even when everything was closed for Covid.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I would guess that if there are areas where White folk are "fleeing" at a loss rather than have their kids get a B rather than an A then the school was good before an influx of Asians.

If White folk fled because of Asian refugees congregating in a certain area, which happened 40 years ago, then it wasn't the fear of only getting a B that influenced the move but rather the fear of having an Asian grandchild.
Again, I don't know if it's White folks "fleeing" an area with an influx of Asian families. As I've said, it's more the case of the established Caucasian families become empty nesters/retire & move away/die - and the ones moving in, more and more, are Asian families with school aged children in areas. That's the case in Santa Clara County with communities like Cupertino and Saratoga.

Now, it's certainly possible that when a non-Asian household is considering moving to an area with a school district that is plurality or majority Asian, they might think twice about it if they feel that the school environment doesn't fit their children.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I know anecdotes aren't always representative of the entire population but I want to tell you about two families I know and how they homeschooled their young kids when the schools were shut down from March through June:

Family 1) White extreme liberal stay at home 35 year old mom who is the most pro BLM person I know. She regularly marches in BLM protests (the ones here are truly peaceful though) every Saturday which are held in the whitest town in our county (the town of Los Gatos is about 80 percent White while the other towns and large city of San Jose have much larger Asian and Hispanic populations). She and her 7 year old made BLM posters, BLM murals, baked BLM cakes, BLM collages, and posted them all over social media. It looks like that's all she taught him

Family 2) Immigrants from mainland China with 2 daughters around 8 and 4. Both parents work in the IT industry and speak decent English but it's not perfect. When the schools closed, they hired a native English speaker to babysit AND tutor the girls in reading and language every morning so they could work from home without being distracted AND get their kids taught something that they can't teach: perfect American English. In the evening, they would work with their daughters on math, violin, piano, and watch science documentaries together as a family.

I know there are White families like family 2 but it's true on the average that a larger percentage of Asians are much more dedicated to giving their kids a strong education and will find ways to fill the gap even when everything was closed for Covid.
Spot on! Excellent post!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:17 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've seen a number of reports about this. It's not really all that new. As far as I can tell, it seems to be mainly a California thing; maybe because the Asian population is larger there, I don't know.
Friend of a friend left coppell Texas because too many Indians were there.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:15 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
This is a SLATE article .Just helping put a wedge between groups of Americans .The left cant get the Asians to protest with blm so they will marginalize them from the conversation. eg.the Asians are to bright to be Woke patsys to be played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies